• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Stock NSX

Does anyone else agree that the stock bodied, 94+ stock rimed NSX is the best? I get disgusted when I see body kits, different rims (especially heavy chromed ones), wings, and other gaudy modifications on NSX'es. Why do people destroy their perfect $80k sports car in such ways. Do they just have money to burn? I've seen videos from the last NSXPO and a bunch of cars had been "riced" up. I felt that the owners should be publically humiliated or arrested for vandalizing those vehicles.

Steve (President The Stock NSX Preservation society)
<a Href="http://www.mp3.com/fuzzygreen">The Fuzzy Green Carpets</a>

I think this is a matter of personal taste.

My personal taste is that I have yet to see a body kit or rims or wings that look better than the stock car. But other people may have different taste than mine.

It's also possible that some folks want to put such mods on their cars, not because they think they look better, but because they want them to look different. However, in my opinion, when you see a car as seldom as you see the NSX, there's no need to make it look different! It's not like you need to distinguish it from a million Accords or anything...
smile.gif

I think the original designers did a damn good job. But others may disagree and may have different taste though.

Fuzzy, I totally agree with you. Is this a trend or what? Should we keep our NSX like other exotic car, did anyone see Ferrari's owner doing modification to the body work? Don't try to put on a few hundred dollar rear spoiler or side skirt to make your exotic car looks like a modified Interga, please!! If people have money to spend, spend it on some advance driving course. I can tell you the factory setting is excellent even with no modification, even a pro race drive can only perform around 85% of a stock NSX potential ability. If you think trying to dress up your car will make it look COOL, you should buy a CIVIC, not a NSX. People! BE HIGH, GET NO MODIFY FOR EXOTIC CAR.

Fuzzy chill a little.

First let me apologise in advance to the females on this forum for my male perspective but hey I'm a guy....

While I personally like the look of the stock form the best I can also understand why others may want to change things. Some of the changes in my view are totally ugly, to each his own.

For me cars are like women. I like and enjoy everyone of the them very much. And I do mean all
wink.gif
It's in the eye of the beholder. Some like blonds while others like redheads or burnets. Mine's a blond. Some like a lot of makeup where others prefer very little. I like the natural look.

Bottom line I try to see the best in any of the cars and look past the things that turn me off. If she's got a great rear end, wing
biggrin.gif
, then I check it out. So in the end if you like the stock look keep yours stock and enjoy it. Let others enjoy their mod look. I realize sometimes it may be hard to get past a change. For me nose rings just don't work. I have to focus somewhere else.

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 06 April 2001).]

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but nothing can make up for poor execution or installation. Many of the mods I have seen would have looked much better had the workmanship of the mods been consistent with the quality of the car itself. That said, I side with the factory guys -- there is just something appealing about the unique industrial strength of the NSX design. Two specific observations: First, IMHO the design of the post '93 wheels have not been matched on the aftermarket. The 16/17 curved seven spoke wheels are glorious to behold. The only cosmetic changes I am considering on my 2000 are:
1)SLIGHT reduction in ride height, (one inch, maximum) proabably through the use of HKS adjustable coilovers. If you look at my stock NSX, it really does appear that the ride height was compromised, to the high side, to allow for Joe Q. Consumer who insists on crashing his NSX into inclined parking lot entrances. Lowering the car an inch is not obvious to the casual onlooker, but it really does make the car more consistent with its original desin.
2) Beefier exhaust -- the exhaust somtimes looks a little anemic to me. I'm considering one of the dual tip designs.
The things that appeals to me about both of these changes are that they are subtle and easily reversed.

------------------

Fuzzy,

I agree with you as well. It's funny, but I was thinking the same thing too.

It is a personal preference and I certainly wouldn't criticize anyone for making such mods. It's just that I'm surprised because to my eye the NSX is just about perfect and I would have thought that like minded NSX lovers would have felt the same way. To each his and her own.

It also never occurred to me to make the "other exotics" argument as "Winning Focus" pointed out. That's a great observation. You just don't see too many Ferrari Modenas with add-on panels or wing kits. (and you know, I still think the NSX looks better than the Modena).

I think if someone uses their NSX for predominantly track use and a wing or body kit makes a real difference, then it's different. But I suspect that most of the body kits, wings and radical 18, 19, 20-inch wheels are more for show than go.

