• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The candle that burns twice as bright lasts 1/2 as long

Originally posted by BadCarma:
guys I really dont want to be a jerk but the guy just totaled his car and is lucky to be alive and some of you are swooping in like vultures already hitting him up for salvage parts.think about it.flame all you want..i dont care
david

Does this sound like vultures?
If you successfully buy the car back and want to sell some of the shiny new bits, drop me a line.(posted by Reason)
Well, If any of the parts are ok, i might be interested in buying some and helping you get the new car!(posted by NetViper)

It sounds to me like these guys wanted to help, not swoop.

Vultures... come on, give me a break.

Anyway, Wow.. I am glad to see you are ok after looking at those pics!

I am also curious why you are not going to replace it with another NSX? Would a 911TT hold up as well if the same thing happened?

Originally posted by BadCarma:
guys I really dont want to be a jerk but the guy just totaled his car and is lucky to be alive and some of you are swooping in like vultures already hitting him up for salvage parts.think about it.flame all you want..i dont care
david

First, I am glad the driver is not injured at all. I almost posted asking for the driver's side window regulator as a joke but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate.
I was once seriously injured in a car accident and months later someone called me at home asking to buy the car. I slammed the phone in his face.

...is fishtailing the most common cause of lost of control? and does it occur because the nsx is a rear-wheel drive and not a forward-wheel drive?

Spider,

It seems to me that a lot of NSX accidents are due to slippery road conditions where there's rain, water, snow, etc.

Mid-engine cars, like the NSX do have a tendency to catch drivers this way, and in general with trailing throttle oversteer (TTO) problems (i.e. lifting off the throttle abruptly in mid-turn).

PS: Glad to hear the driver wasn't hurt.

-Jim

NSX Engine for Sale...

http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum18/HTML/000829.html

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 27 October 2002).]

I think the NSX does pretty well on wet roads... as long as there is plenty of tread on the tires. When the tires are worn, though - even before the treadwear indicator bars are flat across - traction on wet roads can be a serious problem.

I think the problem is that the NSX handles so well on dry roads, that people forget how touchy it can be on wet or slippery roads.

Mid-engine cars are inherently less forgiving on such roads even with good rubber. All it takes is a bit of extra speed and a lift-off of the throttle.

I just did a quick search and managed to find a number of unfortunate incidents.

It doesn't hurt to be extra cautious if you should drive your NSX in wet or slippery conditions.

http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001874.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003387.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004069.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000813.html
http://www.nsxsc.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000271.html

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 27 October 2002).]

WOW! You guys are great. Thanks again for all the support. By the way, I take no offence by the interest in parts. Judging by the way I think the insurance may go, there may be a garage sale soon. I'll keep you posted. To answer a few questions though:

First off, thanks to John Richards for giving me the "what for" on what to do with the car now. He was in a similar situation.

JoeSchmoe- Yes, it is a wierd drive through garage. The previous owner/builder of the house was a bid of an odd ball. Now that I think about it I bought the house, I guess I fall into the same catagory.

NSXtasy- I already took scene measuments and photos (I recommend all in an accident to do the same, the police do a half-ass job). The primary cause of the accident was clearly the city for improper maintenance of the irrigation/drainage system. Legally, "but for" the water, this accident would have never happened. It's not that water in and of itself is dangerous i.e. rain, it was that all the roads were dry, and there was water on one small area (wrong place, wrong time). Vehicle code violation 22350 (unsafe speed for prevailing conditions) does not apply due to the fact that this water was an unforseable condition, and could not be visualized in time due to the road configuration and line of site. In fact, I have testified on cases where the state highway's drainage system failed, resulting in several accident (with multi-million dollar awards).

Joel- Yes! "In the blink of an eye." I've always known that this life is transient at best, and live accordingly. This really could have turned out a lot worse for me and my family. In all honesty your post pointed out the greatest lesson out of this whole ordeal, and the one I'm still coming to terms with.

D'Ecosse- I'm most likely going to get another NSX (too much $ invested into parts), but look into the 996TT.

TheSwishh- Only one of your old rims were left untouched. Maybe 19" next....do you know anybody that has them??????

