• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Temporary operating permit

Hey all,

What's the thing called that you get from the CA DMV to be allowed to drive a vehicle from out of state around so you can get it smogged and registered? I googled "temporary operating permit" but that seems to be only for vehicles that have already failed smog once.

I'm looking for the blue thing that you stick in the back window of a car that doesn't have plates/tags yet.

Go to your local DMV and request for one... If its an out of state transfer with up to date Registeration, you shouldn't need to get a temp permit... Have it smogged, pay the necessary transfer fee as well as bring it to the DMV for visual inspection. There are two types of temp operation... Failed s
Smog and one day permits ..

Also, anyone know of a local place where I can get a front license plate holder?

When I bought my car I didn't have a front plate holder either...So I used velcro on the front plate to pass inspection..Worked like a charm, no problem. I do now however have an sos stealth plate holder.....

When I bought my car I didn't have a front plate holder either...So I used velcro on the front plate to pass inspection..Worked like a charm, no problem. I do now however have an sos stealth plate holder.....

Hmm... any pics of the velcro rig?

Also, I'm a little confused - does the inspection happen after they give you plates? So they give you plates before you've passed inspection? What do they withhold to incentivize you to complete the inspection - tags? The title?

Get it smogged. Go to DMV to turn in paperwork (smog cert, title, and reg app) and they may inspect. Go home with temp tags and wait for plates in the mail is a typical scenario.

Nice. Thanks.

Do the plates come with screws or is that a part I need to get from Acura?

Well probably dosen't apply to you but.....In Jersey you first have to insure the vehicle..you then go to the DMV with proof of insurance and title so you can register it. Upon registration they issue your actual liscence plates at the counter. You then have 14 days to pass inspection.( in Jersey it's a state run station you go to) When you pass inspection you get the colored sticker in the left corner of your windshield. As far as the velcro, you need a few of those velcro on one side and sticker on the other...just affix to the plate and one on the front bumper just before you go into the inspection station. Hope this helps..

This is what I did recently when I purchase my nsx with out of state plate. The owner took the plate so I have no plate on the car. First I insured the car. Then went to DMV to start processing the paper works without having and smog check yet. I ask the person if she can provide me an operating temp permit since I need it to drive the car to get it smog. I paid half of the fee and gave me a 2 month pass. She told me that I need a smog check and an authorize person to verify all vin number on the car to complete the process. So last friday I went back to the DMV with smog check, waiting to get my number to be called (wait time is 1hr none appointment), while waiting I was in the line to get my nsx to verify my vin numbers. That took about 30 mins. When that was done I went back inside and just in time they called my number. I paid the rest of the fee and gave me my plates and stickers.

Yep, I'm all set. I got the front plate holder from SoS and as soon as I get it back from the shop I'm going to the DMV to get it inspected. Hooray!

Back