• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

***STICKY*** Gen1 NSX Current Market Analysis

[MENTION=36954]CASCADE1[/MENTION]

I wonder if this car will hit six figures, it only has 13k miles and all service and maintenance was just recently done

Thought the same thing........ $6800 for paint protection and PPF ??? Seems quite high and I’m surprised he did the entire car. Most people I know do the front only
I had my entire car paint corrected, Xpel Ultimate wrapped, and Ceramic Quartz Pro, for less than that. The car looks fantastic. It's not inexpensive (wasn't much less than the $6,800), but worth it!!!

[MENTION=36954]CASCADE1[/MENTION]

I wonder if this car will hit six figures, it only has 13k miles and all service and maintenance was just recently done

Thought the same thing........ $6800 for paint protection and PPF ??? Seems quite high and I’m surprised he did the entire car. Most people I know do the front only
I had my entire car paint corrected, Xpel Ultimate wrapped, and Ceramic Quartz Pro, for less than that. The car looks fantastic. It's not inexpensive (wasn't much less than the $6,800), but worth it!!!

How much does mileage play into cost of the car. 40k vs 13k, how much should the 13k mike cost. $1k, $5k, $10k, etc.

How much does mileage play into cost of the car. 40k vs 13k, how much should the 13k mike cost. $1k, $5k, $10k, etc.

It depends heavily on the model year. Assuming it's manual NA1, the spreadsheet suggests that 13k miles would run about $72k on average, but 40k miles would drop to $55k on average. So, approximately $1.60 / mile at that range. The effect decreases as you go up in miles, i.e. 113k vs 140k does not have as big of a pricing gap.

Wow, that’s huge difference.....I didn’t realize it was that much per mile. I guess if the 13k mile car in BAT sells for $90K-$95k (or more) I should expect to pay $70k-$75k for one with 40k miles in similar condition.

Another thing I heard that also has an impact on price is color, I know for Ferrari red cars are always more expensive. Is there similar sentiment with NSX.

Last edited:
Wow, that’s huge difference.....I didn’t realize it was that much per mile. I guess if the 13k mike car sells for $90K-$95k (or more) I should expect to pay $70k-$75k for one with 40k miles in similar condition.

Another thing I heard that also has an impact on price is color, I know for Ferrari red cars are always more expensive. Is there similar sentiment with NSX.

You can get that info (color) from the spreadsheet in the first post.

If it's a manual NA1, I would be very surprised if the 13k mile car sells for $90+k when we're in a recession; I would expect car values to be flat or decline this year. What year/model is it?

This might have been true 20+ years ago - these days rare and special colors are much more appreciated in the Ferrari world.

NSXs in Grand Prix White tend to sell for a significant premium due to the rarity & association between white and Honda / Japanese racing.

On the later cars, the blues, orange, and sometimes yellow sell for premiums, again due to rarity and the excitement factor of the colors.

Arbitrator - since the 13k mile car on BAT is a 2001, do you think $100k is doable. I agree with everything going on in the economy I though exotic/sport car prices would be down but so far I have not seen many NSX asking price drop. Not sure about other exotics/sport cars.

Sterling Sackey - you’re 100% correct on color, i noticed most are looking for a rare color or white. The 2001 car that I’m looking at is spa yellow, not sure how desirable that color is

Arbitrator - since the 13k mile car on BAT is a 2001, do you think $100k is doable. I agree with everything going on in the economy I though exotic/sport car prices would be down but so far I have not seen many NSX asking price drop. Not sure about other exotics/sport cars.

Sterling Sackey - you’re 100% correct on color, i noticed most are looking for a rare color or white. The 2001 car that I’m looking at is spa yellow, not sure how desirable that color is

Ah, for a 2001 I'd guess it would start in the $90k range, doing a straight read of the spreadsheet on NA2 pop-ups. Add in the 6% BaT premium and the fact that 2001 is the "youngest" NA2, and I'd guess $95k-$100k is right.

