• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Swimming pool cleaner

So I am having a swimming pool installed in a coupe of weeks. I have set up a maintenance agreement to have someone come and clean the pool. I would also like to get a automatic cleaner/rover to clean the pool in-between visits made by the pool company. Can anyone recommend a good automatic cleaner that will keep the pool sides and bottom clean. The pool is 20X40 and 9 feet deep on the deep end. Also anything else I should be thinking about?
Thanks in advance.

Congrats! Thats a nice sized pool! Sorry I dont have anything to contribute as of yet. But since im in the same boat, I'm curious to see responses.

Just make sure the swimming pool cleaner looks great in a bikini! :tongue:

Our new "Mayberry special" here in Iowa

paulmulikcar.jpg

We use the aquavac tiger shark and really like it.http://www.aquavacsystems.com/

It has it's own self contained filter that you hose off before you throw it in. It runs for 5 hours and does a great job. It is expensive but worth it.

If you go with a salt water type pool you could easily take care of the pool yourself and save the cost of someone else cleaning the pool.

NSX-Stalker

My brother has an Aquabot that you plug-in and it crawls around on the bottom and sweeps dirt into a collection bin. He is very unahppy with it to the point that he won't use it any more. He got a kreepy krawly to replace it.

My friend has a Ray Vac that operates on pressure. It does a good job of stirring up the water, but not at collecting leaves and dirt. You must clean out a collection bag in the machine. It fills up quickly.

I have a kreepy krawly. It's cheap and I thnk one of the best. It operates on suction and draws the dirt into into your filter. It keeps my bottom and sides clean as a whistle. I let mine in all the time when I'm not in the pool.

If you are having a pool built right now, I'd recommend that you install a suction port for vacuuming and your automatic cleaner. It is much more convienent than using a skimmer with an adaptor plate.

My recommendation is a kreepy and a dedicated suction port. It has served me well for 11 years. With auto chlorinator, Nature2 system and kreepy, my pool is maintenance free.

YMMV. Good luck

We have the Polaris 380 and it does a great job. They service the pool once per week, but to be honest, they could probably come 2x/month as clean as the Polaris keeps it. I only run it 3 hours/day on a timer and neve use the pool cover. I had a pump failure once and it was AMAZING how awful the pool looked in a few days without the Polaris operating. Well worth the eye sore of seeing it in the pool.

Best of luck,

Ben

I use the Polaris also and I think it does a pretty good job. It does have an added benefit is that the thing is just mesmerizing to watch run around the pool. Then again, I must admit that I am an easily entertained guy.

Thanks for all the info. I did get the salt system with the pool. Do you think with the salt syatem and the auto cleaner I will not need someone to come and take care of the pool?

Also I am going to put up a pool house. The wall facing the pool is going to have a rotating section where I can turn the wall so the inside is outside. On the section that turns I am putting in a LCD or Plasma TV. Is it ok to leave the TV outside in the in winter, the TV will be on the inside of the pool house of course. The pool house will not be heated.

possibly...

steveny said:
Is it ok to leave the TV outside in the in winter, the TV will be on the inside of the pool house of course. The pool house will not be heated.

I'm thinking humidity/moisture will take it's toll on the TV's inner components. Atleast that's what happens w/ stereo-components/speakers. Also, upstate-NY winter brings temperatures below freezing often; even below zero occasionally. Some of the delicate panels/boards of the TV's components may get brittle over time.

I thought it might not be a good idea to leave it outside but was not sure. There is a distributer who offers a bracket for the screen where the screen can be lifted on and off the wall eaisly. Thanks for the info.

I have a salt water pool and it's really easy to take care of. Basically just add salt a couple times a year... well, not really. Basically clean your traps once a week, backwash when necessary, keep your filter clean, make sure the your cell is generating chlorine and that's it - maybe shock it 4 times a year or so. It's pretty easy, I've always taken care of my own pools - saltwater and fresh.

As far as little auto cleaner guys, I have a Hayward navigator that works well for me. I've also used a kreepy krawler in the past and it works very nicely, but its a bit loud. The Barracuda seems to be a good compromise... I haven't used it, but my buddy has it and it does the job for him. I'm in AZ so it gets hot (110 degrees today). That's why I use the hayward... it doesn't deteriorate in the heat as quickly as the krawler and cuda, otherwise I'd go with one of them.

attachment.php
Built-in Cleaning Systems
Installing a permanently built-in AutoClean™ system from A&A Manufacturing will reduce maintenance time and costs and provide your pool with automatic, silent, systematic, programmed cleaning every time your pump is turned on. The virtually invisible AutoClean™ cleaning heads are individually factory-designed for your pool and then strategically built-in flush throughout the floor, steps and benches of your pool and spa. A speed adjustable water valve directs water to cleaning heads which pop-up and send a stream of filtered, treated water across the floor and walls of your pool. The activated cleaning heads sweep dirt and debris into suspension to be removed through the QuikSkim venturi pool skimmer and Quick LeafVac main drain to the filter. AutoClean™ is user friendly and there is never anything to remove and replace

My Friend puts in pools...This might be a good solution...

