• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spacers too much? Dangerous

I bought the set of wheels for me Black NSX, and I had to put on two 3mm spacers (thats a total of 6 mm :D ) to make them fit. The outfit that put them on said that almost half the bolt is taken up because of this. Has anyone else went through this, is there a kit or something that I can buy to remedy this situation?

I've heard a "rule of thumb" that you should have at least six full turns on the lug nuts for them to be secure. That's one thing you can check to see if you're okay right now. If you're not, I wouldn't risk driving on it. Not even around the block.

I assume you are using the "flat plate" kind of spacer, that looks like this:

rrw-spacer.gif

Another solution is to get the kind of spacers that includes studs on it, like these 25 mm spacers from Science of Speed, shown on the right:

07[1].gif

Finally, as Mark notes, longer studs can also address this problem. Science of Speed and Dali Racing sell their 5 mm and 15 mm spacers as a kit that includes the longer studs. Dali also sells the longer studs separately, and SoS might, too; they're shown on Dali's website, but not on SoS's. When buying longer studs, just make sure that you either (a) get studs that are the proper length; if they're too long, the lug nuts won't hold the wheels on securely, or (b) replace your closed lug nuts with open end lug nuts to avoid this problem. (Open end lug nuts means that the threaded hole goes all the way through the lug nut, rather than having one end closed off.) If the latter, you will still have to make sure that the stud is not too long for the deepest socket you have.

nsxexotic said:
My assumption was that spacers and big wheels wear out the suspension quicker. More stress and sometimes weight on ball joints, ect.

I'm pretty sure that spacers alone won't stress your suspension as much as race slicks would do with their grip level. I use spacers (22 mm each wheel) and race slicks and the suspension parts survived it very well for about 6 years and many thousand track miles - although I have to admit that I changed the front wheel bearings and will now have to change 2 arms at the front suspension (don't ask me for details, my techie knows them). All in all: Other cars may suffer a lot more than ours.

Back