NSXAholic- Yes the airbag did deploy, but it really made no difference in regard to injury, due to the PDOF (principle direction of force). Interestingly, the airbag deploment didn't interfere much with the ability to drive the vehicle.

Thanks again for all the kind words. I'll keep you posted with the insurance/parts/new NSX/996TT stuff to follow. It really is a privilege to be part of such a great community.

While we're on the subjest of safety, does anyone know how NSXs fare in track type accidents or rollovers? 3,100 pounds of aluminum in such a small package should do something for strength. Also, I always worry about cars where your head is so close to the side roof tumblehome and window. The pre-c5 Vettes were the worst with a metal bar inches from your head. Always wondered if that was the reason I've seen them listed as having the highest fatality rates.

emvanderpol

I'm very sorry to hear about your accident. Seeing the pictures I am also glad to hear/read that you came out of it ok. Hope you will have another NSX very quickly.

Where I live it rains quite often and I am always trying to be extra careful and extra alert for my tail to come out. It can happen very quick. I've spinned my car three times now but luckily always on the track without any damage.

Good luck and take car

really glad to hear youre ok. always enjoyed your posts/contributions...

ive spun before based on stupidity, not act of God. The only act of God involved was my making it out without a scratch to me or my nsx. glad you made it through the accident safely.

are you looking for another nsx??? I've considered upgrading my 91 coupe for a targa. best wishes....

emvanderpol,

Sorry to hear about this. I am sure your next ride will make up for it. I would not suggest playing the lottery any time soon. Sounds like you used a few "tokens" on this one
smile.gif

Really glad you are OK. I am sure you have a different perspective on things now. I know this really made me think twice.

Good luck with insurance, etc. Get another NSX!!

LarryB

JSecrest

In regard to the structural integrity of the NSX, what you want for occupant safety is NOT a strong car, but a linearly malable car. A strong car will not deform, and therefore impart all/most of the impacts energy on the occupant, i.e. greater "damage" to the occupant, but less damage to the vehicle. If your in a malable vehicle, then the structure will deform (therefore absorbing the energy) and there will be less available to injure the occupant; more vehicle damage, but less injury. Its the same concept behind crumple zones. Notably, take a look at the first picture showing the seat's head-rest and how close it came to the rooflines indentation where the tree struck.

Hope this sheds a little light on the subject.

[This message has been edited by emvanderpol (edited 29 October 2002).]

Emvanderpol,
I'm glad to hear that you have narrowly escaped what could have been a very tragic incident. I have always thought from your avitar that you had a yellow nsx, but looking at the pics that car looks identical to mine, except for the damage. Hope you get another nsx.

Paul

Originally posted by emvanderpol:
The primary cause of the accident was clearly the city for improper maintenance of the irrigation/drainage system. Legally, "but for" the water, this accident would have never happened. It's not that water in and of itself is dangerous i.e. rain, it was that all the roads were dry, and there was water on one small area (wrong place, wrong time). Vehicle code violation 22350 (unsafe speed for prevailing conditions) does not apply due to the fact that this water was an unforseable condition, and could not be visualized in time due to the road configuration and line of site.

Hmmm... I assume that this occurred in a populated area (since sprinklers are rarely installed in rural areas). And in a populated area, I would think that it is the driver's responsibility to be prepared for unforeseen conditions that may be just around the bend - children playing, pedestrians, and yes, sprinkler systems. If such conditions "could not be visualized in time due to the road configuration and line of site", then I would also think it's the driver's responsibility to drive slow enough that, if such conditions are encountered suddenly, he has time to stop his car. While I am not an "accident reconstructionist", I am also not a professional witness for claimants in civil litigation; I have no stake in this matter. As an unbiased observer, and based on the description presented here, it appears to me that this was caused by driver error.

Of course, it is strictly academic and does not matter to either of us, because your insurance company will be paying the bill and deciding whether or not to go after the city for damages. And again, what really matters is that no one was hurt.

my wife and i are grateful you made it out of this accident ok.

and, no, i don't need any parts...
biggrin.gif

good luck with the hassles you'll be going through with insurance, etc and hope you are back in the left seat of your next NSX soon!