Having said this, I also think that we all have much more in common (our love for the NSX) than we have in difference.

I also own a 1974 Corvette and I guess I feel the same way here too. I've always admired the restored original Corvettes as opposed to the dime-a-dozen customized versions. Originality and restorability in the Corvette world is such a big issue. It sometimes borders on the ridiculous. There's a certain type of vacuum hose or a specific type of fastener that must be used on these very-original Vettes. Because of this, I often shudder when I read about some of the non-reversible mods you guys make with your NSXs.

I can just picture that in perhaps twenty years from now a NSX restorer will be cursing the former owner of his find for drilling holes and cutting body panels. LOL!

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

Originally posted by FuzzyGreenCarpets:
Does anyone else agree that the stock bodied, 94+ stock rimed NSX is the best? I get disgusted when I see body kits, different rims (especially heavy chromed ones), wings, and other gaudy modifications on NSX'es. Why do people destroy their perfect $80k sports car in such ways. Do they just have money to burn? I've seen videos from the last NSXPO and a bunch of cars had been "riced" up. I felt that the owners should be publically humiliated or arrested for vandalizing those vehicles.

Steve (President The Stock NSX Preservation society)
<a Href="http://www.mp3.com/fuzzygreen">The Fuzzy Green Carpets</a>

Wow, get arrested..that's a bit too harsh.
People have different taste and the right to do whatever they want to their cars. As some of you may think NSX is already perfect out of factory, it certainly is not IMO. A lot of stuff on stock NSX need to go, especially the eariler NSX. Wouldn't it be so bored if everyone has the same NSX on the earth?

For those professional skeptics who have not tried our body kits but "know" that they won't look good, we have run them across the desert and found that they won't fall off the car, even at speeds up to 100 mph. So stop saying that they don't fit.
wink.gif

We don't care if you don't buy our body kits; we would just as soon not sell any because we'd like to retire. We just want to set the record straight.

Signed,

Joe Marga
Doris Hills

and

Peter Comptech

All in good fun, no offense intended...
biggrin.gif
everyone take ilya's good advice, lighten up and have a great weekend!

Please everyone keep installing body kits so my 1992 35k mile all original never been butchered car will be worth more.

This is a thread I definitely enjoy. I'm constantly asked when I'm going to mod my car...one of my coworker keeps saying "big wing" and another friend tells me I must lower the car and get bigger tires.

I bought my NSX new because I love everything about the car...I fell in love with it before it was launched and was tickled that its appearance hadn't changed much by the time I could afford it. And I rushed out to buy the current ten-year-old design out of fear that the next-gen version would not appeal to me.

When I tell people I don't have plans to mod mine--that I plan to keep it stock for as long as possible--they seem perplexed. I have this vision of keeping my NSX pristine for decades...long after the next-gen and next-next-gen NSX arrives if I can keep her running.

I will never touch the rear spoiler...the NSX's lines flowing seamlessly into its stock rear spoiler are among the signature distinctions which MAKE the NSX the NSX. Putting a big wing may help for racing, but not as much as it distracts from the clean lines of the stock car.

But, that said, there are some visual mods that I do find appealing on the NSX. In particular, I love the look of a lowered NSX running 17s up front and 18s in the rear. I think the Wings West chin spoiler is awesome (though I don't care for the side skirts). Perhaps I'll eventually make these mods, but I doubt I'll ever feel 100% that it is something that I should do. The car's design is awesome...I have a hard time tinkering with, what in my mind, is perfection.

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

17 and 18 inch wheels make a BIG difference in helping the looks of the NSX. However the wheels need to be tastful READ NO CHROME!! Wheel designs are most definetily a matter of personal taste, but some are more universaly liked than others, IE. BBS mesh or a nice 3 piece 5 spoke design. Also lowering the car 1" helps put it in proper proportion. I've seen some body kits that look very nice but the original integrity of design is skewed and the re-sale is shot, especially many years from now. I think for many "car nuts" it can be almost impossible not to tinker with their cars trying to individualize them and I think this is just a by-product of being a auto enthusiast. Like all the idiots who spend time reading and responding on this site. We're all hopelessly absorbed with the intirgue of exotic cars, specifically the NSX.

Wheel designs are most definetily a matter of personal taste, but some are more universaly liked than others, IE. BBS mesh or a nice 3 piece 5 spoke design.

