• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Taking a poll

i also think it depends on the color, if its red, the car doesnt look as good if it has a black roof, but if its silver it looks pretty damn cool
smile.gif

------------------
me want NSX, me 15, me no have NSX =( but me do 3d art http://members.home.com/mcudich

I have a red/black 91 and have thought about painting the roof red. All the newer red NSX's I've seen with the one color look better in my opinion.

Anyone here who's had this job done care to share what it cost and were you happy with the results? Does it involve disassembling the roof?

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
100% better with black roof...

From the moment I saw my first NSX, I though to myself, "Why in the World do they paint the top black?" Then I found out that it was because the engineers wanted it to resemble the cockpit canopy of an F-16 Fighter jet. So then I asked myself, "Okay, so where's the vertical stabilizer?"

When Honda finally started painting the roof with matching color in 1995, I thought, "Now THAT is what they should have done in the first place."

Nsxotic is not 100% wrong... a black top does look good... but ONLY on a BLACK NSX
smile.gif
. (Just giving you a bad time, Todd.
wink.gif
)

------------------
nsx1
2000 Yellow/Black/6-sp #172 - stock
http://www.nsx1.com

Well mines a black so I think all one color looks great.
smile.gif

Seriously I think it depends on the look you're going for. It's just like wheels. If you're going for the race look I think black roof. If you're looking for classy, all one color. If you've got Black like me you're just bitch'in
biggrin.gif
hehehe that's what my 18 year tells me at least....

Someone should speak up for "originality" in this thread, so I'll try. Although most participants in the forum seem to favor adding any and all improvements that become available for their cars, some of us want to perserve what can only be described as a fine piece of automotive art. There is virtue in an NSX that is unmolested, and that includes changing colors!

I originally had a black/ivory 91 and one of the reasons I chose that color is that the monochromatic scheme is much more attractive (IMHO). Design is a fundamental part of how I make my living and a unified design is much more pleasing. I understand the Honda engineers fascination with the F-16, but it really dates the car. Very 80s (at best). After all, the F-16 was originally penned in the 70s.

I now own a silver 91 and painting the roof to match (a spur of the moment decision) is one of the best things I ever did to improve the appearance. I highly recommend it.

I have a red/black 91. My opinion on the exterior is that sports cars should be red. There is a reason that the majority of the NSXs sold are red, it's simply because the majority of the people that buy sports cars prefer red. That said, the mono-chromatic black early cars are attractive because they are a single color, and they photograph very well as demonstrated by PUREVIL and others. However, I have owned several black cars and they are a drag to keep clean as they show all dust/dirt. Also in my opinion, black muddies the lines of the car. The black roof on the NSX is not unique as it also existed on Eclipses and Camaros in the early 90's. Personally, I am leaning towards painting the roof red to match the car since the only reason to keep it black is originality and my car is a driver and will not be sold as a collector item. I do not feel that it will hurt the resale value. I am interested in hearing others experiences with painting the roof, for instance, should I consider painting the entire car to get a good color match and repair minor stone chips. If painting the whole car, I have considered Lambo Diablo Orange for a couple of seconds but it seems extreme and maybe to much like a VW Beetle approach. Opinions? For the interior of the NSX, my opinion is that black is the only color since Honda botched the other choices by making the interior 2-tone. Besides, I wouldn't put white carpet in my house, much less my car. In summary, red/black, but paint the roof. Just my opinions.
bill

As a non-owner, but avid admirer of the NSX, I would have to agree with the 1-color owners.
I originally liked the red w/black roof, however upon closer inspection and more sightings, I think I prefer the single color.
It think the 2-tone outer paint scheme gives the car the same look as a convertable. Most convertables have a different color Top than the rest of the car. I prefer the look of all one color.

------------------
Weenie '95 V6 Mustang
Dreams of Future NSX

I gotta admit -- I like the one-color look better, too. But it's rather like asking, what tastes better, pizza with pepperoni, or pizza with mushrooms. They're both pretty damn good.

-Bob ('94 #496)

Another view. Has anyone ever considered, or heard of anyone considering, painting one of the monochromatic cars top black to give it that special F-16 look? If not, then one can assume that the majority prefer the single color look. The primary reason to not paint the black roof is to maintain originality. However, it is an individual choice.

I had a '94 and I got to admit the two tone red and black started to wear kinda thin with me. I agree it made the car look old, but not at the time I bought it. I thought the black roof looked okay but after 5 plus years of ownership I was getting a little tired of the black roof, especially after looking at the targas with a one color scheme. I would like to see the lines of the greenhouse of the car be more evident. That's is one of the reasons I sold it and am now waiting for the 2001 models to come out. I had the black interior and am now opting for the tan interior for a change. Anybody had any problems with the tan interior as far as showing dirt and maintaining it? Do you guys prefer the black or tan color interior better?

In my opinion, 9 times out of 10 all-one-color looks best. A few months ago, I found this interesting red with black top NSX on Ebay:

nsx4.jpg

Personally, I like this look a lot. The wheels were originally all-black. The owner had the outer rims painted body color. The car looks very no-nonsense and race-ready. It's a great extension of the red/black theme of the early NSX's.

------------------
Red (w/ red top) '91. Comptech Supercharger. RM headers. Comptech exhaust. Short ratio gears. Ring and pinion swap. RM racing suspension. 18/17 wheels/tires.

'98 Viper GTS. Red with no stripes. Stock.

I think that picture above of the car that was on ebay to be one of the ugliest NSX's I have ever seen. I guess that is why they have Chocolate and Vanilla.

As for the color of the top, I have owned a '91 Red / Black with the black top and '00 NSX-T Red / Black with the Red top and I am not sure which one I like the looks of better. In my opinion they are both gorgeous.

As a general rule, I like the monochromatic look on cars. I used to think it would better on the NSX until I actually saw one. Now, on the NSX, I think most colors look better with the black roof. That way it accentuates the smooth-flowing lines of the lower body, and creates a canopy look out of the interior space, one that does not disrupt the body lines. DEFINITELY BLACK ROOF LOOKS BETTER.

Only exception would be the darker colors like Midnight Pearl and Brooklands Green Pearl, for which the black roof wouldn't provide much contrast for the interior space. Maybe those color cars should have a white roof.
smile.gif

Back