• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tein S Tech lowering springs installed

Just had Tein S tech lowering springs installed by Autowave.

I measured the ground clearance from the front fender and rear fender before and after, it lowered the car exactly .7inches in front, 1 inch in rear, just as advertised, not .1 inch less or more.

Ride quality is exactly the same as stock, maybe 10% stiffer, very subtle drop, hopefully once the springs fully settles it will be slightly lower, another .3 inch in front would be nice.

Here is another Tein S Tech review:
http://www.g35coupe.net/content.php?review.6

tein-1.jpg

tein-2.jpg

tein-3.jpg

tein-4.jpg

I have had these aftermarket exhaust tips for 6 months, I put the stock oval exhaust back immedaitely after test fitting as they looked really cheesy. There are two bolts connecting tips to exhaust that stick out too much, looks cheap and cheesy.

Mark at Autowave trimmed off the bolts on these exhaust tips, and cut two openings on each tip, I then connect them to the exhaust using clamps, that made them looks perfect from any angle, no bolts or clamps insight, looks just like a full exhaust, I love the new look. Thanks Mark!

This should keep me happy until I pick up the Taitec GT lightweight exhaust.

tein-5.jpg

Last edited:
thank you very much for posting. i am also considering this course to slightly lower my 2002. would you happen to have a side view of your car with the old springs?

thanks,

rk

rk-nsx said:
thank you very much for posting. i am also considering this course to slightly lower my 2002. would you happen to have a side view of your car with the old springs?

thanks,

rk

Sure thing, here are the pics. They would look perfect on 02~05 NSXs, since you start out with much smaller wheel gaps to begain with.

Before:
before.jpg

After:
after.jpg

02 NSX with S Tech springs:
6a662.jpg

nsxsupra,

thanks so much for your reply. this was a decision i was having a difficult time making, but your pictures are exactly what i am looking for.

thanks again,

rk

ssmugen said:
Did you know you have two different exhaust tips? :confused:

I like to be different :D j/K

The pic is just for comparision, I have replaced both stock oval tips with round ones. I really love the new look. This will keep me happy until I replace the stock exhaust with Taitec GT Lightweight.

NSX G-Force said:
It doesn't look much different for .7in drop, but look much lower on 02 model :eek:

yes, the difference is minor, 1inch drop on the rear is nice but .7 on front is not enough, my tires are fairly worn out, I wonder if this have any effect.

It did however took out the lifted effect from changing 15/16 oem wheels to 16/17 oem wheels.

02 model has bigger tires than 94~01 oem tires + rear valence and side step for the lower stance effect:

P215/40 R17 .3inches larger
P255/40 R 17 .4inches larger

nsxsupra said:
02 NSX with S Tech springs:
6a662.jpg

nsxsupra,

Your car looks great! I would guess that your car will lower a little more after the suspension settles.

Do you know if the 02' is experiencing any clearance problems? It almosst looks too low. If not, would you think there would be issues is an 18/19 setup were installed? Thanks.

CerberusM5 said:
nsxsupra,

Do you know if the 02' is experiencing any clearance problems? It almosst looks too low. If not, would you think there would be issues is an 18/19 setup were installed? Thanks.

Thanks, 02s should not have any clearance problems with Tein S Tech. It give the least amount of drop compare to any other springs (Eibach, Tanabe, H&R).

I do not know if it will work with 18/19s. If other springs works, then Tein S Tech should give you even more clearance.

so this mod is real close to just using stock springs and Bilsteins on the lower perch? 7/8 inch drop all around vs. .7" fr and 1" rear (SOS says 1") for these Tein S Tech.

I think I will go with my Bilstein's on the lower perch and stock springs. I should've just bought the H&R coilovers from SOS; if they only called me back sooner, I already bought the Bilsteins!

Sam

sam snead said:
so this mod is real close to just using stock springs and Bilsteins on the lower perch? 7/8 inch drop all around vs. .7" fr and 1" rear (SOS says 1") for these Tein S Tech.

I think I will go with my Bilstein's on the lower perch and stock springs. I should've just bought the H&R coilovers from SOS; if they only called me back sooner, I already bought the Bilsteins!

Sam

yes, it suppose to lower just .7" fr adn 1" rear.

The pics were taken immediately after the installation. It has been two weeks since the installation, the springs seems to settled really nicely. My NSX actually looks much lower now than 2 weeks ago. I almost can't believe the difference it made, especially the side view, just need some H&R spacers two bring out the wheel a bit more and replace the worn out tires :biggrin:

You always use these springs with your Bilsten, I think they will make a great combo, at $175 per set, you can't go wrong, they are a bit lighter than stock springs too.

nsxsupra said:
yes, it suppose to lower just .7" fr adn 1" rear.

