• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Take out parking light bulb

I got the front light assembly out. How does parking/position bulb come off?
parking bulb.jpg

Thanks. Twist left or right? Seems to be stuck. How to loosen?

Finally came off but new light bulb would not light up. Side marker light is working but not this parking/positional light. Might need new harness.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Finally came off but new light bulb would not light up. Side marker light is working but not this parking/positional light. Might need new harness.
Thanks for your help.

Your new light bulb isn't LED is it? If it is, try turning it around and re-insert.

The side marker lights are on a completely different circuit than the front parking / position lights. The side marker lights are tied in with the signal light circuit. If the front parking light on the other side of the car is working then the fuse supplying the parking lights is OK. Assuming you haven't tried to use a LED bulb, carefully check the wires at the back of the socket for damage and check the contacts inside the socket to see if they have been damaged. As mentioned by Yellow Scorpion check for voltage at the socket. The circuit is pretty simple so the problem is likely at the socket.

The parking lights share the same ground connection point as the turn signal lights. If those are working then the ground connection point should be OK. If both parking lights are dead then check fuse #28 in the under hood fuse / relay box.

Plain 5v Stanley Oem.

The side marker lights are on a completely different circuit than the front parking / position lights. The side marker lights are tied in with the signal light circuit. If the front parking light on the other side of the car is working then the fuse supplying the parking lights is OK. Assuming you haven't tried to use a LED bulb, carefully check the wires at the back of the socket for damage and check the contacts inside the socket to see if they have been damaged. As mentioned by Yellow Scorpion check for voltage at the socket. The circuit is pretty simple so the problem is likely at the socket.

The parking lights share the same ground connection point as the turn signal lights. If those are working then the ground connection point should be OK. If both parking lights are dead then check fuse #28 in the under hood fuse / relay box.

Thank you sir. All turn signals, side markers and passenger side positional lights work except for this one. The socket looks clean but back socket wires are gunky. So if there is no voltage, I can just replace the socket?

Plain 5v Stanley Oem.

- They would be 12 volt OEM. I have never seen a 5 volt bulb in that size; but, if you did manage to find one it definitely would be dead immediately after you turned it on.

All turn signals, side markers and passenger side positional lights work except for this one. The socket looks clean but back socket wires are gunky. So if there is no voltage, I can just replace the socket?

- if you mean that the back of the socket where the wires enter the socket are gunky that might be Okay. That area does get some road spray. Clean off the wires and examine as best as you can looking for damage. Gunk in the socket down in the pins is a problem and definitely needs to be cleaned out.

- Test for voltage on the pins inside the socket. If there is no voltage then with a sharp pin type probe pierce the insulation on the wires at the back of the socket to check for voltage. If you have voltage in the wires; but, no voltage at the pins in the socket then the socket is faulty. Check carefully because socket failures are not common.

Last edited:
Oem 12 volt Stanley bulb, my bad. Anyway, thank you all for your advice as I was successful this afternoon in having that parking light turn on. I took out the connector from the harness and found out there was a lot of what looks like dielectric grease buildup at the back of the connector. I scraped out as much as I could of the paste like buildup, sprayed it with electric cleaner, let it dry, reconnected, and plugged in the dealer purchased OEM bulb and voila! Driver's side position light is fixed. So happy to have it back after five months or so of procrastination.

Thank you all for your help. Now, to move on addressing the more than a dozen greenish drops of fluid on my garage floor directly underneath the coolant reservoir.

Back