• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The infamous newb cannon kit

Yes, spelled correctly. Now we know that the heat is to be collected (sink) rather than synchronized (sync). :p

As for the heat sink itself, I dunno. I think you might be making a mountain out of a molehill. I think you'd be better off setting a hose near it to blow over it if you're truly concerned, or getting a liquid-cooled wastegate as F0oBot suggested. What's pictured doesn't look like it belongs on an NSX to me. $.02

If you think that is mickey mouse then, I guess you haven't been following the other stuff I have done.. Lol

honestly tho, why water cool on a remote setup :confused: that's pretty much just dumb. Say what you want about my lack of craftsmanship and my bush league-ness but this is a solid copper core heat sink; it will work much better and less danger of a water line breaking not to mention adding additional heat to the system.

My wastegate goes back into the muffler, so there is additional heat. Also, the design of the wastegate is lacking sufficient aluminum to dissipate the heat to my liking.

- - - Updated - - -

It's in a spot that is impossible to see.

- - - Updated - - -

That heat sink looks terrible, in all my years of building turbo systems I've never seen something so mickey mouse. If heat is a concern (which it shouldn't be) pay the proper money and get a watercooled wastegate from a reliable builder. Unless you track the car, or spend minutes under WOT, the waste gate alone without liquid cooling will do the job well.

When you say building do you mean build or just buy. Build as in from scratch?

Last edited:
I'm a fabricator as a means to pay for my addiction to motorsports at a dedicated speed shop that specializes in Evo's and a Software Consultant by day. I've been making parts for the last 7 years and I've never seen something like that on a wastegate...I'm not saying you need water cooling, I'm saying if you want to cool the wastegate that is what is the industry standard and track proven, if you need further cooling there are wastegates with heat sinks to additionally transfer heat to the coolant system that are also track proven. I wouldn't worry until you find you need additional wastegate cooling because chances are you won't.

I think in general your design is not bad, it will work, and I'm sure you'll wind up fixing things down the line such as intercooler and wastegate placement when you see the impact they have especially if you plan to solo the car.

Here is a recent piece I made for a 4G63 to show I'm not talking out of my arse:

9a3e4epe.jpg

Best of luck.

I'm a fabricator as a means to pay for my addiction to motorsports at a dedicated speed shop that specializes in Evo's and a Software Consultant by day. I've been making parts for the last 7 years and I've never seen something like that on a wastegate...I'm not saying you need water cooling, I'm saying if you want to cool the wastegate that is what is the industry standard and track proven, if you need further cooling there are wastegates with heat sinks to additionally transfer heat to the coolant system that are also track proven. I wouldn't worry until you find you need additional wastegate cooling because chances are you won't.

I think in general your design is not bad, it will work, and I'm sure you'll wind up fixing things down the line such as intercooler and wastegate placement when you see the impact they have especially if you plan to solo the car.

Here is a recent piece I made for a 4G63 to show I'm not talking out of my arse:

9a3e4epe.jpg

Best of luck.

Wow you sound more confident about my kit than I am. Thanks for the encouragement. :wink:

As for my wastegate, would you honestly put yours up against mine? Clearly mine with trounce yours in head absorption. Here is the problem, aluminum melts at 1200 degrees, in order to put a heat sink like mine on you need a copper core and not much aluminum can touch otherwise it would warp like crazy. You won't find anything that exists like what I have because mainly waste gates are not made for remote setups.

Send me a wastegate and I will put some acetylene threw yours and mine and see who's lasts longest.

Wow you sound more confident about my kit than I am. Thanks for the encouragement. :wink:

As for my wastegate, would you honestly put yours up against mine? Clearly mine with trounce yours in head absorption. Here is the problem, aluminum melts at 1200 degrees, in order to put a heat sink like mine on you need a copper core and not much aluminum can touch otherwise it would warp like crazy. You won't find anything that exists like what I have because mainly waste gates are not made for remote setups.

Send me a wastegate and I will put some acetylene threw yours and mine and see who's lasts longest.

I will send you a Tial MVS-A when you pay me my cost for it, then you can do what every the hell you want with it :)

Cheers.