The pics were taken immediately after the installation. It has been two weeks since the installation, the springs seems to settled really nicely. My NSX actually looks much lower now than 2 weeks ago. I almost can't believe the difference it made, especially the side view, just need some H&R spacers two bring out the wheel a bit more and replace the worn out tires :biggrin:

You always use these springs with your Bilsten, I think they will make a great combo, at $175 per set, you can't go wrong, they are a bit lighter than stock springs too.

How about updated "settled" pics!?

Shumdit said:
How about updated "settled" pics!?

surething, I will take more pics after I wash the car. Probably next weekend, just spent 2 hours washing/wax Supra. Should also have H&R wheel spacers installed by then.

what kinda $$ are we talking about for installing springs? After the springs, I should allow for about $60 for an alignment, right?
I'm thinking of lowering myself and would love to see your updated pic.
I must admit, I'm a little scared of chewing up tires due to lowering...should the alignment immed afterward keep my tires wearing evenly (if done properly) or is a lowered car doomed to uneven wear. If so, I'll pass on the lowering.

Any words of wisdom are apprec. -RJ

rjp said:
what kinda $$ are we talking about for installing springs? After the springs, I should allow for about $60 for an alignment, right?
I'm thinking of lowering myself and would love to see your updated pic.
I must admit, I'm a little scared of chewing up tires due to lowering...should the alignment immed afterward keep my tires wearing evenly (if done properly) or is a lowered car doomed to uneven wear. If so, I'll pass on the lowering.

Any words of wisdom are apprec. -RJ

RJ,

The install is much more expensive than I had expected at $400, however I am more than happy with the results, can't wait to put on H&R 25mm wheel adaptors.

I have not done the alignment yet, definitely do not have alignment done or take pics immediately after install, wait at least a few weeks for the springs to settle. People with Eaibach springs also said the car usually looks high after install.

After alignment, your tires should wear evenly.

Frankly I wish I had not took the pictures until the springs had settled, taking pics immediately after install was waste of my time and energy.

If I were to do it over agian, I think I would try similar priced Tanabe springs for the weight saving (~10lbs), might be a bit too low for daily driving.

If you don't mind, I'd be interested in your "settled" drop values as well (previously you'd said they dropped .7" in the front and 1.0" in the rear). How much have those values changed? Thanks again, RJ

rjp said:
If you don't mind, I'd be interested in your "settled" drop values as well (previously you'd said they dropped .7" in the front and 1.0" in the rear). How much have those values changed? Thanks again, RJ

Yes, I did measured the gap from fender to ground before, and imeediately after it has been installed, the drop was exactly .7" and 1" in the rear. So maybe the new settled height was just all in my head or the drop is more than advertised.

sam snead said:

Sam

Sam, I thought you already had H&R springs with Bilstein, NO?~!

I actually saw you about a month ago, I was in my wife's TL and tried to get your attention, but you were too busy talking with your wife... your car looks slammed and pretty good with the volks...

My car is sort of finish for modding for this year, will you go to the nsx meet in Dec?? I'm planning to go there, please PM me if you'll be there...

Sorry for being OT, I would also think that if in case that's the ride height you going after, I would say the Bilstein shock route would be much more benefial with the older, more mileage cars. The general consensus is that the aftermarket springs usually comes with more limited suspension travel yet higher spring rate, thus it will deterioate your shocks faster. Then by that time you are supposed to pay the installation again for replacing the blown shocks... This is my reasoning for going after the full coil over suspension instead of other kind. JMHO...

By the way, $400.00 is a little too much for installing lowering springs. But at least you are happy.

Hello F,

You're right, Kevin @ Kansai installed my H&R's and Bilstein's for $175 otd, they did a nice job. But the springs didn't lower the car as much as advertised. I'm very happy with the H&R ride and the quality of the Bilstein shocks, but I wouldn't mind being a little bit lower for looks. I don't think these Teins will work out for me, not low enough.

Performance is a big step up with my new setup. The car feels great with the Michelin Pilots, you remember the tires that the car came on my car?....a big upgrade for sure.

Last edited:
sam snead said:
Hello F,

You're right, Kevin @ Kansai installed my H&R's and Bilstein's for $175 otd.

That is great deal, almost make what I paid $400 for spring installation seems like rip off.

I was quoted $200 for spring installation from Superautobacs, where I purchased the brand new Tein Springs for $175. However I do not want to take chances have someone who are not experienced with NSX.

$300 was closer to what I had in mind, I did not ask for a quote before I dropped off the car, so was a bit shocked when I heard the price. At least the results were perfect. Even at $400 probably still cheaper than what Acura deal would normally charge.

Tein also released a budget ride high adjustable coilover. Type BASIC for $500, I have it on my Supra. A spring/shock combo cost around the same range. Unfortunately they have not yet made one for NSX, otherwise I would of purchased that instead.

Last edited:
Back