• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Heroic Japanese Nuclear Power Plant Workers

Slightly off topic, but my wife made an excellent point the other night that I never thought of. Anyone notice there was no looting, violence ect. like there probably would be here. It just amazes me how different cultures react to catastrophic situations. Back on topic, I agree with the OP. They clearly have health issues in their future but but still continue to save the lives of others.

Having had the honor of living with a Japanese family while studying at a Japanese university for 6 months in the 90's.... I'm not shocked or surprised. Japan ain't perfect (what nation is?) but her people are strong & feel a desire to put the needs of the group ahead of the individual. I'm sure as time goes on that dynamic will get strained but this is a nation that rose from utter destruction in 1945 to be an economic powerhouse in less than 50 years. I believe Japan can & will rebound again.

May God bless a nation and her people who were once our most vilified enemy. I pray for Japan.

That is not even a little bit funny:mad:. How can you make fun of a situation like this. I like to have fun here on Prime too but would never cross that line.

I chuckled a little.

Hey guys, im 250 miles away from all the horrific things going on here in Japan. This if by far, the worse tragedy ive ever seen. I was in northridge eartequake, San Diego wild fire, Katrina, and Gulf of Mexico oil spill. Theres 4 combinations of tragedy happening at the same time. Earthquake, Tsunami, Radiation fall out, and the bitter cold. If all the 800 Japanese workers were asked to stay, they would. Rescue is hard to conduct with all the obstacles in place. Its hard to paint the faces of Japanese during this tragedy but they are cool, calm, and collective. Hundreds of miles away, they conserve what they have to support those in need. From street lights, electricity, gas, food, water. The all are heroes. Its funny how this could be a big opportunity back in the states for looters to enjoy, but here, they wouldnt even touch wood from the rubble to make fire. If its not theirs, they dont touch it, at all. Very sensitive topic, but they all are heroes.

Yes, they certainly have my respect.

The family members from the power plant workers are starting to speak. I liked the commentary from one guy "My Dad is pretty much useless at home, but he is certainly a hero to all of us...." or something like that :redface:

They petitioned the older workers stay, as any radiation damage will take years to manifest as opposed to a younger worker where it would lead to terminal cancer at an early age.

These workers are certainly better equipped with radiation dosimeters and knowledge than the poor responders at Chernobyl were. It appears as if they're knowledgeable about the hot spots and trying to rotate through to limit stay times. If they have an electronic dosimeter (probably do), they can monitor their doses in real time. Anytime US workers go into a radiological area, they must use those too.

There may be a chance they won't receive a lethal dose then. The most likely dose they would get then would be through inhalation... and it also sounded like most had self contained breathing aparatii.

Still not looking good though.

And certainly on a lesser note, this is terrible for the nuclear industry. It's pretty much guaranteed the death of any nuclear renaissance. The four new reactors currently being built here in the US will probably be put on hold for awhile.

Dave

I think quite a few people have noticed that. Read an article that was on Drudge linked from the UK Telegraph about it as well. Where Europe and the US population would see rampant looting, there just isn't/wasn't any in Japan.

Here's the article: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100079703/why-is-there-no-looting-in-japan/

Saw a story on NHK yesterday where one noodle shop was serving free noodles to those that were hungry. The owner's house was swept away and he had been staying at a shelter.

The world would be a better place if people were less greedy. I don't find it hard to believe that the Japanese people aren't looting from eachother. I know respect is a major part of the japanese culture and I don't think looting during tough times would bring much respect or honor to your family if caught.

Interesting quote from a related article from this link.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100080291/why-the-japanese-behave-better-than-westerners/#

"...former resident Thomas Lifson at the American Thinker offers some interesting insights. As he writes:

Perhaps more successfully than any other people of the world, the Japanese have evolved a social system capable of ensuring order and good behavior. The vast reservoir of social strength brought Japan through the devastation of World War II, compared to which even the massive problems currently afflicting it, are relatively small. Japan has sustained a major blow, but its robust social order will endure, and ultimately thrive.

But why is this? He offers some basic points, the first of which is that Japanese life is settled. Recalling a conversation with a Japanese business executive, Lifson recalls:

“Japanese people,” he told me, “are like passengers on a cruise ship. They know that they are stuck with the same people around them for the foreseeable future, so they are polite, and behave in ways that don’t make enemies, and keep everything on a friendly and gracious basis.”

“Americans,” he said, “are like ferryboat passengers. They know that at the end of a short voyage they will get off and may never see each other again. So if they push ahead of others to get off first, there are no real consequences to face. It is every man for himself.”

This is what i heard from someone, dont know if is true or not. Japan secretly producing nuclear weapons, they reject others to go in there to help. Hero or No Hero???

Incredible reading stories like that.

Somehow it doesn't seem like my ten bucks to Red Cross is enough.

BTW I thought the "union" joke was pretty darn witty. Thanks for the laugh.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but just inline with how amazing the Japanese people are, just check out this earthquake damaged road that was fixed in 6 days

http://jalopnik.com/#!5785281/japan-fixed-this-quake+damaged-road-in-just-six-days

if anything, this quake shined further light of admiration for the Japanese.

The point mentioned about there being no looting, is just amazing, and I'm frankly surprised how even I missed that. Hats off for the Japanese civilization, they made all mankind proud.

I feel sorry for people in Japan still bad situation hope it finish soon, to began live "normally" lives.Very brave and unselfish all respect to honest Japanes people.

Back