• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stefan Johansson and David Brabham Interview

IN THEIR OWN WORDS: STEFAN JOHANSSON AND DAVID BRABHAM

Highcroft Racing is not new to the American Le Mans Series but the team did complete its first full season...and what a season it was. The team was one of three to field new Acura-powered prototypes and the Danbury, CT-based team came out strong in the LMP2 category.

David Brabham and Stefan Johansson piloted the Acura ARX01a to four podium finishes resulting in Highcroft's third-place finish in the LMP2 team championship. The dynamic duo gave us their thoughts on the past season and what Highcroft Racing fans can expect in the 2008 season.

What were some of the highlights of the 2007 season?

Stefan Johansson: Though it's difficult to pin down one moment, certainly getting the pole in Houston was a huge boost for the team. But at other times, it seemed like we were always knocking on the door for a great result but didn't quite get it.

David Brabham: For me, the team getting pole position in only our fourth race was huge. The team had worked so hard just to get to the first race, and to have a pole against such tough opposition was amazing.

What aspects of the team do you feel particularly proud of?

SJ: The whole team came together in a remarkable way from where we started at the first race in Sebring in March. There was a great sense of team spirit and camaraderie throughout the season and it really felt like every member of the team was pulling in the same direction.

DB: I would agree that the way the team came together over the year was impressive. You could sense with every race the team was gelling more and more.

Anything that took you by surprise this year?

SJ: If anything, I didn't expect us to be quite as competitive as we were so early on.

DB: We started the first race on the front row in P2 and this was a surprise. We were also competitive against the other Acura teams and managed to finish the season as the top Acura team, which no one would have predicted.

How was driving in the debut year of Acura's effort different from other season in your career?

SJ: This was one of the most enjoyable years I have had in my career; the organizations from Honda Performance Development to Wirth Engineering and Highcroft Racing were very impressive. There is nothing better for a driver than to be surrounded with top quality people. The progress we made and the dynamics among the engineering groups was just terrific. Considering this was only our first year, I can only believe it will even better as we go forward.

DB: I have been fortunate to race for a few top teams in my career, Bentley, Aston Martin and Jaguar, but I would have to say that working with Acura, HPD, Wirth and Highcroft has been one of, if not the best, experience of my life.

Highcroft came in 3rd in the LMP2 team championships, right behind Penske and Dyson. Any thoughts on what it will take for the Acuras to beat the Porsches?

SJ: Small improvements in every area from the car to the organization to pit strategy to drivers. Every one of us will have to chip away at the details to make sure we have the best overall package.

DB: Third place was a great effort and we all felt a win was not that far away. I am confident the commitment we have and the desire to perfect the package will put us in a winning situation for the future.

Back