• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

***STICKY*** Gen1 NSX Current Market Analysis

I'm not 'upset' with the pricing lol, but I sure as hell didn't get fleeced when I bought mine. People asking these crazy prices think this car is made out of gold or something.
It's not. It's made out of aluminium. I'd trade it for an R34 or R35 at the drop of a hat.

People asking these crazy prices think this car is made out of gold or something.

That's the point. Getting worked up over asking prices makes no sense. People are free to ask anything - you can simply ignore them and vote with your dollars by not buying the car. If someone else does, it means they value the car more highly than you do. If nobody does, it means the seller is asking for too much money.

The idea that people are getting mislead or fleeced in the NSX market due to some sellers' unrealistic asking prices is nonsensical. There are references and data all over the internet as to actual selling prices, this thread being one of them.

3XiKMch.gif

RHD imports having an impact of prices of a Gen1 is a bad take, the Corvette isn't. Anyone that thinks a new attainable mid engine 500 HP V8 car with a warranty and reasonable running costs isn't going to impact prices of both generations is looking through rose colored glasses. For most people the NSX is their first dip into "mid-engine-ness" with the fear of McLaren, Lambo, F-car etc prices. The Corvette is going to fill that niche. I've owned a ton of cars and the NSX was my favorite but no way I'd drop 100K on one.

Good thing about my theory is it will be proven or disproven in a couple of years...

MC

RHD imports having an impact of prices of a Gen1 is a bad take, the Corvette isn't. Anyone that thinks a new attainable mid engine 500 HP V8 car with a warranty and reasonable running costs isn't going to impact prices of both generations is looking through rose colored glasses. For most people the NSX is their first dip into "mid-engine-ness" with the fear of McLaren, Lambo, F-car etc prices. The Corvette is going to fill that niche. I've owned a ton of cars and the NSX was my favorite but no way I'd drop 100K on one.

Good thing about my theory is it will be proven or disproven in a couple of years...

MC

I agree.... it might not effect the low mile collector market, but the C8 is going to effect many markets across the sports car spectrum for many of the reasons you mention.

I don't think C8 will affect gen1 but gen2 market. I'm struggling to see who would cross shop gen1 and C8. If anything I would get both or depending on my needs one if that's all I can afford at the moment.

Who do you think would jump from gen1 to C8? Just don't see this happening on the scale that can affect anything.

I don't think C8 will affect gen1 but gen2 market. I'm struggling to see who would cross shop gen1 and C8. If anything I would get both or depending on my needs one if that's all I can afford at the moment.

Who do you think would jump from gen1 to C8? Just don't see this happening on the scale that can affect anything.

There was a time that I actually wanted to sell my NSX to keep saving for my other dream car but realize once I gave my wife the keys to drive it. I will feel instant regret because when she drives by... O Man!!!, the NSX just has that timeless beautiful design. Also, I read some comments here and I know a lot of the former NSX members regret it or end up looking for another one. This is for the response to the guy that says “ their NSX is made of gold”, my car is, I don’t think I would be selling anytime soon. I was never a fan of the corvette. I’ve said this many time. In Massachusetts, corvettes are everywhere. So imaging that the c8 releases. I would predict lots of c8 on the road. It will be the everyday affordable mid engine car and it has 500 HP. My neighbor down the street and the mall security guard is probably waiting for the release of the c8 to trade in their c7. Good price for the looks,hp, and affordability.

Exactly. Yes, there may exist 5, 10, or a few dozen owners who want to do this, but it's not going to affect the NSX market that includes thousands of cars.

And, those who are looking to buy a new sports car with a warranty were never looking at a 20-30 year old, manual transmission, 280 hp N/A sports car in the first place. It could hardly be a more different buyer.

Now, will the new Corvette affect the market for brand-new Porsche Boxster/Cayman PDKs, brand-new 911s, even brand-new NC1 NSXs, etc.? Absolutely.

Last edited:
Exactly. Yes, there may exist 5, 10, or a few dozen owners who want to do this, but it's not going to affect the NSX market that includes thousands of cars.

And, those who are looking to buy a new sports car with a warranty were never looking at a 20-30 year old, manual transmission, 280 hp N/A sports car in the first place. It could hardly be a more different buyer.

Now, will the new Corvette affect the market for brand-new Porsche Boxster/Cayman PDKs, brand-new 911s, even brand-new NC1 NSXs, etc.? Absolutely.

Maybe it's just me because I've had three NSX's, but it's hard not to see the value the C8 brings and objectives say it's the far superior car to a NA1 or NA2 and someone would have to take a long hard look at a brand new $65k 500hp mid engine Ferrari killer with warranty or a $65k 28 year old car with 290hp that many people just seem to take to car shows anymore rather than the race track or just daily enjoyment

It still pretty clear the market is cooling off on the NSX's seeing what is happening on BaT and how long some of these cars sit on the Prime marketplace. The one I posted above going for $39k is an example of that. It seems the ones that sell lately are in that sup $45k range.... Once the NA2 sellers are asking what NC1's are going for @$120k you really really have to just love the original to justify buying one over a low mile NC1 imo

Got to love this Guy comments....On Prime since 2009, with 25 posts and just purchased an NSX.:eek:

Bram
???
Bought my 2000 back in 2013.