I am guessing the other one will go for around $46k, applying the same logic.

I see a good many cars sitting for months on here, eBay, FB, and the usual car sites, so I think many are a bit overpriced. Of course, all it takes is one person to buy, but in my opinion, a well-priced car / house / whatever should move within 2 months. When I think about price drops, I think about *transaction* price drops, not asking price drops. Sales that actually complete are where the market is.

I'm guessing we'll see values drop over the next 6-12 months. I saw someone on FB trying to finance a car now because he has $4k a month to play with, and he's worried that $50k car will become a $75k car within a year. What happens when someone like that has an NSX and loses their job? The car will be the first thing to go. I suspect there are some debt-rich people floating around who will unload during a recession.

Last edited:
Just want to confirm, when you are say “the other one” are you saying I should pay around $46k for the 2001 with 40k miles I’m looking at.

Last edited:
Just want to confirm, when you are say “the other one” are you saying I should pay around $46k for the 2001 with 40k miles I’m looking at.

No, I'm talking about the two on BaT, since you referenced BaT.

2001 13k-mile: I'd guess $95-$100k
1991 69k-mile: I'd guess $44-$46k

The 2001 with 40k miles is probably going to run in the $69-$74k range depending on intangibles like mods, service due, etc. etc.

EDIT: try it yourself, it's really quite comprehensive. RacerXWing did a great job.

Last edited:
Prices very a lot depending on specific details of the car. If it's a single owner and decently maintained, you wouldn't even have time to look at it before someone bought it out from under you in the low 40s. @Chris_Lum Not sure what the details on the car are, but they matter. If you're still in Irvine and you're talking about that repainted orange automatic '95 with 110k miles... then yeah that's not worth what he's asking. Original paint, records, and ownership history mean a lot on these. One of my S2000s sold on BaT last week, and I didn't really see a significant drop from normal at all.

As far as the economy goes (I think someone mentioned it / asked about it), I'm not seeing much of an impact on prices of things that wealthy people purchase. I assume it's due to increasing wealth disparity - most of the people I know who are getting hit hard are middle and lower class. Most of the upper class people I know are not significantly impacted, but see it as a time to get great deals, so demand seems to be compensating for things. Not sure if you guys are seeing the same thing?

oohhhhhhkay i have no idea how my post seems to have reflected a response to someones post straight out of left field. edited for context.

Also FWIW I have an '00 Spa 2-owner with a CTSC that I need to sell due to current fiscal opportunities. Will likely end up putting it on BaT to see if it hits a reasonable reserve, and if not, I will end up reverting it to stock to sell it. I had it for sale and had to pull the sale due to a minor accident, as someone tapped the fender. Took me forever to find a shop who would fight insurance in order to repair the fender correctly. Insurance estimated 1600, shop quoted 11k. Whoops. Do you guys have an idea of what it's worth?

'00 Spa Yellow, 2 owners, 48k. Comptech IHE, SC, Zanardi Suspension. All installed by Acura within 3000 miles of new. All records since new are present. Texas for 4 years then Socal since. Recent maintenance, but timing belt / water pump have not been done in a while. One incident (from December), fully documented, 4" x 1" dent on the fender and repaired by a world-class restoration shop, thanks to slow business due to covid. Brand new clutch (less than 2k miles). I have no idea about the value due to the modifications. I could put it back to stock, but I would have to source parts and I hate to do all that just to sell it. The sheet suggests approximately 66k. From what I remember, it would have been up around 5% due to a 2-owner documented history and the modifications, but with the accident I now have no idea what kind of price adjustment it should have.

Last edited:
Prices very a lot depending on specific details of the car. If it's a single owner and decently maintained, you wouldn't even have time to look at it before someone bought it out from under you in the low 40s. @Chris_Lum Not sure what the details on the car are, but they matter. If you're still in Irvine and you're talking about that repainted orange automatic '95 with 110k miles... then yeah that's not worth what he's asking. Original paint, records, and ownership history mean a lot on these. One of my S2000s sold on BaT last week, and I didn't really see a significant drop from normal at all.

