• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spa Franchorchamps, the day after......

Friday morning.
Got the car all nicely washed and cleaned, ready for the short trip to Spa, together with Gerard and my misses Ilse. We met at a fuelstation just below Eindhoven, to finish the other couple of kilometers to the circuit in Stavelot, Belgium.
After checking in at the hotel and unloading the trunks, we went to the circuit straight away, to catch some of the last trainingssesions of that day. At the circuit we met Guus (we all know him), Mark (Dali), Guy (the guy with the BMW M coupe who came along to the Sachsenring, and we all know where that lead to
wink.gif
), and Guus his best mate Micha.
On the way there, we signed in for the circuit paddock and payed the fees for the driving on saturday and sunday
eek.gif

The paddock was full with truck and trailers from the Porsche club, which we shared the track with this weekend. The rest was filled with the guys from the other country's with the Integra's NSX's and an occasional Civic and S2000.
The noise on the track was just incredible. It's been a long time i have been on a track where this sort of volume is allowed. The BMW M1's screaming from the top of their lungs with the NSX-prototypes trying to make even more noise (they didn't). This was motorsport city!
On this day i met Kevin from the UK together with his girlfriend, and a other woman who came drivingdown from the UK also in her 'Acura'. I can't recall her name (sorry), but she ws very interested in the car, and her black NSX was in top condition.
Later that day, Detlef from Germany joined our group. Very nice guy. And also the family of Gerard arrived at the circuit. We sort of hang around the rest of the day, watching the progress of the problems which the race NSX of Mark had.

In the evening we where accompanied by Maarten (MvM) at the hotel. We took diner at the hotel and chatted the evening away about an unknown subject
wink.gif

Saturday morning.
Early out the bed, for the briefing at the track.
After having the briefing rescheduled about 5 times, we went out on the track for some free training and practice for the throphy.

All i can say....that track is incredible.
Now i understand why it's the most favorite track by a lot of formula one drivers.

We had a great time, with nice weather all day long (uncommen for Spa). In the free practice Gerard spun his NSX of the track, causing some damage to his rear bumper, but that needed a paintjob anyway. Next was the race. After a great start, Gerard finished first in the race, where Mark had to let go because of technical difficulty's with his NSX.
Peter (Imola orang targa), joined us at the end of the day, together with his wife and son, and i also met Enzo, no not Enzo, but No100 again (always having a chat with him).
In the evening we had diner with the European NSX club.

Sunday.
Again after a early
mad.gif
breakfeast we went to the track for a hectic day.
Guus, Micha and Mark tried to get Marks NSX back on the trailer, while Gerard went out for some practice on the track. Then it started.... Gerard came back, noticing that his engine was gulping out a lot of oil through the eninge breather tubes, which caused him later that day to quit the 1 hour throphy race. His oilpressure went to about 2, which never happens with his NSX. So he left his NSX for the rest of the day. At leaving in the afternoon his NSX starting to make a litlle cluncking noise, the sort of sound a gone connectionrod-to-crankshaft (big-end) bearing makes. He had to leave his NSX in Belgium, to be taken home by some road-assistance.

For me, the day was pretty hectic. A lot of people from Holland, Belgium and Germany came to Spa. Every ten minutes or so, i found myself speaking to people i once met, or spoke to some time ago, and came to the track. Duke from Antwerp showed up, together with his misses, and showed his HID. Pretty clean install, and most definetly one of the next mods. DAMN, those look good!
Inbetween all the talking i had to wash my car, and also prep the thing for going on the track later that day.
At about half past two Peter, Maarten and me went out on the track.....sure....then it happend....warmed my tires (S-O3), get my Ferrodo 2500's all nice and warm, and then hit the brakes at a speed of about 120~130 Kmph, just before the hairpin at 'La Source' (this is the famous 1st gear hairpin)........BANG!!!!!!!!!.....WTF???????? NO BRAKES!!!!!!!!!.........Slowly my brakes came back, but not as they should. I thought about a blown tire, so i already saw my fresh Advans 7 completely damaged. Parked my car on the run-out strip, and walked around. Nothing. No blown tire. Nothing. Slowly limbed into the pits with loads of noise comming from the front. Took my front wheel off.....guess what.... the (stock) brake rotor has broken off from the center. Incredible. This could have happend on the motorway.
We took the disc off, and put a piece of wood inbetween the brakepads, and this is how i drove home.

Too bad, i really wanted to do some laps with Peter and Maarten.

Besides all the problems and damage we had at Spa, it still was a great weekend with the dutch NSX crowd.

It was great to meet Detlef from Germany(nice bloke), Kevin and his misses from the UK, Duke from Antwerp and his misses (i hope i can talk to you a bit more next time), Enzo, Otto (mail me, i'll take you on a tour soon), Renzo (Dutch NSX club website and founder), Guy (sorry for taking the piss out of your BMW every time, youre alright), and a lot of other people i've missed out.

Next year, i'll hope Guus will be in better physical condition, so we can go together for a few laps.
It would also be nice to have some sort of team ready for Mark and his NSX, so there will be less trouble, and more preperation time.

Pictures (not many):
http://short-circuit.xs4all.nl/SPA2002/index.htm

Notice the NSX wannabees (Porsche), crashed Porsche (one of the many), my brakerotor, Ayrton Senna.

Mich

[This message has been edited by DutchBlackNsx (edited 29 September 2002).]

DutchBlackNSX,
Glad to hear you made it back home alright and without any more problems.

