• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The myth of "a flood of cheap used CTSCs"

Lud

Legendary Member
PrimeAdmin
The myth of

Over the past few months I keep seeing people say something to the effect of: "Because of the BBSC [and/or other new forced induction options], there will soon be a flood of cheap used Comptech superchargers."

I believe this theory is flaws for several reasons. But first, I want to say that the purpose of this is not to put down the BBSC. I have seen this system on several cars and have been impressed by it in a number of ways. As for reliability... time will tell.

Second, I am also not defending the CTSC just because I have one. It is a great product in my opinion and I am very happy with it. But just to be clear - 1) I have no plan to sell my car and 2) If I did sell my car, I would NEVER put it back to stock and try to sell off the parts separately. Almost everything is modified and it would be a nightmare to make it stock again. So I have no reason to try and talk up the used CTSC market.

Let's begin with the main misconception I've heard from people lately. They say either "the BBSC is half the price of the CTSC" or "the CTSC is twice as much as the BBSC." BZZZZTTTT! Try again.

Even when the BBSC was less expensive and the CTSC was more expensive this was not true even if you paid full retail for the CTSC (which not many people did). Now that the price on the BBSC has gone up and the price on the CTSC had gone down, things are even closer. Let's look at the current numbers:

If you want to buy a BBSC right now, it is $6500 + installation. You can go see this price yourself on either www.daliracing.com or www.scienceofspeed.com

We recently saw a vendor say they would sell new 3.0L coupe CTSC superchargers for $7500. Another fairly well known Comptech reseller said he would match that.

So, according to my math, the difference is $1000. Thus, for the majority of owners (3.0L coupes), it is roughly 14% less for a new BBSC vs. a new CTSC.

If the CTSC were twice as expensive as the BBSC it would be $13,000. If the BBSC were half as expensive as the CTSC, it would be $3750.

Installation is pretty comparable for both systems as far as I can tell.

So there it is. Someone buying a new supercharger for their 3.0L coupe faces about a $1000 difference between the two systems. For most people that will probably be some sort of factor in their decision, but I doubt it will be anywhere near the most important factor for most buyers.

More important for me, at least, would be the power band. The power bands from the various forced induction kits are NOT the same. The area under the curve for the type of driving I do most is far more important to me than the peak HP number at redline. Other people who use their car differently probably have different wants.

Probably the biggest "brand" difference is track record (pardon the pun). There are hundreds of CTSCs that have been installed for years. The BBSC and many of the new turbo systems appear to have potential, but the fact is they are not long-term proven yet simply by virtue of the fact that they are new. In fact, all the turbos other than the Bell kit are still one-offs or custom jobs with less than half a dozen of any particular setup installed as far as I know.

Finally, there is the -T issue. The BBSC packaging is nice in that you retain the stock engine cover. The CTSC kit for -T cars is also more expensive due to the need to replace the OEM triangular strut brace. So -T owners have a couple other considerations.

Anyway, all that is for people buying new. If someone already HAS a forced induction system of any kind, it takes a lot more to convince them to SWITCH from one forced induction setup to another than to simply SELECT one over the other if they were starting from scratch. Any marginal gains are much smaller because they are going from one forced induction setup to another. There will also be considerably more labor involved.

The fact is, there are only several hundred NSX CTSCs installed out there. The number of people who find that marginal benefit to be worth the cost and hassle is clearly small. And the number of NSX-Ts with a CTSC switching to BBSC setups simply can't be that large because it's would be a very small subset of an already small group!!

That said, I do know a few people who have switched or are switching. A few, not dozens and certainly not hundreds. Most of those are people who want to build their car up to take a high-boost version of the BBSC. These are not people buying the BBSC because it's a little cheaper, they are people who want 500+ HP and are willing to spend thousands MORE to rebuild their motors to handle it.

Even with all that, only a handfull of used CTSCs have become available and all the ones I know of have sold at about the same price they did before the BBSC or all the new turbos were out there. So I haven't even really seen a dip in the price, much less a crash.

If there was ever going to be a "flood to cheap used CTSC kits", it would have happened after the first round of BBSC installations. That was the best time to switch from a CTSC to a BBSC because the cost was lower and installation was free.

Now that the cost has gone up a bit and installation is no longer included, the cost to swich is considerable and in my opinion the MARGINAL benefit would be fairly small unless you were planning to go all-out and build a 500 HP car. So, given that the "flood" never materialized, I don't see anything that is going to make it happen in the future. None of the turbo kits are likely to even sell as well as the BBSC in my opinion, and if the BBSC didn't induce the flood, I don't see how anything else will.

