• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The candle that burns twice as bright lasts 1/2 as long

Originally posted by DanO:
Too bad the city didn’t have the corner flagstand staffed so that the corner worker could have given you a waiving yellow warning you of the road hazard. :;

The waving yellow flag is for hazards from other cars. The flag that would be used for a road hazard such as a slippery surface is a flag that has vertical red and yellow stripes.
tongue.gif

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Or, that if there are sharp turns, that those are marked with warning signs with posted limits for the turns.

Are you speaking of the yellow colored signs that are posted under a corner arrow sign? Is the number posted on such a sign a Speed Limit? Could one be ticketed for exceeding that speed in a corner even if there is no accident? I always have thought that such a sign was a suggested speed and not a maximum speed.

Originally posted by DanO:
I guess my point is that these “unlucky” road conditions are quite common and that we should all remember how fast things can change on the roads and the consequences of losing control of our 3000lb vehicles.

This is something that too few ppl keep in mind, unfortunately.

Gene, glad you made it out okay, and that no one got hurt.

Your accident reminds me of an incident I had. I was driving a lowly import 155HP sports car years back, w/ automatic transmission. The weather conditions were clear and sunny, after a very light shower had occurred. I stopped at a red light, and then proceeded to turn right. I think I stepped too hard on the gas or something, and the whole car began to slide sideways. I ended up 90 degrees on the incoming traffic's left turn lane. Fortunately there weren't much traffic so my car didn't hit anything or anyone.

I learned a huge lesson there, that even a lowly "sports" car can be dangerous if you don't know the limits of your car.

Also, the most dangerous conditions of the road is right at the beginning of a storm, or when a light shower has occurred, as was my case. The rain just mixes with the oil and other contaminants on the road, and creates a really slick and slippery surface. So it is imperative that you slow down at the beginning of a shower, when the roads are the slickest.

Whenever I get my next sports car, I'm going to enroll in a racing school to hone my emergency handling skills. Too bad not everyone can afford these courses.

Slightly off topic - the depths of the discussion and analysis in this thread is really quite impressive. You guys really know what you are talking about. A true definition of "enthusiast".

Safe driving and happy Thanksgiving!

Originally posted by steveny:
Are you speaking of the yellow colored signs that are posted under a corner arrow sign?

Yes.

Is the number posted on such a sign a Speed Limit?

Yes.

Could one be ticketed for exceeding that speed in a corner even if there is no accident?

Yes.

I always have thought that such a sign was a suggested speed and not a maximum speed.

No.

However, while you could be ticketed for exceeding the speed assigned to a curve, this is rarely enforced - probably because most folks slow down going through a curve, as well as providing reduced visibility of traffic for the officer running the speed trap.

Back