Gerard (with broken down engine), Peter and I waited for the road-service for about two hours (getting dark by then). Then we saw a trailer coming and stopped the guy. However, he wasn't from the road-service but agreed to park and wait a little because we probably would need his services. Then, a few minutes later, the road-service showed up. Within a few minutes it was clear Gerard could not drive any further and the NSX was pulled onto the trailer. After thanking the drivers for their help we all took off bound for home. On the way home we were doing some nice driving and a group of motorcycles hooked up with us for about 40km which was fun. Peter brought Gerard all the way home and at Rotterdam our roads split.
Gerard, I hope you will have your NSX back home quickly and up and running again soon.

For me, the weekend was great again. Nice hotel, nice surroundings and very very nice racetrack. Was good to see everyone again and talk about our favourite car.
It wasn't until Sunday that I decided to go on the track for the free practice (not really free though) and had great fun there. A group of members from the Dutch Honda-club had showed up and I gave some a ride on the track in the NSX. I'm not a good driver and I didn't really go that fast but still I hope everyone had a good time. The track is great but I really have to follow some training to get more out of my NSX. So far, at least, I'm learning little by little.

Guus, it was nice to see you looking so good. We really have to meet sometime soon.
Mark (from Dali), it was great to see you again. Too bad you had gear-problems with your race-NSX. But at least the sound wasn't any less.
Mischa, thanks for you enthousiasm. This is a guy that cannot stand the sight of a beautiful car looking dirty. Next time I'll park mine dirty next to yours ;-)
Guy, it was nice to meet you. You're great in telling stories.
Saturday Raymond-Honda brought my third brake-light (for a good price) and since I wasn't doing much I immediately put it on the car. Car looks much better now. Thank you again for taking the time and trouble to bring it over for me. It was nice getting to know you.
Same goes for Detlef. Read your posts on prime before but now finally met you. I learned a lot from you.
Duke, thanks for showing me your HID's. They really look much better than the standard lights, even in daylight.
Kevin and girlfriend. Great you guys showed up all the way from the UK. Hope you all arrived home save again. I have to talk to you again about your TEIN suspension.
Margaret, your NSX looks great. Hope you found your way back to the ferry in time. Hope to see you again another time.
Renso, nice to meet you in person. Now you just have to make your girlfriend just a little more NSX-minded.
To everyone else I forgot to mention, it was nice to meet you and talk to you. It's just good to see a lot of NSX'es together at a nice sunny day and learn about the car and their owners more.
Hope to see you all soon again..

Hello All,
It was a pleasure to meet some European NSX owners (and BMW )at the Honda Trophy at Spa.I am a member the NSX Club of Britain.The most NSX members we have got together is 10 out of 76 members,so it was great to see so many NSX together,especially the 2 other Acura badged NSX,Black ,Red
I was the woman from GB with the Black/Ivory Acura NSX.
Thankyou all for the information and help,to Mark of Dali Racing who not only supplied parts for me,but also kindly fitted them.Many thanks to Mischa for the loan of the cleaning kit,not only was my NSX beautiful again (like it always is !) but it made it go faster so I got to the Euro Tunnel in time to buy 'duty free'before going back to GB !
Guus I wish you a speedy recovery (I did not meet any other Magyars)
The racing was filled with action and drama on and off the track.Marks Dali Racing NSX retiring after the 10 lap Honda Trophy race,never mind you will get it right next time ! What a track to drive on,I will have to have another go!
I am very sorry but I am not good at remembering all your names but everyone was friendly and helpful,it made my first visit to Belgium and Spa very memorable.

Best Regards
Magdalena
GB Acura NSX black/Ivory www.nsxcb.co.uk
(next time I will book a hotel which is nearer)

[This message has been edited by magnsx (edited 30 September 2002).]

Hi Mag!

Nice to see you here!
My cleaningkit is used to a black NSX.
wink.gif

Please note that you can edit/delete your message with the edit/delete option, just as you used the 'reply with qoute'

Hope to see you soon on another track, you can always look at the calender at www.nsx.ch for the european events.
Speak to Kevin, coz he might go again to another track.

Though it's a bit of a drive for you guys, i can highly recommend Mas-du-Clos 2003. It will be a year, but it's a wonderfull experience.

Mich

Hello everyone,

Well, what can I say apart from the weekend was the best ever thing that I have done with my NSX!! I was unsure as to the trip, and meeting everyone, but my fears were unfounded. The drive down to Spa was excellent, as was meeting all you friendly people. Sophia (yes she has a name!!!) enjoyed it too.

What else can I say that hasn't been said before? Good track, though it was a shame I didn't pick Saturday to drive on it. I drove it on Friday, which meant being on track with the Porsches, and it was a little damp, which makes me nervous.

We will do more in mainland Europe for sure in future.

Next year I hope we can organise better with the other UK people, then more of us can come.

The trip home was uneventful. Mich, I can't believe what happened to your brake disc. My discs are vibrating now after my last track day, I shall change them now, just in case.

Best regards to everyone,

Kevin
www.nsxcb.co.uk
(my pictures are posted there)

[This message has been edited by j14nsx (edited 01 October 2002).]

[This message has been edited by j14nsx (edited 01 October 2002).]

magnsx

Welcom to the forum. It was great to meet you. You're the first female NSX-owner I've met. I must say it was nice to talk to you and hear how much effort you've done to trace the origins of your car.
Could you post the URL to your NSX-website here so I can visit it.
Anyway, hope to see you sometime again.

Originally posted by MvM:
magnsx
Could you post the URL to your NSX-website here so I can visit it.
Anyway, hope to see you sometime again.

the UK site link is:
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/

We posted some of the pix we took at SPA here:
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/info/SPA/2002/index.cfm

and I had a great time meeting everyone
biggrin.gif
the email address: [email protected] is messed up at the moment so be patient if you sent me a note - I'm hoping to have it sorted by Sunday night.

------------------
need more info? please private me @

[email protected]

Mark Johnson, CEO of Custodial Services @ Dali Racing, a Not For Profit Company.

Back