Of course that's just my opinion.

Lud,

I think your logic is reasonable.

But I do think it's likely that BBSC will be the predominant forced induction product for most NSX owners that do not yet have one of the other systems.

There might be a few that choose to go turbo for any number of reasons, but when it comes down to packaging, all-around performance (and I am talking about the area under the curve type of performance with the newer pop-off), Mark's reputation, reversibility, no distracting "rod-knock" type of noises and of course price, I think the BBSC will be hard to ignore.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Hi Lud,

All good points / I agree there will never be a flood of CompTech superchargers on the market because they haven't sold more then 300 - 400 total (guessing here).

I think many people that spent $11,000 for 70-80 HP may be thinking that the $4,000 to $5,000 difference is worth another 50-60 HP or a different / new solution.

Things will get even more interesting when Gerry's turbo, Larry/ACR's turbo, new Bell TT, FactorX super all hit the market. Also the BBSC system with the aftercooler, blow off valve, and more tweeking/refinements should become an even better value.

There will always be people who want the latest and best and who grow complacent with the status quo. There will also always be people who believe that they are MUCH better off selling their car without the Supercharger then with it as the pool of people who will buy a forced induction car seem to be much smaller then the ones who want stock. The people who do want a forced induction car are only willing to pay pennies on the dollar for the mods. Either way these people can recover a good % of their original investment removing the item and selling it online.

Again - all your points are valid and the CompTech unit has many +'s, yet I do expect there will always be good used ones on the market and the number of used ones will gradually increase and will decrease in value as the cost for new ones has been falling steadily (I personally believe you can buy even better then $7,500 if you work at it). The cost of a used one I would think will never be much more then 50% to an educated buying public because of the wear and tear these parts take and the fact that there is no warranty behind it. So 1/3 to 1/2 of a $7,500 new part is $2475 to $3750. The difference between what previous owners paid and what current owners pay is sunk IMO or worse as many of the kits do not have parts that the newer CompTech kits have.

BTW - If I had an incredible CompTech car like yours I would definately stay put or consider the 9lb kit if you don't allready have it - UNLESS - I was going to sell. Will that stop people from getting the Turbo they REALLY wanted or going for more safe power with the BBSC? That is yet to be seen. It should be fun to see ALL of these at NSXpo and is reason enough to go!!!

Chris has a good comparison site and lots of information here: http://www.scienceofspeed.com/sos_resource/FAQs/NSX/enpp/sc_comparison/

YMMV.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Is the correct comparison (based on relative efficiencies): the CTSC with uprated boost (9 lb) VS. BBSC VS. GMSC ??

We're hearing a lot about ongoing work-in-progress with the BBSC.

Is anyone aware of (besides the high-boost CTSC option) of recent refinements to either the CTSC or GMSC setup ??
- GMSC intercooler ??
- BBSC high-boost (kick in at lower RPM) and BOV ?
- software refinements

#############

Consider moving/mirroring this to the Forced Induction section ??

I do not consider 450+ RWHP "safe" without additional work/upgrades for the car. And even then, that much power really stresses many other drivetrain components. The NSX is not particularly "over engineered" in many areas.

So it is a serious committment to build an NSX with that much power -- it is not for the plug-and-play crowd, no matter how the power is developed or how reliable the forced induction system itself. And I believe the majority of people, as much as they may like the idea of high HP, prefer a plug-and-play solution.

The other turbo kits or enhancements to the BBSC kit will be minor blips in the marketplace I believe, like the high-boost option for the CTSC kit. What I mean by that is that even if one of those things convinces someone to switch, such incidents will be so spread out that it won't really affect supply/demand.

Certainly as they get older the prices will decline as with any other mechanical system. My point was simply that the flood so many people predicted never happened, and I don't see any more heavy rain in the forecast...

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 15 August 2002).]

Lud hit all the points very accurately; however, I'd like to point out another factor to consider, besides the +/- $1000 price difference. I believe a couple of general statements that can be made are "If you track your NSX, you may want to take advantage of the high RPM horsepower potential of the BBSC. If your NSX is a daily driver, perhaps the low end torque of the CTSC is a better fit for you."

I started out with the CTSC 6 PSI unit, installed by Mark Basch. I later upgraded to the 9 PSI unit, again by MB. Since horsepower is addictive, I was very interested in the BBSC when I first learned about it. I was fortunate to be one of the few in Dallas in October 2001 to learn of the BBSC development before its debut. The hook was set.

