• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

speeding ticket in NY state (Albany)

Hi everyone,

I received a speeding ticket in Albany on the NY Thruway. Even worse was that it was speeding in a work zone (78 in a 55). I realize my stupidity and accept full responsibility for it. I saw signs warning that speeding is strictly enforced in work zones and I chose to ignore them.

My question is, the speeding ticket doesn't have a fine listed. I did a search on the web and it looks like you send in your plea and the magistrate determines it.

Any idea on what I'm looking at here? I have a NJ license so it will come in as 2 points regardless. Should I plead non-guilty and make the two hour drive up in hopes that the judge will show more leniency on the fine/penalty? I know I was guilty, but I'm just hoping that they are lenient on me since I haven't had a speeding ticket in about 10 years.

Thank you,

Brian

20+ over and in a work zone, i'd say you are looking at at least $500. I doubt you'll get any leniency so might be worth wasting 4 hours of your time going up there.

Not sure about the the particular area of Albany you were in, but I got a ticket going 22mph over the limit near Ellicotteville, NY (I'm Canadian) and some people said to call in and ask for a settlement meeting and request a non-moving violation. The reason is that the money then goes to the town instead of the State. So I did that, got a court date and did my talk and the prosecutor asked if I was aware of the $400+ fine and 4 points and I agreed, she then asked if I would plead guilty to a parking ticket...............huh?? Sure, not problem and I plead guilty and paid the $150 fine (85 court costs) and was on my way. Worth the hour plus drive as tickets are reciprical between Ontario and NY.

So, my suggestion is to do the same there as it may be something that is workable in that area as well.

Good luck! Oh, if I ever did that here I am sure they'd throw me in jail thinking it was bribery, and I'm still laughing at my situation and getting a parking ticket instead.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

My friend who was with me keeps telling me that we should just make a roadtrip out of it since he knows this supposedly amazing BBQ place up there. The court is at 9am, so not sure if he plans to eat BBQ for breakfast. In any case, I appreciate the advice. I'm still kicking myself about how stupid I was, not because I got caught, but because I was speeding so excessively.

I hate New York. Every ticket I have ever gotten has been in NY and I don't live there and don't visit often. Similar thing happened to me. 72 in a 55 marked down to 45 because somewhere along the 200 miles of RT17 (on the way to Kids Day a few years back) there must have been someone working somewhere (and like 5am on a Tuesday). I saw the cop, moved to the left lane, didn't even bother checking speed because I thought it was a 65 like most of CT (that was my bad although I generally do about 70 no matter where I am on a highway). I met a lawyer at kids day from prime and I hired him. He estimated: $800 for the ticket, but double for work zone, plus NY has some kind of $300 'aXXhole' tax for a certain number of points which I would have hit in that one shot, regardless of a clean driving record prior to that moment. I was looking at nearly 2g's for trying to do a good thing. Fortunately after $600 in lawyers fees, I only got a $100 moving violation. I'm pissed again now...

Anyway, good luck. You are a better man than me as I was pissed. CT has a different culture. We don't slow down to the letter of the law for work zones like NY does. Not saying that's bad but it's just how it is for whatever reason (we slow down to like 60 assuming someone is working). BTW: Guy nearly jacked me up like and ex-con. He was visibly shaken and his gun strap was unclipped. I was like 'settle down Beavis...'

- - - Updated - - -

I won't be able to sleep now (that and I need one more post to get to 600… Good luck. I hope it works out well of you.

Not sure about the the particular area of Albany you were in, but I got a ticket going 22mph over the limit near Ellicotteville, NY (I'm Canadian) and some people said to call in and ask for a settlement meeting and request a non-moving violation. The reason is that the money then goes to the town instead of the State. So I did that, got a court date and did my talk and the prosecutor asked if I was aware of the $400+ fine and 4 points and I agreed, she then asked if I would plead guilty to a parking ticket...............huh?? Sure, not problem and I plead guilty and paid the $150 fine (85 court costs) and was on my way. Worth the hour plus drive as tickets are reciprical between Ontario and NY.

So, my suggestion is to do the same there as it may be something that is workable in that area as well.

Good luck! Oh, if I ever did that here I am sure they'd throw me in jail thinking it was bribery, and I'm still laughing at my situation and getting a parking ticket instead.

I had a similar experience outside of Buffalo. A long trip for me to plead in person, so I wrote a nice letter to the court and they proposed a favorable settlement by mail.

If u call me at my office at 315-4764482 on monday or tuesday I can give You some free advice. I do traffic tickets all over NY state including the albany area. Each ct has different policies. Gary Sommer

Hey - can I keep your number since I'm in NY often and unlike others, I alwys speed and may need your services one day in the event I get caught.........:biggrin:

I got a ticket in Albany last year and got a local lawyer to get rid of it. PM me for his contact info.

Gary is very well known in the NSX upstate NY region for being the "go to guy" when in trouble with tickets. Whether your stupid enough to go DUI, or speed (that I'll admit too, not the former), he's gotten some great results. Give him a call, he might be able to help.

.just don't stare at him if when you meet in his office he has no shirt on........................:tongue:

im glad i live in FL I can get a ticket in every state and when i get home to FL no points... also I dont ahve to pay them either.... but if I ever go back to that state and get pulled over again I could have to call a bil bondsman LOL

When it comes to speed limits, I'm a complete anarchist! Why should some bureaucrat be able to substitute his judgement for mine? Why should a tractor trailer have the same speed limit as a sport bike or an NSX?

Too many states and towns use traffic tickets to raise revenue and create jobs for people like Gary Sommer who speeds around Watkins Glen all the time and never gets a ticket... lol

oh my ironic........now you need to locate your SC doppelganger:tongue:

Back