• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Testing at Mid Ohio...

Acura NSX Reveals its Racing Intentions
July 25, 2013
(Embedded image moved to file: pic29907.jpg)The Acura NSX Prototype
will sport custom livery as it takes to the Mid-Ohio track on August
4, 2013 prior to the Honda Indy 200 IndyCar race.

The Acura NSX Prototype will sport custom livery as it takes to the
Mid-Ohio track on August 4, 2013 prior to the Honda Indy 200 IndyCar
race.

Acura NSX Prototype to Break Cover at Mid-Ohio Track Prior to Honda
Indy 200 IndyCar Race

JUL. 25 - Acura today released an image of a prototype NSX supercar,
announcing that the running prototype will take to the racetrack just
prior to the Honda Indy 200 IndyCar race at Mid-Ohio Sports Car
Course in Lexington, Ohio. The NSX prototype, in custom livery, will
lap the road course in advance of the race on August 4, to be
broadcast live by NBC Sports Network starting at 3 p.m. EDT/12 p.m.
PDT.

"The lap at the Honda Indy 200 will demonstrate that the Acura NSX
development is making good progress," said Chuck Schifsky, manager of
Acura PR. "Developing the NSX as a racecar will ultimately make it a
better road car for our customers."

"Until now, the NSX has only been seen at auto shows in concept
form," adds Sage Marie, senior manager of Auto PR. "This will be the
first time the world will see the NSX turn a wheel in anger. It will
be loud and exciting."

The new NSX, which is scheduled to go on sale in 2015, is being
developed by a global R&D team led by designers and engineers at
Honda R&D Americas, Inc. located in Los Angeles, Calif., and Raymond,
Ohio. Additionally, it was announced in May that the NSX will be
produced at the newly established Performance Manufacturing Center in
Marysville, Ohio.

The prototype model maintains the styling and proportions of the NSX
Concept that debuted at the 2012 North American International Auto
Show in Detroit while packaging the production vehicle's mid-mounted
V-6 engine mated to Acura's innovative new three-motor Sport Hybrid
SH-AWD (Super Handling All Wheel Drive) system.

Tune in to the Honda Indy 200 race on NBC Sports August 4 at 3 p.m.
EDT/12 p.m. PDT to see the Acura NSX Prototype take to the track.

Awesome!

Sweet. Getting psyched over this thing. :)

It would be nice to see this at NSXPO since there will be some of its potential buyers there. Or at least an engineer that could give some detailed specs.

Better Full RES:

Acura-NSX-Prototype-higher-res.jpg

This pic really accentuate the wedge shape and double staggered wheels. I like the teaser shot. If they can exaggerate the wedge look even more in the rear, it would be a homerun!

The prototype also looks like is already very close to production finish...

Thanks for the full res pic

Nice HRE wheels, a fine choice and certainly better than the car show prototype setup.

"HRE produced a set of Competition Series C106 wheels for this prototype"

First mod - paint or plastidip the beak black

Last edited:
Looks pretty nice but I agree the front needs work. They need to let go of the cold and wimpy Mazda-esque smile and let the fiery passion come through more. Something a bit more organic would go long way.

Not as nice as the concept. Looks like they got rid of the hood vents, the mirrors are ugly compared to the concept ones, and it looks like there are standard HIDs rather than the segmented LED headlights. Hopefully they will keep the LEDs. Still, not bad. I'm hoping they go against the trend of huge wheels and go with 18/19" rather than 19/20, but doubt that the engineers could overcome the marketers on that decision.

Not as nice as the concept. Looks like they got rid of the hood vents, the mirrors are ugly compared to the concept ones, and it looks like there are standard HIDs rather than the segmented LED headlights. Hopefully they will keep the LEDs. Still, not bad. I'm hoping they go against the trend of huge wheels and go with 18/19" rather than 19/20, but doubt that the engineers could overcome the marketers on that decision.

Nice catch on the mirrors - they were my favorite part of the new design language. These look terrible!

I'm betting that this is a somewhat disguised car. Look at the graphics and the segmented section on the rear fender above the intake. It looks like they are covering something up to me :rolleyes:

Yeah, they definitely did something weird with the flying buttresses. The front end doesn't look as interesting in a solid color. And the mirrors...a tad pedestrian.

To me this car looks nearly production ready. For a test mule or pre-production model, the visible fit & finish look pretty darn good. I do like how the visible rear portions look wide and aggressive. I

Dear lord that flying buttress rear end view is like looking up the skirt of Scarlett Johansson.
I'm digging that detail.

Last edited:
Please keep in mind that this shot was done with a larger lens from far away, so there is minimal perspective/distortion. A normal camera which would have to be closer would not accentuate the front nose to rear wedge dynamic as shown in this photo.

My only wish is that they can thin out the front dam/nose area as much as possible to elude that R8 comparison and give it that extremely exotic look. Fitting 18 in wheels will of course help this cause. The details of the front bumper will be changed in 2-3 years when a refresh is due if the car is properly addressed.

Also, for comparison:

NSX-Proto_zps2e1c8ac6.jpg

Guys let's remember this is a RACE CAR, not the production car. I'm sure there will be differences in the details. Great to see Peter Cunningham and CT Engineering are already involved in getting this car ready for the race track next year!

I know Honda/Acura has to have heard the R8 comments. I agree need to re think the front end, maybe add a couple inches to the rear.

Please keep in mind that this shot was done with a larger lens from far away, so there is minimal perspective/distortion. A normal camera which would have to be closer would not accentuate the front nose to rear wedge dynamic as shown in this photo.

My only wish is that they can thin out the front dam/nose area as much as possible to elude that R8 comparison and give it that extremely exotic look. Fitting 18 in wheels will of course help this cause. The details of the front bumper will be changed in 2-3 years when a refresh is due if the car is properly addressed.

Also, for comparison:

NSX-Proto_zps2e1c8ac6.jpg
Good post N Spec. First of all I totally agree that they need to thin the front and going with 18s may be a way to do that (keep the 20s in the rear) but I wonder if their is a law that requires that the headlights be placed at a minimum height for visibility and because they have the headlights mounted below the hood, they are limited in how low they can make the front? Secondly, these pictures provide a good perspective of the emotion that the "face" of the car expresses. The 2002 model is sad (not angry) and the 2015 model is happy. What is this Lightning McQueen from Cars? I would like to see them come out with a car with some attitude. How about a little rage? The new Vette is a good example of the fierce emotion that the front end should exude. Come on Honda, let go of the Transformers thing!

Back