Like Lud, I really like how the CTSC integrates nicely into the engine compartment of the NSX. It is a very well engineered package. I wasn't thrilled about having to buy a new tri-strut bar just to clear the Whipple blower, but so what. However, I *did* miss my OEM engine cover. The one from Honda looks so much better than what is included in the CTSC kit.

Maintenance on the CTSC is a little challenging when it comes to replacing the belt. Not impossible, but you need to have a little patience when looping the belt around all the pulleys. Also, you have to use a hand-held vacuum pump to extract the blower oil. I spilled blower oil all over my engine a couple of times before I learned a trick. Dummy me.
tongue.gif

Earlier this year, an event crossroads with my NSX made me think about what I wanted to do in the long haul, since at that time the engine had 64k miles on it. With an engine rebuild in the picture, I decided to take advantage of the upper RPM performance advantage that the BBSC offers. Just as Lud pointed out, if the crossroads event did not happen, I would still have the CTSC on my car.

I am one of the 500 HP freaks
eek.gif
that Lud mentions. The engine will have the latest bells and whistles, and from what I can tell emulates the best of both worlds - CTSC's torque plus BBSC's horsepower.

As with anything, there are always compromises. The CTSC was easy to change the air filter but my BBSC will be not so easy since the filter is behind the LR wheel well because of the aftercooler. Replacement of the BBSC belt is easier than that of the CTSC. The blower oil with the BBSC is of a continuous circulating mode vs using a small vacuum pump to suck out the blower oil with the CTSC. Finally, the BBSC allows me to retain the factory engine cover for my targa.

While the BBSC has not been around at the CTSC, the Paxton blower itself is a proven design. Every packager has had their teething problems. The CTSC would pitch belts in the early versions. The BBSC early units had a shaft coupler boo-boo. Both continued to evolve the electronics. In the end, both are (will be) proven to be excellent packages. As posted elsewhere, pick the BBSC or pick the CTSC and be happy with either one.

After being NSX-less for over for months, I will be picking up Saint at MB's shop in Phoenix within the next two weeks. I am fully confident that what I write here will in every way be correct with the car. Listen for the loud "wheeee" on I-10 on my way home.
smile.gif

A final note about pricing of the used CTSC kits. I never posted my CTSC was for sale. By word of mouth, I began receiving private offers to buy my kit. I sold it at a fair and equitable price. That was over two months ago and I continue to receive private offers of the same dollar amount. I agree with Lud's observation - used CTSC kits did not cause their price to drop.

Sorry for this long post, Lud started it.
cool.gif

Originally posted by Lud:
If you want to buy a BBSC right now, it is $6500 + installation. You can go see this price yourself on either www.daliracing.com or www.scienceofspeed.com

We recently saw a vendor say they would sell new 3.0L coupe CTSC superchargers for $7500. Another fairly well known Comptech reseller told me he would match that.

So, according to my math, the difference is $1000.

I thought the BBSC price includes installation, but the CTSC price doesn't...?
confused.gif

The BBSC price included labor by Mark and Nick for the first 30(?) units only (I forget the exact number). That promo is now over.

Hey Lud, feel better after getting that off your chest?
smile.gif

I don't particularly disagree with anything you said, but I would add a few things. A “flood” of used CT units would be a relative thing of course. If there are only a few hundred in circulation (using some else’s estimate since I have no idea) then a few dozen would be pretty significant. If someone came out with a good <$5k installed turbo kit and could get broad exposure to CTSC owners, I think you would see a bunch of swaps (if not a flood). The main reason being the all important area under the curve, which should be far better than even the CTSC with a properly designed turbo.

Do I expect that to happen? No. Just not enough money in it, and the people likely to offer such kits will probably never be able to market them sufficiently to be noticed by most CTSC owners.

Originally posted by matteni:
The cost of a used one I would think will never be much more then 50% to an educated buying public because of the wear and tear these parts take and the fact that there is no warranty behind it. So 1/3 to 1/2 of a $7,500 new part is $2475 to $3750.

Well I have to say you are simply wrong on your estimate of the market price, because the kits ARE selling for far more to educated buyers. I know a couple of the people who bought recently and I can assure you they were very educated about their options. One has owned multiple NSXs.

As Andy said, there is a strong demand... so strong that the kits are sold as soon as someone starts thinking out loud about removing one (which is why you don't see them advertised publically). Since Andy already sold his, AND he's switching to a BBSC, he certainly has no reason to inflate the price.

