• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Springfield XD

http://www.xdpistols.com/item/58064...d_Guns_Pistols_Springfield_XD_Pistol___X.aspx Whos got one and can you rate this gun from personal experience. I currently have a Para sub compact but would like a second. I know there are several gun enthusiasts on board and respect your knowledgeable advice. I have'nt decided on 9mm or 40cal. I can get plenty of both in hi-shock police ammo. I held one in my hand over the weekend and really like how it fits. Thanks in advance.:smile:

I carry a XD9 and love it. Great to shoot. Great to carry.

My co-worker bought it and we went to the range to shoot a few hundred rounds through it. It's very Glock-like in that there are a lot of similarities between the two guns. However, take all of this with a grain of salt (as I have a heavy Glock bias), it felt to me like a cheaper Glock knock off. The action didn't feel as smooth. The back of the grip safety felt overly redundant. It did not feel as comfortable nor accurate as my Glock. Having said all that, it still is a very good gun. It is lightweight, compact and disassembles as easily as a Glock. If I didn't already have an intimate familiarity with a Glock, I would have said this is a nice conceal/carry gun. However, before plunking your hard earned cash on this pistol, try shooting it side by side with an equivalent Glock first to help make up your mind.

I tried the XD9 extensively before i bought my Glock 19. My advice is to try it before you buy it. The Springfield is a very nice gun and a good value but i just didn't like the web safety on it. I wanted to avoid Glocks because of the scumbag stigma but they have become the staple of my arsenal. They simply will fire ANY ammo every time without problem and are dead accurate high quality pistols.

As far as the 9mm vs .40 cal goes. I would stick with the 9mm for several reasons but the simplest for most people to understand is if a time ever comes when America comes under attack and you need your gun to actually defend yourself then you'll find that the specialty ammo will dry up fast and then your gun is useless. 9mm and .45 cal will never run out because of Military and Police surplus. :wink:

I do plan on trying to shoot one. I especially like the extra rear safety feature as on the 1911 models. Don't know if thats new or if Glocks have this feature, but like it. My Para hog9 can be finiky about the ammo thats ran through it which bothers me since it's a $900 gun:mad: I truely appreciate the advice guys.

Hey David

A buddy of mine is selling his XD9 (only shot about 15 rounds). If you're interested in that one vs. the 40 I can check to see if he still has it. It would definitely save you some money. I was going to buy it but ended up going for a glock instead.

Let me know

I was looking at buying the .45ACP, 4 inch model. They are great guns for a good price.

DisplayPic.aspx

Last edited:
I love my XD-357sig with a 4" barrel. I have shot many 9mm and 40's and tried the 357sig round and loved it. It looks like you are going for a 3" model which does not come in 357sig as a sub-compact as far as I know. Can't go wrong with a 1911 but size is the problem again. Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you go with.

Yes I've tossed the 357 round in my head. Most cops I know really like the 357 cal. It's just not as common as 9mm and 40. I get this ammo at no cost so it's 9mm or 40.

Never heard this before. Is this due to large local/federal govt use?

Nothing to do with Government use but rather the opposite. The Glock is apparently the AK-47 of pistols and i guess criminals are drawn to them because of the frequent reference to them in rap music and also frequent use in films depicting gang violence. It probably also doesn't hurt that they can be dropped, tossed, left out doors for an extended period of time and never cleaned and still fire without issue. Kind of a no maintenance idiot proof gun i guess which probably doesn't help attract the most responsible people.

All of that said. Glock pistols are just rock solid and i currently own two and use the Glock 26 as my carry piece and don't care what people think of it. I have fired some of the most expensive pistols on the market and none of them gives me as tight a grouping as my Glock does.

I got my CCL with my Glock 19 and was looking for something smaller to carry and was split between the XD and G26 when my instructor gave me a simple piece of advice that made my decision easy and that was; In a pressure situation where you have to draw your weapon under extreme duress you sometimes don't have the most natural grip on the weapon and that could prevent the XD from firing were as the Glocks trigger safety is really no safety at all. I tested this (on a closed course) with quick drawing and he was right, a couple of times the XD didn't fire with an unnatural grip. It also didn't fully eject the round a couple of times when doing this as well. Will i ever be in a situation like that? Hopefully not but i also don't expect a criminal to just stand there while i make a clean draw, aim and fire at them so getting any round off is better than nothing at all imho.

Yes I've tossed the 357 round in my head. Most cops I know really like the 357 cal. It's just not as common as 9mm and 40. I get this ammo at no cost so it's 9mm or 40.

