• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Storage of spare in front bracket question

I haven't looked at my spare for some time and I took it out tonight. According to the manual it had been mounted in the correct position, with the painted side pointing to the rear of the car, but the mounting bracket has really rubbed of a lot of the paint off the wheel. It's no big deal but it looks to me there's no way to avoid this since the bracket rubs directly on the painted wheel. Are there supposed to be small pads on the mounting bracket?

Yes, there are supposed to be two small rubber tabs pressed into the aluminum frame that the spare sits against. Like yours, mine have disappeared over time too, chipping the paint on my spare. :frown:

Yes, there are supposed to be two small rubber tabs pressed into the aluminum frame that the spare sits against. Like yours, mine have disappeared over time too, chipping the paint on my spare. :frown:
There are THREE rubber pieces which the face of the wheel sits against and protect it against scratching. The two caps that Ken mentions - part number 74176-SL0-000 - fit on the ends of the horizontal portion of the bracket. They slip off very easily, and as a result, are the most common parts missing from NSXs. The third - part number 74174-SL0-000 CUSHION, SPACE SAVER TIRE - looks like a rubber silver dollar and sits on the front side of the vertical portion bracket which the spare leans against. This part is sometimes missing as well. These parts list for $6-7 each.

Back