I haven't seen or heard any indication the market price has or is changing. If someone knows of a few reliable data points to the contrary, let me know. I'm sorry if it's not what you'd like it to be (or think it should be), but that was the entire purpose of my message - to clear up the confusion between what some people think and what is actually going on!

OK. I know Chris sold one less then a month ago on this forum for about $7k and I know 2 sold this week for less <= $5k. Both were sold by ERZ Motors (I believe). One sold on ebay for $4500 and had issues but included headers, exhaust, etc. and the other went for about $5k complete.

It may be that the trend is over and used ones wont come down any more then that - even if you get a 2 year warranty and support for $2500 more.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my post to buy a used CompTech SuperCharger for less then what some people feel the value is. If it makes anyone feel any better that is what I think it is worth and want to spend right now. If I am wrong - I won't get one at that price or will have to spend more / get a newer product. If I didn't think it was a good product I wouldn't be offering what I am or put my engine at risk.

IMO the CompTech unit is like buying a new NSX - still a great product but the value proposition is going down compared to new well engineered products on or soon to be on the market.

Originally posted by Lud:
...I haven't seen or heard any indication the market price has or is changing...

Well, I think it is reasonable to believe that if in fact the commonly available price of a new unit has dropped (I've not heard that disputed, in fact you mention it above) then the value of used ones is likely to fall as well. I also don't think that the timing of the price drops is coincidental, so the introduction of the BBSC and to a lesser degree other options is already having a significant impact. If CT were just a bit bolder they would have dropped their prices while the BBSC was still months away. They of all people would have known to take Mark seriously.

Good discussion!

The different superchargers on the used market will continue to retain their values because demand is high and supply is low. Even as BBSC sales grow, demand for power is still tremendous!

However, as Lud indicates, all three available SC's are much more equivelent price wise. Comptech has recently lowered their CTSC price. CTSC and GMSC can be purchased for about $1500-2000 from ScienceofSpeed above the price of a BBSC.

However, that being said, what is attractive about the BBSC to me is it's current performance and the potential for increased performance. Where the CT and GMSC's have reached near peak efficiency using the current blowers, the BBSC has potential for even greater performance.

The GMSC seems to plateu and loose steam at about 6500k power wise, and the CTSC is limited performance wise by the design of the intake manifold and the requirement to fit under the engine cover.

However, as Lud mentions, the BBSC as sold today is about as far as you would want to take a stock motor. So, at it's current performance offering, you have to be ready to step up to the plate for internal engine work if you want to go further down the supercharger performance lane.

The supercharger smile is worth the cost!

-- Chris ( supercharger-
biggrin.gif
)

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

Hi All-

Very good points indeed. As one of the first low-compression motor / high boost BBSC customers, I think I may have been partially responsible for the “flood of used CTSC’s” rumors!
smile.gif
I have always maintained that to date, the CTSC and BBSC both have their different advantages. I am waiting to see how Andy’s car turns out with the new BOV high boost setup, hoping that this will quench our thirst for low-end grunt. It sounds like it will. Even if this issue and the price difference did not exist, I think that some of the engineering behind the BBSC is superior to everything else on the market. The BBSC uses ABEC grade 3 bearings, which are exponentially more expensive and last longer, standing up to more abuse than the cheaper grade 1 bearings in other kits. Also, the fuel management system is really in a league of its own compared to the competition. Nothing else out there (save a high-dollar standalone system) can read boost off the map sensor. Despite persistent promises and rumors, nobody else except PD Cunningham has an aftercooler- sorry it's not for sale, I asked!
smile.gif

But, like Andy, my decision to go with the BBSC was based on the lucky (or unlucky) timing of needing a motor rebuild, and opting build the motor for increased power. I sold my CTSC for what I believe is the same price everyone else I have heard sold their for, and this was before either the BBSC price increase and the CTSC price decrease. I guess the bottom line is that several hundred units really are not enough to constitute a “market”. The used CTSC price is most likely a function of everyone here knowing what everyone else sold theirs for. Id venture also to say that the vast majority of CTSC kits out there are in the hands of people that are not part of this board, and maybe not even members of the NSXCA. They may not even be aware at this point of the existence of the BBSC/ Larry’s & Gerry’s turbo, the FactorX SC, etc. The CTSC has a great head start in this regard, because they also sell and market directly through Acura dealerships, reaching an entirely different market of buyers. So, to some extent you could logically conclude that CT does not have to compete all that much on price, despite their recent price drop. On the other hand, it’s not such a market with so relatively few cars driving around. I just think we are very lucky to have so many great options given the rarity of our cars!