------------------
Kaye & Trish
1998 NSX-T #176
Red/Tan
No mods...
NSXCA #108

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Hmmm... I assume that this occurred in a populated area (since sprinklers are rarely installed in rural areas). And in a populated area, I would think that it is the driver's responsibility to be prepared for unforeseen conditions that may be just around the bend - children playing, pedestrians, and yes, sprinkler systems. If such conditions "could not be visualized in time due to the road configuration and line of site", then I would also think it's the driver's responsibility to drive slow enough that, if such conditions are encountered suddenly, he has time to stop his car. While I am not an "accident reconstructionist", I am also not a professional witness for claimants in civil litigation; I have no stake in this matter. As an unbiased observer, and based on the description presented here, it appears to me that this was caused by driver error.

Of course, it is strictly academic and does not matter to either of us, because your insurance company will be paying the bill and deciding whether or not to go after the city for damages. And again, what really matters is that no one was hurt.

Wow! You bring up several good points. However, for reference it was a 55mph three (3) lane highway. Available line of site was approximately 165 feet. At 55mph (80.7 ft/sec) and 1.5 second perception/reaction (p/r) time you will have travelled 121 feet before you initiate any form of braking/swerving/accelerating. Total travel distance (p/r + brake activation + skid/abs distance) to stop would be approximately 296.4 feet, or 131.4 feet beyond the water/hazard or, god forbid, a child. Unfortunately it is not humanly possible to avoid the "hazard".

Assuming ideal conditions, i.e. p/r & optimal braking, you would have slowed to 48.8 mph by the time of contact with the "hazard".

Q: How does one prepare for an "unforseen" condition.

A: You can't. "Safe and Prudent" is the rule of thumb. Not all accidents can be avoided, they only can be reduced.

Sorry for the banter. After reviewing some 3,000 + 1(mine) accidents, this is what happens.

Gene

Total travel distance (p/r + brake activation + skid/abs distance) to stop would be approximately 296.4 feet, or 131.4 feet beyond the water/hazard or, god forbid, a child. Unfortunately it is not humanly possible to avoid the "hazard".

Ummm... isn't it humanly possible to travel slower than the posted speed limit? Isn't the speed limit a maximum speed, conditions and line of sight permitting, rather than a recommended speed?

I'm not trying to blame you for the accident or to give you a hard time about this; I'm just curious about what a reasonable and prudent driver would be expected to do when driving on a stretch of road where visibility is limited by line of sight.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Ummm... isn't it humanly possible to travel slower than the posted speed limit? Isn't the speed limit a maximum speed, conditions and line of sight permitting, rather than a recommended speed?

I'm not trying to blame you for the accident or to give you a hard time about this; I'm just curious about what a reasonable and prudent driver would be expected to do when driving on a stretch of road where visibility is limited by line of sight.

I very much appreciate the perspective, and I don't feel your trying to blame me, barring the "Ummm..." and the sarcasm. In fact, I think it's good to have such open discussion, for the benefit of all members.

To answer you question: Yes, obviously it is "humanly possible" to drive slower than the speed limit; your sarcasm included, but not necessary. You must realize, however, that traffic engineers design these roads (line of site included) with the relative/posted speeds in mind. Ideally, it would be nice if every situation could be "forseable," unfortunately, this does not comply with reality. Again, reasonable and prudent is the key. Look at the facts: 55mph posted speed, three lane highway, no traffic in front of me, dry, clear, and in the #1 lane (center most/fastest). Any forseable hazards?

To drive so that you could "stop" (per your post) before the hazard, you would have to be traveling less than 36 mph. However, by doing that, you become a hazard.

Also, take into consideration, that the city engineers took great lengths to mitigate water on the road, by the fact that there were five (5) drains set in the curb to the left of the #1 lane(in the island) right next to the water. Apparently not fuctioning. You do the math.

I do appreciate your post, but please, there is no need for sarcasm.