If you're saying these are universally liked, you're wrong. I don't care for mesh wheels and I think the 3-piece look is ugly with all the bolts going around the wheels. Too complex, too fussy - like putting a bunch of little body effects on a car (a la 3000GT or Pontiac Grand Prix). I like the simplicity of the OEM 7-spoke wheels (and there are some other aftermarket wheels that look okay, but not these).

Different spokes for different folks.
biggrin.gif

I felt that the owners should be publically humiliated or arrested for vandalizing those vehicles.

Wow!.....how do you really feel?
biggrin.gif

Just kidding....you state your position well, I personally fall somewhere in between. I like aftermarket wheels and tires and the slightly lowered look.

If you want to see over the top IMO take a look at these pics.
http://www.nona.dti.ne.jp/~hondansx/2001mtg/page.htm

[This message has been edited by Craig (edited 07 April 2001).]

I believe that owning the same car does not make us all the same.

Everybody looks at a car differently, to some it’s a means of transportation, for others a source of fun, and still others see it as a blank artist canvas. Most people see it as a combination of all three. However, in any of these areas status is always present, whether at a traffic light on the way to work, in the pits at a time trial event, or on display at an import car show. However, in any of the possible venues, status takes on different forms. On the road, an NSX is an exotic and commands respect for what Honda has created. On the track certain modifications (engine, suspension, aerodynamics, etc.) garner respect. At a car show the name of the game is cosmetics (body kits, wheels, interior modifications, etc.). Even in the responses to this thread, some people feel that originality is important, while other think minor modifications enhance the appearance. Some try to use resale value to rationalize their "don't touch" perspective.

I believe, to each his own. If the resale value of my car is zero, it will have been worth it to me for the fun I had owning my NSX my way.

I think it depends on your taste! I personally like a very few number of rims for the NSX. I think the body kits look cool, but I wouldnt put one on! But I like the clean look, simply and sleek. I think rims and a drop are the most my NSX will need!(JMO)
Regards
Shawn

Amazing! Until now I had the impression that the vast majority of people on this site wanted all the wild looking add-ons. It's a relief to find that there is a healthy mix.

I say to each his/her own, but for me the bottom line is this. Anything that pulls my eyes and attention away from the overall esthetic excellence of the car is an unwanted distraction and inherently a bad thing. That's why I think busy or shiny wheels should be avoided. (But I do like the SSR Integral even better than the late model OEM) I find big wings and most body kit pieces even more distracting but at least they are far less common.

However, compromises were definitely made for a variety of reasons. I prefer a lowered car with a bit more rubber on the ground, significantly more HP, and better brakes. All of these for better performance, although I think lowering them is a MAJOR plus in appearance (and I'm confident the designers would agree). Frankly I'd be happiest if the brakes were invisible so long as they work better than OEM, and I have zero interest in under the hood treatments like colorful hoses and shiny overflow tanks. But save me some weight and I'm all ears.

Just my .02*3 worth.

Originally posted by steveny:
Please everyone keep installing body kits so my 1992 35k mile all original never been butchered car will be worth more.

Which is exactly why Im keeping my 91 13k mile bone stock with exception of a few things(with reasons to change):

Wheels ( I switched to the 97 up stock wheels. because they look absolutely beautiful, and Im keeping the OE 91 wheels perfect)

Floor mats ( I switched to the Zanardi mats to keep the, now unavailable, 91 mats in 10k mile condition)

Shifter ( again, I switched to an aftermarket knob to keep the oe one from wearing)

Thats it, WHY MESS WITH PERFECTION?

Steve

I get disgusted when I see body kits, different rims (especially heavy chromed ones), wings, and other gaudy modifications on NSX'es. Why do people destroy their perfect $80k sports car in such ways. Do they just have money to burn? I've seen videos from the last NSXPO and a bunch of cars had been "riced" up. I felt that the owners should be publically humiliated or arrested for vandalizing those vehicles.

Steve

Wow, that is a pretty rude statement. I dont think I should be arrested for anything more than driving to fast. We are all on the same "team" - NSX enthusiasts. Within there will be different opinions, but I dont expect to get flamed because my opinions differ from yours.

If the NSX is good enough stock for you, then congratulations. I, and many others, have found the car lacking in some areas thus have made performance and/or esthetic modifications.

