• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The myth of "a flood of cheap used CTSCs"

Originally posted by BryanZublin:
Anyone care to comment on the sound the BBSC makes at idle? IMHO, I find the sound (ie. noise) quite annoying (1992 NSX).
Bryan Zublin

I could not stand the sound when I first step into Chris's car. Too loud, and annoying. But that was the first prototype, or beta test, not production.

The last one I heard, was Nick Eustace's car in Hilltop Auto, at the last meet. And it was significantly quieter. Still not as quite as comptech SC, IMHO. When I drove one of my student's car with Comptech SC at the track, I have to really listen to hear them.

If the sound is anything like what I heard at Acura of Brookfield during NSXPO 2001, I can't wait!

As another data point, I had the Cantrell Concepts air scoop (offered by Chris as SoS) with the CTSC on my car. It had a very noticeable whine under throttle, as the screws were meshing.

PS - interesting human trait, thread starts on one topic (used price myth) and morphs into another (SC noise) topic. No wonder we are confused.
tongue.gif

Originally posted by AndyVecsey:
PS - interesting human trait, thread starts on one topic (used price myth) and morphs into another (SC noise) topic. No wonder we are confused.
tongue.gif

And we haven't even mentioned the seats yet!
biggrin.gif

I heard several BBSC cars so far and the noise is much different than the CTSC noise.

It's a slight whooshing noise with the slightest bit of gear type noise as well.

To my ears, it didn't sound objectionable...just slightly "mechanical."

The CTSC noise, on the other hand sounded like a "piston rod knock" noise, or as Andy put it, like someone put marbles in the engine.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

The "marble" sound is apparently a bug/feature of MUCH older CTSCs so that's not a fair comparison against the currently available product. We had a GruppeM, BBSC, and CTSC at our last regional meet. You couldn't hear the CTSC at idle while the BBSC made some minor rattling noises. The GruppeM car's exhaust was so loud you don't hear much else at idle (you know who you are
wink.gif
)

Back