• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stereo trying to tell me something?

So, I replace door amp in a speaker (which had been previously rebuilt, but apparently not very well as it lasted a few months). The new one was working great (thanks BrianK), then a few months later, my CD changer dies. I had gotten the jammed disc code before and fixed it, but this was the "see the dealer" code. So, I got a Alpine unit off Ebay and an adaptor cord. Plug it in and it works great....for two days. The changer seems to still work, but my head unit has completely died. The face just went blank and all sound stopped. The fuse in the driver side footwell is good. What's going to be next? I guess either way, I'm starting the hunt for a reasonably priced head unit.

I finally got rid of all my OEM stereo equipment. The head unit was the last to go out.
I was able to get a used one from the marketplace on here. Think I paid around ~$100-$150 for it. They come up for sale every few weeks or so but you have to be watching because they don't last very long.

The other fuse that is for the head unit is the 'clock' fuse, #33 in the front compartment. (that has been reported to have a "loose" fit sometimes so you might try wiggling it around even if it looks good.

Does your cig lighter socket still work? That is the same cct as the main stereo power so that would validate if the power is getting at least up into the console ....

Ideally - If you can check for power with a voltmeter at the stereo connector plug, you should have 12 V at pin 4 (constant power from fuse 33) all the time & 12V at pin A5 (from fuse 8) when ACC is switched on.

If these are both good, sounds like your H/U went bye/bye - question is why? When you got the replacement Changer are you sure it was after-market or is it at all possible it's OEM Honda/Acura (in which case it wouldn't need the adapter cable).

recently my head unit went dead on me but with the panel lite still on. the unit was taken out and tested and one shop suggested junking the whole thing and put a new unit/speakers in US$ 1000. another shop replaced all the transistors etc for US$ 120.. fixed everything.

also replaced all the amps about 5 years back from Willman Electroncis.. been ok since. FYI, my X is a '91 with 40000 miles. If you like to keep you X truly original, suggest you let some technican look at the head unit before junking it. Otheriwse you will need new dash for any after market system.

pacacu said:
Otheriwse you will need new dash for any after market system.

Actually it is just the center console that you would need to replace. You can buy them from Dali or SOS in either fiberglass or CF overlay. ~$200 should easily get you one.

I noticed a factory one on ebay yesterday with starting bid of 25.00 and I think he was in FL also, I think on west coast, Tampa area

Back