• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

the retail value of a (minor) accident with an NSX

fastaussie

Suspended
just a question to get a general consensus on something. i'm in the market for a 2002+ NSX at the moment, and there are several around the country i'm gonna check out soon. one of those cars has an accident on its history. however the accident in question was someone bumping the car from behind. not enough to do any damage other than chip some paint off the rear bumper. nothing more than that. but when researching the car's history, an accident will come up as it was reported at the time if happened.

would this turn any of you fellas off from buying an otherwise clean, well-maintained car?

do you reckon this is gonna hurt its current and future retail value?

what do you guys think? opinions please...

Last edited:
depends on what a bump is the rear rails have thin tips and any small bump will fold them like in the pic i posted.

now as for resale value, depends on what you get it for. if you get the car for 40K it 10 years it could go for 50K so you made 10K when you sell the car.

the red lines are what the shape should be but as you can see its buckled from a simple bump from the rear.

- - - Updated - - -

2013-11-07_20-42-36_902.jpg

Last edited:
If the damage was just a few paint chips and no more, I wouldn't think it would lower the value significantly. A good ppi would help you sort it out.

If the seller can give you the pic of the minor damage and you really want the car and its a good deal, then by all mean, buy it. That way if u have to sell it down the road, you can show the pic to the potential future buyers to prove its a minor damage. Without the pic, they might not believe u and it can be a headache to sell.

If it were me, i would pass but that's just me. I saw your nsx wanted thread and u said your budget is $55k. For that cash, I would rather buy a no history car.

Last edited:
Does he have records from the service showing exactly what was repaired? That little document will help ease your concerns and help when it comes time to sell.

nothing has been replaced, but I have seen the photos of the underneath similar to Shawn110975 photo, and there is no damage. so that question is answered.

I'm mostly wondering about the retail value of having an accident on the car's history...

Back