------------------
All My NSX'es Live in Texas

[This message has been edited by NSXTC (edited 16 August 2002).]

Just a quick question from an earlier post. Does the CTSC make the "rod knock" noise? If so, I have never heard it. What is it?

Here's how I see it.

There are three supercharger options. (Four, if you count the 6 psi CTSC and 9 psi CTSC as two instead of one.) Prices are similar; BBSC is slightly lower, but only by $1500-2000. Power output is similar - maybe 20 hp differences from one option to another, but not 100 hp differences. All are well respected options.

Granted, there are fine points for one over another, but as you can see, they're all fairly similar overall. That being the case, there's no compelling reason for owners of one to suddenly rip it out and change to another. Don't expect a "flood".

If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if the intro of the BBSC actually increases (new) sales of its competitors as well, due to increased publicity resulting in increased consideration of the supercharger option on the part of owners.

OK. I know Chris sold one less then a month ago on this forum for about $7k and I know 2 sold this week for less <= $5k. Both were sold by ERZ Motors (I believe).

I wouldn't consider kits sold from a salvage yard any more indicative of the price for a "nice" kit than the prices on their salvage NSXs are indiciative of the price on a "nice" NSX. Especially when one SC was involved in an engine fire and was a "fixer upper".

Originally posted by TheSwishh:
Just a quick question from an earlier post. Does the CTSC make the "rod knock" noise? If so, I have never heard it. What is it?

Earlier versions of the blower made a noise at idle that sounded like marbles rattling around. Other than annoying, the noise is a normal characteristic of bearing design.

Later units have eliminated this noise completely. You cannot hear anything at idle, except the nice drone of an aftermarket muffler.
smile.gif

Andy's correct and let me qualify my earlier comments.

I've heard several Comptech units make this noise. I understand that it's most likely just an aesthetic thing and it's probably due to clearances/tolerances in the blower. It's really only audible at idle and disappears as soon as you go off idle.

Apparently no harm or damage occurs and as Andy points out Comptech has addressed the problem.

But this might be something for those inclined to buy a used CTSC to be wary of. I found the noise to be fairly annoying.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 16 August 2002).]

The cost of a used one I would think will never be much more then 50% to an educated buying public because of the wear and tear these parts take and the fact that there is no warranty behind it.

Talk to Doug Hayashi about Comptech SC wear and tear. Last time I talked to Larry, he mentioned, the SC is over 5 years old and never had to do anything else other than changing the oil.

And who are better to prove the reliability of NSX parts than Doug?
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 16 August 2002).]

Originally posted by Andrie Hartanto:
Last time I talked to Larry, he mentioned, the SC is over 5 years old and never had to do anything else other than changing the oil.

Larry needs to get his facts straight. Doug debuted The Flamemobile at NSXPO 98, and the CTSC was freshly installed at the time. 2002-1998=four years.

Larry is also mistaken about "never had do do anything". Doug had pulley / belt problems as chronicled in his NSX Files. He also had fuel management problems that were traced to the electronics.

Not slamming CT nor Andrie, but people need to check their data before spouting off w/o correct info. Sheesh.
rolleyes.gif

hi Andy,

thanks for the correction. It might be my mistakes in quoting the 5 years. I just went by my memory. It really not like me, I usually check the facts first, honest!
smile.gif

The Pulley problem, I beleive was installation issue, not the fault of the equipment. As far as belts, it is a wearing item that I believe MB (don't quote me on that
wink.gif
) recommend replacing every 7500 mile?

Initial belt problem on Doug's car was traced to the aluminum mounting plate that retains the pulleys not being perfectly straight.

Whether it was shipped that way or got installed that way, I do not know.

Originally posted by Jimbo:
(snip)I've heard several Comptech units make this noise. I understand that it's most likely just an aesthetic thing and it's probably due to clearances/tolerances in the blower. It's really only audible at idle and disappears as soon as you go off idle.

Apparently no harm or damage occurs and as Andy points out Comptech has addressed the problem.

But this might be something for those inclined to buy a used CTSC to be wary of. I found the noise to be fairly annoying.

Anyone care to comment on the sound the BBSC makes at idle? IMHO, I find the sound (ie. noise) quite annoying (1992 NSX).
Bryan Zublin

Back