I just changed my signature (with pride) to include a recent purchase and installation of the WW side skirts and rear spats. IN MY OPINION, these significantly enhance the "narrow" stance of the NSX, giving it much more presence. park a stock NSX next to a 355 or 360 and you will be amazed how "timid" the NSX looks in comparison. if that is the look you want, more power to you, but I did not.

I had my NSX in long beach for the CART grand prix this weekend, parked with 355's, 360's, countach's, z-8's etc.. at the westin hotel and recieved as many compliments and oogling stares as any of them. by the way, my car is one that is lowered with bigger wheels, also.

the car is filthy now, but will post some pic's soon. FuzzyGreenCarpets, if you dont want to look at them, fine with me.

------------------
Justin
'98 NSX-T Blk/Blk
· Comptech headers / exhaust / airbox
· Dali Racing / Brembo big brake kit
· Koni adjustable suspension w/Comptech springs and sway bars
· Volk TE-37 17/18” wheels
· Wings West side skirts and rear spats

[This message has been edited by justin hall (edited 09 April 2001).]

I dont think I should be arrested for anything more than driving to fast

I don't think you should be arrested for driving too fast, either.
biggrin.gif

I'm in complete agreement with DeHaldaswerth,
I have a Brooklands green '94. I just like the subtle racy look. All I've done to the car right now is taken off the engine cover and intake. I'm looking at lowering the suspension and getting slight widening spacers. I would also like to do the header/exhaust mod. Other than that, I plan not to touch it until I really crave the speed. I think making sure my brakes work consistantly on the track would be more be a more worthwhile investment in the beginning.

Originally posted by SJJ28:
Which is exactly why Im keeping my 91 13k mile bone stock with exception of a few things(with reasons to change):

Steve

You have a 91 with only 13k miles? Geez, if I don't drive mine that far in a year I get cranky. Don't be afraid to get some use out of this marvelously designed car...
smile.gif

The best part of going to NSX rallies and to NSXPO, which I would like to do for the first time this year, is spending time with such an eclectic group of NSX owners and all the different variations of mods such as wheels, body kits, engine detail, etc. that individualizes each and every owner present.

To be honest with everyone, if there were no mods available for the NSX I would never want to drive clear across the country to NSXPO to look at another NSX that looks just like mine or just to see it in a different color. How boring would THAT be? The only TWO questions you could ask fellow NSX owners at the rally would be:

What year is your NSX? and,
How many miles are on it?

I almost forgot. There would be one more question:

What kind of wax do you use? Zaino or Zymol?
If that's all we had to talk about we could all save ourselves the trouble of leaving the house and just sit around on our "ASSES" in front of our computer asking these same questions over and over. (Especially the Zaino/Zymol issue like we already do.
wink.gif
)

I challenge anyone on this forum to start up an NSX website solely dedicated to keeping the NSX stock and see how much traffic you would get compared to THIS site. What TOPICS could you possibly have?

Favorite Radio Stations to Listen to in the NSX?
Where have you driven your NSX to lately?
Is your NSX a Coupe or a Targa?

FuzzyGreenCarpets, you could be the first member.
wink.gif

I can't see myself spending countless hours at a website like this one. Do you see what I'm getting at?
If keeping your NSX stock is what "floats your boat?"; GREAT. I feel that those who don't care to experiment with their NSX truly could never experience the satisfaction that this site brings to many of us who enjoy reading about the latest and greatest mods available. I look forward to seeing what others are up to in hopes that there may be new ideas that I haven't thought of and would like to try or to simply share my crazy ideas and ventures with other interested members.
For me, is kinda funny to see a stock NSX and then say to myself, "I can remember when mine used to look like that."
smile.gif

These are just my thoughts.

The best part of going to NSX rallies and to NSXPO, which I would like to do for the first time this year

Cool!
cool.gif
Are you coming to the NSX Club event in Las Vegas at the end of the month? Uh oh... I don't know if it's been posted here in the forums. I'll post about it in a moment.

Incidentally, there are many, many things that NSX owners discuss when they're together, and mods (performance and aesthetic) are only a small part of the discussion. It's rather like these forums - people talk about their experiences with the car, things that go wrong, etc, as well as mods, and "off-topic" stuff like people's lives, careers, etc. I think every person has a good time whatever particular aspect of the NSX ownership experience is of interest.

Back