Since then, I sold the C32 and super charger and swapped a J32 in it so there is more room for running piping in the future. Once the new supercharger setup is tuned, the plan is to add a turbo, and see how far the stock block can get before it lets go, and then drop in a fully built billet J32. Wide body, '02 facelift, suspension, standalone, etc is already done.

Not interested. Unless someone makes a decent sequential transmission (I'd settle for an Ikeya Formula kit) for the NA2 I'll probably just make this car a fun daily driver twin charged setup. Turn the 98 Supra into a track rat.

Last edited:
It still pretty clear the market is cooling off on the NSX's seeing what is happening on BaT and how long some of these cars sit on the Prime marketplace. The one I posted above going for $39k is an example of that. It seems the ones that sell lately are in that sup $45k range.... Once the NA2 sellers are asking what NC1's are going for @$120k you really really have to just love the original to justify buying one over a low mile NC1 imo

NSXs sitting at high listing prices on Prime and other listing sources is nothing new.

I think it is too early to make a conclusion on the market. So far this year, some NA1 Coupe Manuals have sold consistent with the 2019 market strength, others have sold consistent with the comparably weaker strength of the 2016-2018 market. All of the BaT examples so far this year have been more "driver" examples than "collector" examples. To fully understand the state of the market, I am awaiting more low-mile NSX sales.

The 100% original four digit odometer cars will always fetch a higher price if they are original owner with all paperwork. I wasn't arguing that.
I was just saying that everyone thinking that they can just slap the 'nsx tax' on their car when they sell it is misguided.
Don't get me wrong, I think it's great, because it's instant equity to me. But people seeing these prices and thinking the car is actually worth that? No, it's wrong to do. And I think the majority of people don't say anything about it because they realize it keeps the value of their own car high if they decide to sell it. I just don't think these cars are worth that price, and frankly, most of the parts aren't worth the price either. It's all inflated.

If you can't think of 10 different cars you'd buy or build in the sub 100k range, to include swapped and heavily modified stuff, then you aren't a car guy.

I figure this may be the best place to ask this question! Someone made an honest mistake and blindly pulled into my lane (someone was signaling her it was clear), hitting one of my NSXs. She was really nice about it and I don't think I'm going to have to deal with any fault issues. Took documentation of the incident and her confirming fault. I am not really sure how to accurately gauge diminished value. The market is all over the place with high owner cars with prior modifications, absent maintenance records, and prior paint.

Mine was a 2 owner NA2 with full records since day one and no prior paintwork. 46k miles. Anyone have any idea how much it depreciated due to a minor accident? It now has an accident on its carfax and prior paintwork. I'm not sure if the fender will be replaced or not. My guess is around 7-10k but I'm curious to hear thoughts here. I figure it has been bumped down from collector to driver status.

Just another noob chiming in to say thanks, RacerXwing, for this useful data. I've been stalking the right NSX for me for about a year (after a lifetime of Honda products), and finally found it this weekend. '98 Kaiser Silver 6MT with 28k miles that was lovingly maintained by its second owner for the last 18 yrs. Bone stock. All it needs is TB/WP. How can I message you the details for your data set? Thanks again.

Just another noob chiming in to say thanks, RacerXwing, for this useful data. I've been stalking the right NSX for me for about a year (after a lifetime of Honda products), and finally found it this weekend. '98 Kaiser Silver 6MT with 28k miles that was lovingly maintained by its second owner for the last 18 yrs. Bone stock. All it needs is TB/WP. How can I message you the details for your data set? Thanks again.

nice score!

What makes you think I'm 'getting worked up' lol. Chill guy, I get it, you sell cars for a living. Don't take it personal.

It is very clear from your cadence and language that this is emotionally difficult for you to deal with. Someone who isn't worked up a) wouldn't have bothered to bring the topic up and b) wouldn't be carrying on / trying to debate / prove their point / etc. Those are clear signs that you care a lot and are getting worked up over it. I mean just look at this post, specifically- "I get it, you sell cars for a living." That has nothing to do with anything other than to demonstrate that he has a better understanding of how markets work than you do and also to illustrate that he understands that things are worth what people are willing to pay. Words like "fleeced" are LOADED with meaning, often coming from a place of negativity, accusation, and skepticism.