BTW your welding is great. Hey, I was thinking last night, do you have any ideas to make it look better?

What about putting an aluminum pipe on top of the head of the wg, then somehow attaching the heatsink to that rather than the strap. I can then drill holes in that and come up with a better mounting system. I should be able to weld pipe on top of the head, ( fit around it, if I can find a similar diameter alum tube which I think I have).

Any ideas?

BTW your welding is great. Hey, I was thinking last night, do you have any ideas to make it look better?

What about putting an aluminum pipe on top of the head of the wg, then somehow attaching the heatsink to that rather than the strap. I can then drill holes in that and come up with a better mounting system. I should be able to weld pipe on top of the head, ( fit around it, if I can find a similar diameter alum tube which I think I have).

Any ideas?

I was thinking about this the other night, over the winter if you want, Im willing to make you a proper y pipe and exhaust from the prototype units you have put together if you're interested. I can have them ceramic coated too.

As far as the wastegate what you are saying is viable, however the heat sink should really be below the aluminum top essentially pulling heat out of it rather than through it which is you have will do, but that would mean a new and longer valve which is out I the picture. I would get some brake ducting and run it to the wastegate if you are set on trying to cool it. Honestly you won't need it ever in my opinion, remote mounting means it will run cooler due to less ambient heat and more tubing to lower gas temps. I strongly recommend discarding the whole heat sink idea all together and revisiting it if you damage a diaphragm from heat down the line, which I have never seen.

I was thinking about this the other night, over the winter if you want, Im willing to make you a proper y pipe and exhaust from the prototype units you have put together if you're interested. I can have them ceramic coated too.

As far as the wastegate what you are saying is viable, however the heat sink should really be below the aluminum top essentially pulling heat out of it rather than through it which is you have will do, but that would mean a new and longer valve which is out I the picture. I would get some brake ducting and run it to the wastegate if you are set on trying to cool it. Honestly you won't need it ever in my opinion, remote mounting means it will run cooler due to less ambient heat and more tubing to lower gas temps. I strongly recommend discarding the whole heat sink idea all together and revisiting it if you damage a diaphragm from heat down the line, which I have never seen.

I would be interested in that. I would like to release a kit that is essentially free to everyone with really detailed instructions on how to build and install it. I could 3d print a few pieces that perhaps could be used as a welding jig that others could print and take to a local welder. We have 3d printers at my work, I think it could be printed in 3 sections that snap together on makerbot. The fully open source DIY kit.

Here's an update on the RJ45 NSX turbo kit.

-80% complete Turbo kit ( Not included or installed but IF you will install it and take me for a drive I will give it up for a song)
- AEM FIC, Injectors, walbro, wideband sensors, AEM truboost controller, AFR guage, 6262 Precision BB turbo. Intercooler & piping, clamps , Steal braided oil lines, oil pump, bungs and attachments. Greddy Bov, huge- 62mm wastegate. I also have a Tien exhaust which is in many pieces that can be part of this kit and a downpipe prototype I have built which can be used for parts. A lot of stainless 304 pipe and mandrel bends.

Apparently the kit never got built.

RJ54's NSX is for sale on Craigslist in Vancouver and the parts are now for sale per the above.

Here's an update on the RJ45 NSX turbo kit.

-80% complete Turbo kit ( Not included or installed but IF you will install it and take me for a drive I will give it up for a song)
- AEM FIC, Injectors, walbro, wideband sensors, AEM truboost controller, AFR guage, 6262 Precision BB turbo. Intercooler & piping, clamps , Steal braided oil lines, oil pump, bungs and attachments. Greddy Bov, huge- 62mm wastegate. I also have a Tien exhaust which is in many pieces that can be part of this kit and a downpipe prototype I have built which can be used for parts. A lot of stainless 304 pipe and mandrel bends.

Apparently the kit never got built.

RJ54's NSX is for sale on Craigslist in Vancouver and the parts are now for sale per the above.

Apparently he stepped into reality. Designing and building kits is much harder than some claim. Also building more than one off things tends to take a different type of person.

Or maybe he did design it. Shipped it to china and is secretly going to mass produce them or have them sold by someone else?! Hmmmmmmm

Back