• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sway Bar end links rubbing Coilovers???

Anyone else experienced this after installing coilovers? I have installed a set of JIC's and changed my tire wheel set up, but seems it should not be happening. I noticed scuffs/wear marks from the end links while we had it on the lift installing the SOS test pipes last week.

I was able to move the sway bar back and forth with little effort so I repositioned it dead center and tightend the brackets and bushings down, but it will still slide with a little more effort.

Do I just need new bushing to stop any movement or is this an excuse to move up to a larger sway bar :biggrin:

Last edited:
Yes. I don't have JIC but have seen seen this on another shock.
Problem is with the sway bar.

Do you have the nsx-r chassis bar? If you do, make sure the sway bar is not hitting the nsx-r.
Most of the folks I know that track there nsx have removed this bar, there is no way to get it to work.
Shimming the bar doesn't do the trick. been there done that...

The sways on my car have a clamp that limits side travel.

They don't rub any more.

Later,
Don

Last edited:
Should the sway bar be able to move at all from side to side? I am thinking maybe the bushings are just old and are not doing their job. After tightening the brackets down on the bushings it moves less freely, but can still be moved by hand with a little effort on my part. I have slight grooves/nicks in the shocks now from where it has been rubbing and need to be sure this doesn't continue and cause a leak in them.

front or rear..are they oem?

As Don said, you need clamps to hold the sway bar from sliding. Do a search, or see DaliRacing's sway bar.

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=2029

As for Don's case regarding the Type-R bar, he is still in the stone ages :eek: The issue has been resolved :tongue: You need something like this in case you are having a problem.

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=2255

Kip, Steve and other say get rid of it.

I tried the bushings kit that Hrant has in his car and after they still hit and I went off track I took Kips and Shads advice and yanked it.

I never noticed that a difference after removing the bar.
I retained the bar in front of the radiator.

Kip, Steve and other say get rid of it.

I tried the bushings kit that Hrant has in his car and after they still hit and I went off track I took Kips and Shads advice and yanked it.

I never noticed that a difference after removing the bar.
I retained the bar in front of the radiator.

Are you saying remove the sway bar or the NSX-r bar? It doesn't seem like the NSX-r bar would be stock on the 91's and I have not added anything there. Is my thought that the bushings are worn innacurate? Should I be able to move them by hand? Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
I suspect the NSX-R chassis bar is made to fit with the NSX-R sway bars.
I'm suspect there is no problem there. I have not used a OEM NSX-R sway bar.

Some aftermarket sway bars will hit the NSX-R chassis bar.

The bushings allow the bar to rotate.
They don't prevent side to side motion.

Thinking about this for a few min.

I lower the car as much as I can for the track. Doing so will reduce the clearance between the NSX-R chassis bar and my sway bar. :)
This may be why Hrant has not had an issue?
At stock ride height there may be no issue.

Another side effect of this is breaking the end links. Before I removed the NSX-R bar I would break endinks I have broken several. Since removing the bar I have not had an issue. :smile:

So my goal is to keep the end links from hitting the strut housing due to side to side movement of the sway bar system. How can I accomplish this? I do not have an issue with the NSX-r bar as I do not have one. I just don't want to risk puncturing the housing and cause a leak in my coilovers.Thanks

If this is a real problem, I am surprised this is the first I am hearing of it. I have titanium Dave's end links, I have never even checked to see if they may or may not be hitting the damper body.

I am trying to figure if we did something wrong during the installation or maybe didn't tighten something back down. These came off a local members 2002, but the part numbers are the same for the 91 so that shouldn't matter.

So my goal is to keep the end links from hitting the strut housing due to side to side movement of the sway bar system. How can I accomplish this? I do not have an issue with the NSX-r bar as I do not have one. I just don't want to risk puncturing the housing and cause a leak in my coilovers.Thanks

The answer was given to you in the first link of post #5. You may even find a similar clamp at your local hardware store.

If this is a real problem, I am surprised this is the first I am hearing of it. I have titanium Dave's end links, I have never even checked to see if they may or may not be hitting the damper body.

It is not an uncommon issue with aftermarket sway bars and/or dampers; it was identified some 7-8 years ago when most of the suspension changes were Bilsteins and Konis. Check yours to verify if it does.

Mine did touch/scrape (not hot) at the time when I had the Bilstein on lower perch with OEM springs and CompTech adjustable sway bars - mild changes in current standards. The clamp solved the problem.

Back