By your logic, consider this comment: "oh my god, I can't believe someone is willing to pay $800,000 for a 29 year one ton hunk of metal, plastic, rubber, and glass! People are crazy these days! Anyone thinks that a hunk of material is worth that is nuts!" Guess what? 10 years ago nobody was paying that for a Ferrari F40, but now they are worth over $1.2M. A Countach for $300k was a little silly 5-6 years ago, but now $500k is on the table for some of them. There's a lot more that goes into what things are worth than just your opinion. The market's don't care about your opinion, largely because you're not a Countach buyer or F40 buyer.

We all understand the point you're making. There is a metal bubble right now, and sure, some cars aren't worth what people are asking to you - but the reality of it is those cars may be worth those price tags to someone else. The price tomorrow won't be the same price as today. For example, when I had a chance to buy a one-owner female driven accident free Midnight Pearl on black manual at over market I jumped on it. Was it worth that to anyone else? We'll never know. I paid 5k "above market" according to your rules. She sold her car in 3 days according to hers. $5 in order to get exactly what I wanted was worth it for me. Today that same car has appreciated and I now have market value in it.

Another example - friend of mine- his father in law is a self made guy worth over $750m - if he wants something he'll pay a million or two over market if he finds a property he likes. He gets drunk at Barrett-Jackson and bids high. He doesn't care. What he buys is worth it to him, which is what dictates its sale price. To get that wealthy you don't live a lifestyle of "getting fleeced." Does he pay high? Sure. Does he consider himself to be getting fleeced? No. Has he been far more fiscally successful in the world of buying, selling, and investment than you? I'd bet $750m on it.

To me it sounds like you want are partially here to start a dumpster fire, but you are getting taken to school. Everyone here is trying to tell you the facts but you don't want to listen. You just sound like a hater, man. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

???
Bought my 2000 back in 2013.

Since then, I sold the C32 and super charger and swapped a J32 in it so there is more room for running piping in the future. Once the new supercharger setup is tuned, the plan is to add a turbo, and see how far the stock block can get before it lets go, and then drop in a fully built billet J32. Wide body, '02 facelift, suspension, standalone, etc is already done.

DAMN you are getting fleeced!! You're never going to get the money back out of your car that you're putting into it! What a fleecefest! I would never let myself get so fleeced as to spend money on such things! I don't even know who wastes money on that stuff! People these days just don't understand anything!

Also still trying to get some opinions on this if anyone has any... :)

I figure this may be the best place to ask this question! Someone made an honest mistake and blindly pulled into my lane (someone was signaling her it was clear), hitting one of my NSXs. She was really nice about it and I don't think I'm going to have to deal with any fault issues. Took documentation of the incident and her confirming fault.
I am not really sure how to accurately gauge diminished value. The market is all over the place with high owner cars with prior modifications, absent maintenance records, and prior paint.

Mine was a 2 owner NA2 with full records since day one and no prior paintwork. 46k miles. Anyone have any idea how much it depreciated due to a minor accident? It now has an accident on its carfax and prior paintwork. I'm not sure if the fender will be replaced or not. My guess is around 7-10k but I'm curious to hear thoughts here. I figure it has been bumped down from collector to driver status.

Last edited:
No. The guy that sells cars for a living was upset, and projecting by taking it personal and adding to his posts how he perceived my 'tone'. It's just because someone was making a logical argument as to why these cars not worth what he is trying to sell them for. Of course he wants these cars to stay high forever. He brought up supply/demand. Well, none of those overpriced cars are selling. I already said that in the end it just makes my car worth more, but any clear thinking car person knows that these cars are just not worth what people are advertising them for when you take a look at all of the various options out there in the market.

You're never going to get the money back out of your car that you're putting into it!
lol, I don't flip cars for a living, so I don't care.

Replace your fender. Your car is a driver, it's not a low four digit odometer garage queen. It's not like you totaled it, title is still clean. If the new owner asks about the carfax, just tell them.

I'd bet money that "the guy selling cars" couldn't care less. Speaking from experience. Whether you flip cars or not has nothing to do with the fact that you are "getting fleeced," to use your words.

Replace your fender. Your car is a driver, it's not a low four digit odometer garage queen. It's not like you totaled it, title is still clean. If the new owner asks about the carfax, just tell them.

Your response truly demonstrates a lack of understanding about vehicle values and market dynamics. If you think that someone is going to pay the same amount after the accident as before, you are out of touch with reality. If you think that I will just let someone get away with devaluing my vehicle without seeking compensation for damages, you need to take a back seat. Thanks for trying to answer the question, but I'll wait for more useful advice, preferrably from someone like Sterling who understands car sales and how diminished values work. All the best.

Best to give up with this guy, it's like hitting our heads against a brick wall. :D
I think of it more along the lines of trying to teach a 3 year old thermodynamics. They understand what cold and hot mean but not much else. Some kids start to understand when they're 5-6, some when they're in high school, and some never figure it out. You have to at least give it a shot. To each their own!

Congrats from a fellow Kaiser owner. 28k miles still counts a low mileage in my book. Enjoy in good health.

Back