Attachments

• qchead.jpg
    qchead.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 637
heathbar0 said:
attachment.php
Built-in Cleaning Systems
Installing a permanently built-in AutoClean™ system from A&A Manufacturing will reduce maintenance time and costs and provide your pool with automatic, silent, systematic, programmed cleaning every time your pump is turned on. The virtually invisible AutoClean™ cleaning heads are individually factory-designed for your pool and then strategically built-in flush throughout the floor, steps and benches of your pool and spa. A speed adjustable water valve directs water to cleaning heads which pop-up and send a stream of filtered, treated water across the floor and walls of your pool. The activated cleaning heads sweep dirt and debris into suspension to be removed through the QuikSkim venturi pool skimmer and Quick LeafVac main drain to the filter. AutoClean™ is user friendly and there is never anything to remove and replace

My Friend puts in pools...This might be a good solution...
Yeah, my pool has those little jet guys all over it for cleaning as well. They work really well, but I find that they don't clean everywhere. They are awesome for cleaning on steps and walls that the vac can't get to. I guess if you have enough them placed perfectly, there would be no need for the auto vacs.

Good luck Steve!!

I have the Polaris 480 in black, since I have a lagoon style pool with dark colored plaster. It works well and isn't as noticeable as the white version. The key is measuring the length of the hose correctly so it reaches all areas but doesn't tangle. If you didn't go with the in-ground cleaning system during construction, that option seems like it's out the window now.

I have a saltwater pool too, but I do use a pool service. For $100 a month, I don't have to do a damn thing. No chemicals to store, no vacuum to hide, no testing of the water....nothing. All I have to do is splash around and pretend I'm Ariel from the Little Mermaid. Wheeeee!

As far as the TV - you're better off using a "disposable" TV outside for a few reasons - humidity will wreck the components, sunlight will fade the screen, and all the little critters will make their way inside and mess up the innards. I promise that you'll lose the spider battle!

The rotating wall sounds very cool - good luck!

Depending on if your pool is enclosed in a screen or not will depend on your choice of automated cleaning system. Since ours is in a cage we went with the Shark. We wanted something that would pick up small bits of dirt and clean the walls from any algae really well. If your pool is not screened you'll get a lot of large stuff. If you choose a cleaner that filters into your main filter you'll end up cleaning the main filter fairly often. We run the Shark once per week and do the chemicals. Our pool is not salt water but will be by the end of the year.

I would suggest doing the maintenance yourself for a while and see how it goes. If you find it's too much of a hassle then get a contract.

NSX-Stalker

Hay Steveny,
I happen to own my own pool service company. Yes, Polaris is your best bet. However I would stay away from the 360 and the 380. Both are belt driven cleaners and the belts will need to be replaced every once in a while. The 360 works off of shared water between the return lines and the cleaner. Depending on how the plumb in the cleaner most of the water has to go back through the line un filtered. Meaning that about 75% of the water is not filtered. The 380 works off a seperate booster pump. That is way better, but it is belt driven. I would put in a 280 with a booster pump. The 280 has a stainless steel drive shaft. No belts. The 480 in my opinion is a wast of money. You should be able to get a 280 for around $500. The black max cleaners are about $50 more. Also if you buy a package deal, cleaner and booster pump together, it is cheaper. If you have any questions pm me and maybe I could get you a good deal. Hope that helps with the cleaners. As for the salt systems, they are good. It does require more work than just dumping in salt. You have to remember that it will only produce chlorine when the pump is on. I have some accounts taht only want to run their pumps for about 4 hours a day. Here in the Sacramento area that is not going to work. At least not when it's over 100. Some times I have to add liquied chlorine to the pool to make up the difference. The liquied chlorine is the same thing that the salt system makes. Don't let anyone tell you different. Also you will have to clean the salt cell as calcium will coat the plates in the cell. Anyways pm me if you want to. I can give you my number and we can talk over the phone. Rob

Sorry to Hijack...

