• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

That little center speaker thing......

I'm planning on an aftermarket speaker upgrade in the near future (doors and sub).

I'll probably ask the installer to run a wire from that little center speaker up to the dash area and terminate it with a mini-plug so I can use it to better hear the radar detector while the stereo is cranking. ;) It could then also be used as a dedicated cell phone speaker or plug into a mini-cassette recorder for those of you that might need to listen to things recorded at the office.

I'm just full of bright ideas today. :)

Brian2by2

I had the same problem and just got my stock subwoofer back from being rebuilt and it actually doesn't sound all that bad for such a little speaker. I had soundrepair.com, formerly boserepair.com, fix it for $75. They give you a 3 year warranty, pretty quick turnaround, and they are located in Florida.

It will save you the trouble of having to build or buy a sub enclosure to fit in the space, plus the cost of upgrading everything.

There is not much reason to even mess with the little center speaker. It runs off the same amp that powers the Sub so you can get access to its wires there.

To get to it you need to remove the trim below the rear window, the two trim panels behind the seats, these just pull off. Remove the arm rest, 4 screws under a lift out cover inside. With this all done I think there are 5 screws that hold the pod that the center speaker is in.

Last edited:
Be sure the center speaker is really broken. It doesn't output sound like the door speakers. I have to put my ear down to it to actually hear sound coming from it. I think it adds 'balance' to the left and right door speakers, but it sure doesn't seem to add much.

Back