Thanks,
Gene

Hey Gene,
I am just glad you are ok and hope everything works out for you. Its sad that accidents happen to the nicest people, Gene is one of the coolest SD NSX owners. But while you are taking care of your car, if you feel like driving an NSX just let me know, its a little slower than what you're used to though.
biggrin.gif

David

I think it's good to have such open discussion, for the benefit of all members.

Yes, it is. And you have a lot of insight that others do not, into the design of roads and the circumstances under which things occur. Most fascinating. For example, you mentioned:

You must realize, however, that traffic engineers design these roads (line of site included) with the relative/posted speeds in mind.

I always assumed that the traffic engineers designed a road to be a given type of road (anything from a multi-lane limited-access highway to a two-lane road lined with businesses and residences, etc), but that the posted speeds were assigned later, after the road was completed, sometimes based on traffic surveys.

BTW, it's extremely difficult to visualize many situations based on a verbal description. For example, I'm not sure how sharp a turn a given number of feet is; I would think that a three-lane (each way, I assume) highway marked for 55 mph would be mostly straight and would only have gradual, broad, sweeping turns, not sharp turns. Or, that if there are sharp turns, that those are marked with warning signs with posted limits for the turns. In any case, without actually seeing the turn, it's very hard to judge whether a given speed is appropriate or not.

I assume that on roads where hazards are known to occur - sharp turns, slippery conditions, deaf children playing - there are standards which determine whether warning signs should be posted, and whether or not they are accompanied by explicit, lower speed limits for the hazard. Whether such warning signs were missing but would be appropriate at the location of your accident - either due to the turn or the sprinkler system (which one would assume is used regularly), again, it's hard to say without being there. Also, it sounds from your description of improper drainage that the resulting water situation was highly unusual (possible pooling causing hydroplaning?). So again, an accident like this could be due to a combination and confluence of factors - sprinkler system, inoperable drainage, poor line of sight, inadequate warning signs, speed traveled, etc - such that had any one of these conditions NOT been present, the accident would not have occurred. I assume that, when that's the case, all of the relevant factors are mentioned, rather than claiming that a single cause was entirely responsible. (Like Dusty Baker's selection of a relief pitcher in one game was not the entire cause of the Giants's loss in the World Series.)

barring the "Ummm..." and the sarcasm.

To answer you question: Yes, obviously it is "humanly possible" to drive slower than the speed limit; your sarcasm included, but not necessary.

I do appreciate your post, but please, there is no need for sarcasm.

I apologize for the sarcasm. (I'm not sure whether I need to apologize three times, however.
wink.gif
)

Given additional thought, I realize that your use of the term "humanly possible" is probably a technical term in the professional accident reconstruction field, as well as possibly in the legal deliberations which it supports. I repeated that term because, to this layman, its original usage sounded a bit sarcastic itself, and it is sometimes appropriate, when disagreeing with an opinion that is expressed sarcastically, to refute the argument while using the same terminology, to show that perhaps the original allegations might not have been so certain as to justify that initial sarcasm. Unfortunately, this occurs all too often in these electronic media, where a statement can be made beginning with self-righteous words such as "I certainly don't see how anyone can construe..." that objects to something that turns out to have a simple, legitimate explanation, hence the appropriateness of the same sarcastic expression in refuting the argument. I know, this is rather a long way of accompanying my apology with an explanation, but sometimes people here misconstrue things - misconstrue statements as falsehoods, technical jargon as sarcasm, knowledge as arrogance, etc. We will rarely go wrong if we assume that bad intentions were not originally intended at all.

Again, all very interesting - thanks for your insight. Best of luck with the insurance company and with finding as much enjoyment from your next car as you have experienced with your NSX.

Hi emvanderpol and every body,

I'm happy too for your health and hope you will soon have a blast in your new sportscar whatever it will be.

What was your speed in that turn?

But more important, as I consider that WE KNOW what we can do or not with our NSX and considering our own driving skills, do you have the deep feeling that you did not make a driving mistake and believe that accident was unavoidable due to road hazard?

I would have the tendency to trust what you deeply feel...

Do you now have a more precise idea of your next car?

Thank you for sharing with us your slice of life...

Back