If you're referring to this one, I agree. I've seen it on eBay, too. I suppose he's not in a rush, but I'm sure he has had a lot of prospective buyers' eyeballs on it, and the market has spoken.

As far as the economy goes (I think someone mentioned it / asked about it), I'm not seeing much of an impact on prices of things that wealthy people purchase. I assume it's due to increasing wealth disparity - most of the people I know who are getting hit hard are middle and lower class. Most of the upper class people I know are not significantly impacted, but see it as a time to get great deals, so demand seems to be compensating for things. Not sure if you guys are seeing the same thing?

That's how I see it, too -- for now. I am not impacted (thankfully), and we have 1 year cash on hand for all expenses before I even think about fun car money. But I'm also seeing people on FB interested in financing because they can't afford the car in cash, and they're counting on their job to be there for the duration of the loan. If they're part of the demand now, then not only will that demand vanish if the recession drags on, but they'll also become part of the supply. They're a downward driving force.

Also FWIW I have an '00 Spa 2-owner with a CTSC that I need to sell due to current fiscal opportunities. Will likely end up putting it on BaT to see if it hits a reasonable reserve, and if not, I will end up reverting it to stock to sell it. I had it for sale and had to pull the sale due to a minor accident, as someone tapped the fender. Took me forever to find a shop who would fight insurance in order to repair the fender correctly. Insurance estimated 1600, shop quoted 11k. Whoops. Do you guys have an idea of what it's worth?

'00 Spa Yellow, 2 owners, 48k. Comptech IHE, SC, Zanardi Suspension. All installed by Acura within 3000 miles of new. All records since new are present. Texas for 4 years then Socal since. Recent maintenance, but timing belt / water pump have not been done in a while. One incident (from December), fully documented, 4" x 1" dent on the fender and repaired by a world-class restoration shop, thanks to slow business due to covid. Brand new clutch (less than 2k miles). I have no idea about the value due to the modifications. I could put it back to stock, but I would have to source parts and I hate to do all that just to sell it. The sheet suggests approximately 66k. From what I remember, it would have been up around 5% due to a 2-owner documented history and the modifications, but with the accident I now have no idea what kind of price adjustment it should have.

The sheet suggests the average effect of an accident is 8%. 1-owner suggests a 3% bump -- so 5% for two-owner may be a tad high. Clutch is a plus, and TB service is probably a $3-$4k ding if it's due immediately. The sheet also finds a nearly-0% impact of mods on price, so parting it out may be more valuable for you in the long run.

My guess is $62k, treating it like a 1-owner car and adding in $2k for the clutch and subtracting $3k for the TB. I feel like if you set a reserve at $68k, you'd save yourself the trouble of parting out and recover part of the cost of mods. The data doesn't indicate this, but I personally expect a 10% variance in price due to situations like yours.

Arbitrator - I got really nervous for a second. Thanks for clarifying. Yes the 2001 40k example I’m looking at is a two owner car with all service records from Acura. Timing belt was last done in 2009 (5k miles ago), I’m thinking I have to change the timing belt and water pump due to age. Same goes with tires. Spoke to the dealer they mentioned the steering rack but seller or I didn’t hear anything, just in case I will budget for a rebuild. Price is in the range you mentioned so not way out of line. I’m just worried about buying a car like the NSX and lying a premium price. I plan to keep it long term but still don’t want to overpay and would also like to make sure deal is fair for both me and the seller.

