• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Steering wheel center feel

Another newbie question folks.. When making a turn, the steering wheel on my 01 NSX does not snap back the whole way to center on its own. I have to turn it back to center, or the car would continue in the direction of the turn. But, the amount tht it does snap back to center is different for a left and right turn. When turning left, it return almost to center on its own.. I'd say within 2 degrees. When making a right turn, It stops at about 10 degrees off-center and I must bring it back myself. Is this normal? It is far different from my Porsche 928. The would return all the way to center, and the wheel would follow the crown of the road requiring pressure on the wheel to keep the car straight. It even followed ruts in the road. My NSX has a more dead feeling on-center, but if you hold the wheel stright, the car goes straight and is not affected as much by road conditions.

What do you think? Normal for the NSX, or should I be at the dealer before my tires are ruined?

Thanks
MikeC

------------------
keep the shiny side up

Its a new car. It has 700 miles on it. It was this way from new

------------------
keep the shiny side up

I just bought a brand new 2002 dodge truck. It is also out of alignment right from the factory. I talked with the service tech and he made me aware that when the vehicles are assembled the tolerances are huge. He told me that as long as they stay on the rack on the line that is enough of an alignment for it to leave the factory. However I would hope this is not the case with Honda.

Afterthought: Does't Honda test drive each of the NSX's they build?

[This message has been edited by steveny (edited 06 February 2002).]

Many NSX alignments are WAY wrong off the showroom floor. It has been suggested that this may be caused by the tie straps being ratcheted down tightly in transport. No idea if that is accurate, but the fact is many are very out of spec brand new. Honda knows about the problem and IMO they should add an alignment check to the NSX PDI checklist, but what do I know?

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 07 February 2002).]

Originally posted by mikec:
What year is yours? and how is your tire wear?

My car is a 1991... Originally tire wear was bad due to camber, after the second alingment the camber issue was fixed and the tire wear as far as I can see is in line and reasonable... BUT I have not been able to resolve this issue. The car handles wonderfully exept fo this issue, I now belive is has something to do with the steering wheel alingment due to the fact that the car drives strait yet the wheel is off center.

Corey

[This message has been edited by 4g62bt2c30a (edited 07 February 2002).]

Hrm. Usually the steering wheel being off center is because of the way the tie-rods are adjusted. Namely that one is a little longer than the other. If same alignment were achieved, but with the tie-rods adjusted to the same length, then the steering wheel should be on-center.

As for differences in the way the car pulls back toward center, I'd guess that has more to do with camber and caster. The car's tendency to follow ruts and such I'd think would have more to do with toe. The first time I got my car aligned, I tried zero front toe. The next time, I tried .1" total toe-out front. The difference was large, in terms of turn-in response and the way it followed road countours.

Also... You made no mention of whether you've checked to make sure your tire pressures are correct. That would definitely be the first thing to check.

-Mike

[This message has been edited by grippgoat (edited 07 February 2002).]

Pressure is OK. I'm getting it aligned tomorrow at my local acura dealer. I'll let you know how I make out.

Originally posted by 4g62bt2c30a:
My car is a 1991... Originally tire wear was bad due to camber, after the second alingment the camber issue was fixed and the tire wear as far as I can see is in line and reasonable... BUT I have not been able to resolve this issue. The car handles wonderfully exept fo this issue, I now belive is has something to do with the steering wheel alingment due to the fact that the car drives strait yet the wheel is off center.

Corey

I have the exact same problem with my car. Now you have me worried about getting an alingment . The car handles perfect and the tire wear is not bad at all. The car drives straight, but the wheel is off center and it bugs me. What to do???

[This message has been edited by 4g62bt2c30a (edited 07 February 2002).]

Well.. got the car back. The technician said it was outside factory spec and there was no charge for the alignment. The self centering may be a bit better, but not much. One thought they had was that stiff bushings may loosen up in time and would improve.. Its not bad at all the way it is; just different from what I was used to.

------------------
keep the shiny side up

Originally posted by mikec:
...One thought they had was that stiff bushings may loosen up in time and would improve.. Its not bad at all the way it is; just different from what I was used to.

Mike,

Glad it seems a little better. I agree, this car really smooths out with a little break in. Give it another 2000 mile (about the first oil change).

It is a little troubling that the cars are not properly aligned from the factory. You said you had 10 miles on it when you got it. That's a little low (according to what I've read). Mine had 26, which I though was about normal considering the track run(s) made at the factory.

------------------
'00 Candy Apple Blue / Black, #264

My '00 does exactly the same thing. I wasn't aware of it until I read this post but when I turn left, the wheel goes almost back to center but when I turn right the steering wheel stops about 20 degrees from center. At center the car doesn't swerve to the left or right but stays straight. Do I have an alignment problem also or is this normal for a NSX? I don't notice any premature tire wear either.

------------------
'00 NSX-T, silverstone/blk, #252

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Does't Honda test drive each of the NSX's they build?

Yes, on the track at Tochigi.

From Acura's website:

"before an NSX leaves the factory, it is brought to the high-banked test track at Tochigi, where it is driven at high speed by a trained technician to ensure that it is worthy of your trust."

It's a terrible job, but somebody's got to do it.
biggrin.gif

Back