1NSX2NV, how long do you recommend letting the pump run for somebody in AZ? It's over 105 constantly this time of the year. I have the chlorine generation set to 75% and I run it 8 hours a day (during peak heat hours). I also super chlorinate on Mondays for those 8 hours. I have a pebble tech pool with their pebble sheen blue granite - around 15,000 gallons. Do you think that is adequate? I also have some water features that do waterfall stuff and a separate pump to work the jacuzzi type jets in a sitting area, should these be run from time to time to keep them "fresh?" If so, how often? It is also heated, but I never turn the heater on. I'd like to use it at night during the winter though, will it effect the chlorine generation? That is, if I heat the pool to say 85 degrees, will the chlorine still generate properly through the salt system? I have heard that it doesn't work well when the water heats up.

Wow, sorry to ask so many questions. Like I said, I take care of my own pools but there are a lot of things that I am just a little unsure about. My pool always looks nice and clean, but I also have a pool guy come out twice a year for maintenance - pluming and what not.

Thanks!
Erin-Michael

beckertb said:
We have the Polaris 380 and it does a great job. Ben

I'm with Ben on this one...although we have the smaller 280 due to a smaller size area to cover. We also have the salt system and it has been good for the last two years.

I have the 380 Polaris and it works quite well. My pool service rebuilt it whenthe belts needed replacement after 5 years of use. I watched them do it on the deck, took about 10 minutes.

Anyone know who rebuilds these aquabots? It gave up the ghost this morning.

My old house had an outdoor pool (indoor pool now) and I had to fix my polaris often since the pool was surrounded by trees! (Polaris is the best)

Its DEAD simple, take it apart - screwdriver - and bring in the broken parts to a Polaris Dealer, they sell all the replacement parts.

Parts that need regular replacement (if you make the little bugger really work):
1) Wheel Bearings (come off with slot screw driver, just pop new ones in)
2) Catch nets - I used to keep three, one brand new, one on unit, one ready to "hot swap" makes changing easier - nets die when velcro goes
3) Wheels, the rubber slowly dies, fresh wheels grip and run great
4) Tails - I ran a new tail every year, I found the rubber wear-rings died from rubbing

Note - My Polaris ran 2-3 hrs a day to ensure tree crap wasn't in the pool - pine-cones plug up the venturi hole - check it out if you have pine trees and notice it isn't cleaning well

My old house had an outdoor pool (indoor pool now) and I had to fix my polaris often since the pool was surrounded by trees! (Polaris is the best)

Its DEAD simple, take it apart - screwdriver - and bring in the broken parts to a Polaris Dealer, they sell all the replacement parts.

Parts that need regular replacement (if you make the little bugger really work):
1) Wheel Bearings (come off with slot screw driver, just pop new ones in)
2) Catch nets - I used to keep three, one brand new, one on unit, one ready to "hot swap" makes changing easier - nets die when velcro goes
3) Wheels, the rubber slowly dies, fresh wheels grip and run great
4) Tails - I ran a new tail every year, I found the rubber wear-rings died from rubbing

Note - My Polaris ran 2-3 hrs a day to ensure tree crap wasn't in the pool - pine-cones plug up the venturi hole - check it out if you have pine trees and notice it isn't cleaning well

It was cleaning great. I run it about 6-7 hours a day so I don't have to do anything with the pool except swim in it. This morning I went out and found the Aquabot dead in the cuddy cove portion of the pool. It looks like it climbed up on one of the seats and got stuck. I am guessing it couldn't take any water in or something like that. Are they water cooled?

Anyways I pulled it out of the water and reset it and it worked but as soon as I put it back in the water it stopped working. Seems like it should have worked longer than 2 years. Like the friction of the water is too hard for it to move in.

The thing has been through hell. A guy putting the roof on my pool house dropped a ladder on the cord and sheared it in half. The dog attacked it one day when the dog was swimming. The thing crawled up the wall and startled the dog. Big Mike, this 6'5" 350 pound dude that hangs around here in the summer sometimes, did a cannon ball and landed on the thing. I kinda feel bad for it.:frown:

I called the pool places around here and no one repairs them. My brother-in-law is going to take a look at it tomorrow. So in other words the funeral will be on Wednesday as most everything he takes apart stays that way. :biggrin:

I have a Polaris 380 and it works extremely well. It's also a pretty cool piece of engineering.

I highly recommend running a salt water pool with chlorine generator. We have a Pool Pilot DIG-220. After the opening shock treatment, we add literally zero chemicals to the pool all season. Between the Polaris and and the Pool Pilot our pool is virtually maintenance-free.

Last edited:
Back