My understanding is that the 357 sig round was developed specifically for the FBI to penetrate barriers like car doors. This also translates into over penetration in human tissue making it less effective for self defense than many other rounds. The problem is that most people buy what they think is cool and if the FBI uses it then if must be for me too right?:tongue:

There are a ton of sites that have loads of terminal ballistic information and i think you would be surprised at the data. Most people think a .45 is more effective than a 9mm as well but science doesn't lie and i know that having more bullets in a clip is ALWAYS a better thing when it comes to a gun fight.:wink:

I admit I like the 45's knock down power, but when firing a gun with a 3" barrel, less recoil means better chance of striking your target in a desperate situation. I have shot a couple of 3" barreled 45's and I prefer the recoil of my Para Ordinance hawg9 {9mm} even with +P's. I love my Para but with 13 rounds it's is heavy little sucker to pack everywhere. Thats why I'm looking into a composite frame.

Hey David

A buddy of mine is selling his XD9 (only shot about 15 rounds). If you're interested in that one vs. the 40 I can check to see if he still has it. It would definitely save you some money. I was going to buy it but ended up going for a glock instead.

Let me know

Matt, would you mind asking him what he wants for the gun? I'm local (sort of) so it would probably be an easy transaction.

Thanks!

Look at the NEW XD-M
16rd in 1 40 mag and 19rd in 1 9mm mag :confused::wink::eek:

Never reload again :tongue:

I just grabbed an RIA 1911 dirt cheap. It's big, but it's a pretty nice weapon overall and has the advantage of firing the same round as my cx4.

I just got a Glock model # 36.

It is a .45 ACP - 6 round mag . It is one of the smallest Glocks available , just a little bit bigger than my Walther PPK in .380 but the Glock is in .45 ACP.

" Why do I carry a .45 ? Because I can't find a .46 ....lol "

Not trying to hi-jack this thread , but check out this new ammo -
http://www.drtammo.com/player.aspx?vidfile=stream.dvd.flv

I have been carrying my XD40SC for 2 years and have taken four advanced tactical courses with it. I have over 7500 rounds through it and it has been dead reliable. I have dropped it, dived into a lake and the Gulf of Mexico with it on along with countless other activities. I have drawn it once to stop a forcible felony being committed on my brother (who was anti-gun BTW). It has never let me down. My family trusts their lives to me and I trust our lives to my XDs. I have 4 XDs.

I am in the process of testing a new XD 45 Compact. Once I have a couple of thousand rounds through it and have dragged it through a couple of tactical courses, it will replace my XD40SC. I chose the XD because I used to carry a CCO-sized 1911 and the XD felt more natural to me.

I also have an XD-m. Although it is too large to CC for my frame, it is a great gun. If they make a non-competition oriented version of this with straight sights and in compact form, I'll definately field test it for carry.

I think the Glocks are good guns for many people and many people choose them for various reasons. I personally don't like Glocks for my reasons as I have seen enough Glock failures and anomolies during hard tactical abuse. Also contrary to some people's experience, I think Glocks feel cheap compared to the XD. As a range or nightstand gun it might be fine but for what I do with them, Glocks are not for me. I might get flamed for these comments but that is my experience. Other people may have different experiences.

As for comments about grip safety on 1911s and XDs, I'll echo what one of my instructor said, "If your grip doesn't depress the grip safety enough to fire the gun then you don't have control of your weapon and you'd be negligent to pull the trigger at that time." I have tested this theory and I would have to be holding the gun so improperly that I couldn't pull off a double tap without posibbly dropping the gun. I have never had a failure due to improper grip of the gun from a draw. Again that is my experience.

As for ammo, choose the gun that you are most comfortable shooting defensive ammo with. There has been more ballistic development on the 9mm than almost any other round. The new 9mm stuff is quite good. If cost of ammo is an issue, 9mm practice ammo is very cheap compared to .357Sig.40S&W or .45ACP or GAP. Based on shooting comfort and accuracy of DEFENSIVE ammo, I prefer .45, .40, 9mm in that order.

Good luck.

Hey David,

Why don't you, Matt, and myself head to the shooting range by my house? I have both the Springfield XD9, as well as the Glock. I like both, but strongly prefer the XD9, hands down.

:smile:

Hey David,

Why don't you, Matt, and myself head to the shooting range by my house? I have both the Springfield XD9, as well as the Glock. I like both, but strongly prefer the XD9, hands down.

:smile:
I would love to. Set it up.:biggrin:

I have fired a couple of XDs (both 9mm). They are very accurate in my experience, and I like the gun from what limited experience I've had with them.

I have also fired a couple of Glocks. They are consistant and reliable, but they feel clunky and toy-like in my hands compared to what I like (I'm a 1911 kinda guy).

For what it's worth, I'm sold on the XD and will buy one as my second pistol (after the 1911).

Back