• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Straight Pipes=Flames?

Just wondering if straight pipes will cause short flames to emit from the back. Other than the stronger exhaust fume scent, and raspier sound, do the do that much, and are they worth it? I'm assuming the back of my car should look like this after I remove the cats...
biggrin.gif
AfterBurn.jpg

[This message has been edited by NSXkid (edited 19 July 2002).]

If you could 'richen' up your fuel/air ratio and put a spark plug in the exhuast, you could get a flame. I haven't tried it on an NSX cause it is ridiculously stupid to do on any car that you care about, BUT it can be done.

If you really want flames shooting out of the back of your exhaust, I do have one suggestion that is NOT detriMENTAL to your engine. I have no idea who makes it or who sells it but I've seen this kit before. It is something like a butane tank with a purge valve in your exhaust. You hit a button in the car that ignites a spark plug or a gas grill igniter. The butane is ignited by the spark and, joila, you have an F-16 style bluish flame shooting out of the back.

If I can find the kit, I'll post a link.
Gavin

I run cat bypass pipes and have been told that on the track my car emits flames about a foot long at each downshift. I also have a friend who runs a twin turbo setup and his car shoot flames at each upshift...no cats either.

Originally posted by gavin:
If you could 'richen' up your fuel/air ratio and put a spark plug in the exhuast, you could get a flame. I haven't tried it on an NSX cause it is ridiculously stupid to do on any car that you care about, BUT it can be done.

If you really want flames shooting out of the back of your exhaust, I do have one suggestion that is NOT detriMENTAL to your engine. I have no idea who makes it or who sells it but I've seen this kit before. It is something like a butane tank with a purge valve in your exhaust. You hit a button in the car that ignites a spark plug or a gas grill igniter. The butane is ignited by the spark and, joila, you have an F-16 style bluish flame shooting out of the back.

If I can find the kit, I'll post a link.
Gavin

Try this!

[This message has been edited by Jim (edited 19 July 2002).]

Back