• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steering / tire "clunk? "

Hello there,

Need a little assist that I can't figure out. Steering is at dead straight center. Car is started. Car is parked. If I move the steering slight left and then slight right, there is a "clunk." I can physically feel it in the steering wheel.

I had a friend sit in car and I went to the wheel, I can hear the clunk at the wheel, and I can feel the clunk on the tire if my hand is there.

All this while car is stationary.

I am a new owner, and help is appreciated.

Car is a NA2 Targa

My money’s on the steering rack. Not sure if you have a manual or power steering rack in a later targa, but on the manual racks, the clunk is a worn bushing on the passenger side of the rack. NSX rack repair can fix either type of rack and make it better than new.

There also is a “knock bushing” you can install on your rack with minimal effort, but it’s a temp fix.

'98 is definitely EPS and I don't think it suffers exactly the same end wear problem as the manual rack or have the same repair. On the manual rack the noise would appear on the passenger side because the passenger end of the rack develops wear because there is actually no dedicated bushing there. The repair involves installing a bronze anti wear bushing. Details here

If you can hear the clunk right 'at the wheel', I am more inclined to think a tie rod end joint. You should hope that also because that will be a cheaper / easier repair than just about anything else. Jack the front end of the car up and remove the wheels. Place one hand on the steering knuckle where the tie rod attaches and the other on the very end of the tie rod. Have somebody gently rock the steering wheel back and forth. If there is wear in the tie rod end joint you will be able to feel the slop as a small movement between your hands. Obviously check both wheels. If only one tie rod end is worn replace both because at 26 years of age, the second one is probably not far behind.

If it is not the tie rods, then put the wheels back on and grab the tires at 12:00 and 6:00 o'clock and try rocking the tire to generate the noise. Repeat at 03:00 and 09:00 o'clock. This rocking may show noise if its ball joints or A arm pivot points.

If it is not the tie rod ends or suspension pivots / ball joints then the problem may be associated with the rack. The rack is mounted in rubber bushings (8, 12 and 13 in this diagram)

As they age and harden they may be allowing movement of the whole rack and be making some noise. But, I expect that noise would materialize more as body noise rather than a noise at the wheel. Based upon your description I don't think this is the issue; but, rule it out because the final option is more time consuming and expensive. If it is a rack internal issue, your best bet is removal and shipping to NSX Rack Repair

https://www.nsxrackrepair.com/

'98 is definitely EPS and I don't think it suffers exactly the same end wear problem as the manual rack or have the same repair. On the manual rack the noise would appear on the passenger side because the passenger end of the rack develops wear because there is actually no dedicated bushing there. The repair involves installing a bronze anti wear bushing. Details here

If you can hear the clunk right 'at the wheel', I am more inclined to think a tie rod end joint. You should hope that also because that will be a cheaper / easier repair than just about anything else. Jack the front end of the car up and remove the wheels. Place one hand on the steering knuckle where the tie rod attaches and the other on the very end of the tie rod. Have somebody gently rock the steering wheel back and forth. If there is wear in the tie rod end joint you will be able to feel the slop as a small movement between your hands. Obviously check both wheels. If only one tie rod end is worn replace both because at 26 years of age, the second one is probably not far behind.

If it is not the tie rods, then put the wheels back on and grab the tires at 12:00 and 6:00 o'clock and try rocking the tire to generate the noise. Repeat at 03:00 and 09:00 o'clock. This rocking may show noise if its ball joints or A arm pivot points.

If it is not the tie rod ends or suspension pivots / ball joints then the problem may be associated with the rack. The rack is mounted in rubber bushings (8, 12 and 13 in this diagram)

As they age and harden they may be allowing movement of the whole rack and be making some noise. But, I expect that noise would materialize more as body noise rather than a noise at the wheel. Based upon your description I don't think this is the issue; but, rule it out because the final option is more time consuming and expensive. If it is a rack internal issue, your best bet is removal and shipping to NSX Rack Repair

https://www.nsxrackrepair.com/
thank you so much

that allows me direction to check

Mine happened on driver side. I will have to check passenger side

I have a video to show not sure how to add … will try

Attachments

• IMG_4571.mov
    15.5 MB
I showed video to Rackrepair and he said 100% its the rack

Now I will see if HQ engineering can take off and on and what they willl charge

Bummer as I got the car back after being down foe almost 6 weeks

nsxrackrepair.com definitely. i had them repair/replace my eps unit with a unit that had 30k miles on it and was 5 years newer. now i know what it feels like to drive a new nsx. it's super tight and precise. can't say enough great things about them.
never been happer with driving it.

nsxrackrepair.com definitely. i had them repair/replace my eps unit with a unit that had 30k miles on it and was 5 years newer. now i know what it feels like to drive a new nsx. it's super tight and precise. can't say enough great things about them.
never been happer with driving it.
thnak you

made an appt on 4/18 to diagnose it first

Back