• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

stereo seems to work but no sound

Was driving along the other day and the sound just cut off. Stereo works properly but no sound.

My car has the stock bose head unit, sub, and center speaker but has the door replaced with aftermarket speakers and an aftermarket amp running them. Do you think this could be caused by a grounded speaker wire? Or do you think the head unit is bad?

Thanks

------------------
92 Red/Blk

Also about a month ago the lights for the buttons have gone out. The one pushed still lights but the rest are now dark.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

I presume you get no sound from the radio, CD player, & cassette. If you havn't tried all 3, give that a shot first. If all 3 provide no sound, then you also want to check for any sound at all. With the engine off and the volume at max. Put your ear up against the speaker. Turn the stereo off & on and listen carefully for any pops or clicks. With the stereo on and volume max, can you hear music or noise no matter how faint? Turn the volume knob. Do you get any crackling sounds? This can aid in diagnosing the cause of your problem. Try these and let me know the results. If you hear nothing with the radio, repeat the tests with a cassette and/or CD.

Regards,

Fritz, NSX owner, Audiophile, & Electronic Engineer.

Hi Norm!

I doubt it's a problem with grounded speaker wire. If this were the case in either the left or right speaker, you would be able to at least here something from the sub and center (since the amp provides a level of isolation between the left and right speakers and the rest of the system). It's also pretty unlikely a such a problem would just pop-up with the sub and center and even if it did you should be able to hear something from left/right.

Also, you should be able to hear a pop in the left/right when you turn the system on/off since the amp is powering up.

Unfortunately it sounds like the problem is in the head unit.

I'm still in Austin and would not mind taking a closer look to try to determine what the cause is. Just private me.

[This message has been edited by Ojas (edited 08 November 2001).]

You said it had an amp. What kind of amp is it. Some of the newer amps have short circuit protection built in them. So if there is a short the amp shuts off. You also said you had aftermarket door speakers. What kind and who installed them. I have seen to many times stereo shops do bad installs. What I mean by this is usaully when people upgrade they get a bigger speaker that doesnt fit in the stock speaker holders. Those speaker holders do more than just hold the speaker. They also keep the rain out of the back of the speaker. Sometimes the speaker holder gets tossed and the speaker gets mounted directly to the door. I have also seen external crossovers that some speakers come with get mounted in the door. These are not water proof. If water gets in any of these the amp will shut off. Just an idea. You shouldn't be driving your NSX in the rain anyways. Try hooking a speaker directly to the radio without the amp see if you get sound. If not then it probably is the head unit. Good Luck! One last thing the newer amps don't make your speakers pop this is only common in older amps. The newer amps mute the outputs until the amp is completely powered up.

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 08 November 2001).]

I do hear the pop when the amp is turned on. So both the head unit and the amp are receiving power. Just no sound.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

While driving today, sound came on off and on, and when i turned it up i could hear static/crackeling from just the bose speakers.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

This is starting to really sound like a cold solder joint or some other intermittent contact. You might try getting to the connectors to the head unit and disconnecting and then reconnecting them.

Fritz

PS. Norm, This reply is after the one I just sent from my home email address directly to you.

Originally posted by NormRD:
While driving today, sound came on off and on, and when i turned it up i could hear static/crackeling from just the bose speakers.

Your amp is hosed. You can get them repaired at www.boserepair.com for about $90 each. They replace all the electronics in the amp with military grade components and turnaround time was only four days! My driver side speaker started to pop and crackle so I took the door panel off and then the speaker enclosure. Took it apart and disconnected the connector from the amp and then unscrewed it. Did the same for the passenger side even though it was working (betting that it will go out soon).

I got them back, installed them, put everything back together and the stereo sounds perfect! I even tested them by playing a sound effects CD of an A-10 Warthog taking off at full power with some flybys.
smile.gif
Sounded great!

Vytas

[This message has been edited by Vytas (edited 08 December 2001).]

Back