Zakiu - what are you asking for your car. Any pics

Last edited:
Arbitrator - I got really nervous for a second. Thanks for clarifying. Yes the 2001 40k example I’m looking at is a two owner car with all service records from Acura. Timing belt was last done in 2009 (5k miles ago), I’m thinking I have to change the timing belt and water pump due to age. Same goes with tires. Spoke to the dealer they mentioned the steering rack but seller or I didn’t hear anything with it so will likely need to budget for a rebuild. Price is in the range you mentioned so not way out of line. I’m just worried about buying a car like the NSX and price drops in a year due to the economy or loss of interest in the model. Just trying to make sure I buy it at a fair price for both me and the seller.

A 2-owner with full records and no accidents will pull a premium, especially if the color is desirable. Timing belt isn't a big deal if you're in a forgiving environment, but might as well plan for it. Drive over a bumpy road to feel for the steering rack. Any cobbled / brick drive or intersections with drainage channels would be sufficient, I would think. However a dealer assessment is good enough when it comes to negotiation, you know? As far as mine goes, you can send me an email via PM if you'd like to discuss it. I haven't set an asking price for it yet, but it was at 75k obo before it was tapped. The damage was minimal and the repair was done at a shop that regularly does restorations on six and sometimes seven figure cars, so I'm hoping that will minimize any repair concerns. Ironically, it was tagged on the way home from taking photos for the sale. SMH As it sits, my S2000 did very well on BaT, so I may put it there.

I’m looking at a stock 2001 manual with 40k miles, two owner car, clean Carfax. What should I expect to pay for it.

Hey Agc,

The data suggests a current nominal value of around $73,500 to $77,500 for a 1997-2001 NA2 Targa NSX with 40k miles, based on 11 matching sales since the beginning of 2019.

In contrast, the same data suggests a current nominal value of around $88,000 to $93,000 for a 1997-2001 NA2 Targa NSX with 13k miles

I’m back in the market for a NA2 car, was trying to decide between the fixed and pop up headlight and for some reason I just love the pop up lights. Seems pricing for pop up headlight cars are less than fixed, does this mean they’re not desirable.

Others have touched on this already, but my input is that a better way to think of it is not in terms of desirable vs undesirable, but instead to treat each type of NSX as uniquely valued. With a few exceptions, NA1 Coupes have always sold for less than NA1 Targas, which have always sold for less than NA2 Targas (with pop-ups), which have always sold for less than NA2 Targas (2002+), across the entire range of mileages and since the start of my data in 2010. These unique valuations are functions of both supply and demand for each NSX type.

[MENTION=32200]RacerXwing[/MENTION] I think your data (for comparable cars in the 20k-100k mileage range) supports the following valuations:

- NA1 Targas generally sell for a 10% premium over NA1 Coupes
- NA2 Popup Targas generally sell for a 15% premium over NA1 Targas
- NA2 Facelift Targas generally sell for 20% premium over NA2 Popup Targas

I was looking at a yellow 2001 but I’m likely going to pass on it for now. Might just hold off for a while as economy doesn’t look so great in the near future and people are still asking high numbers for their cars.

I was looking at a yellow 2001 but I’m likely going to pass on it for now. Might just hold off for a while as economy doesn’t look so great in the near future and people are still asking high numbers for their cars.

You mind telling where the one you were looking at was located? Sounds like one I also investigated.

Sliver 1992 5 speed with 69k miles with Volks just went for $42,001 on BaT

The seller did himself no favors with some really bad pictures of a dirty car on gravel driveway imo.

Could have got much more with a better showing..... have no idea why someone would put up such bad pictures when trying to sell a car like an NSX.

Sliver 1992 5 speed with 69k miles with Volks just went for $42,001 on BaT

Pardon if this has been mentioned before, but would it be more accurate to quote $44k which includes the BaT fees. This is technically what the buyer was willing to pay for the car?

Pardon if this has been mentioned before, but would it be more accurate to quote $44k which includes the BaT fees. This is technically what the buyer was willing to pay for the car?

true, which is still a good deal for the buyer if everything checks out....it did have some title issues iirc, but a good looking car with Volks with 69K is a good buy at that price... seller could have got more with some better pics.

Back