• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thinking of replacing rear shafts. What else do I need? What else should be replaced?

The first thing I would caution you on is in the ebay item it does not seem to let you pick right or left. Just for a test I put in QTY 2, and it never asked or linked to a page to pick one of each. The pic shows two different shafts, but it is not clear how to order one of each. They do look like complete assemblies, so theoretically you would not need additional parts. You will need 3 qts of trans fluid, since you need to drain the trans to replace the drivers side axle. What year NSX?

Regards,
LarryB

The first thing I would caution you on is in the ebay item it does not seem to let you pick right or left. Just for a test I put in QTY 2, and it never asked or linked to a page to pick one of each. The pic shows two different shafts, but it is not clear how to order one of each. They do look like complete assemblies, so theoretically you would not need additional parts. You will need 3 qts of trans fluid, since you need to drain the trans to replace the drivers side axle. What year NSX?

Regards,
LarryB

I'm curious to see what he says about installation, etc.
Here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/182001-quot-solidol-quot-94-BB-maintenance-build/page4

Now reading some old thread, Larry you mention people need to be careful with seals when removing the shaft. What seals are they. Any chance of part number?I'll go ahead and replace them.
I'll do CV boots as well and found this part # 42017-SL0-000. Is there any outer boot that needs to be replaced as well?

Last edited:
Might be for a set, which would be a fantastic deal given the cost of the OEM ones.

Yeah, that sounds correct;). I saw the price and thought it was for one, but what you say does make sense. Also I noticed in the bottom of the listing it has two item numbers listed.

Inner and outer CV boots are the same, the number you have above.

You need to be careful on the drivers side. It can be tough to get the axle out of the trans. If you struggle it can ruin the seal on the drivers side.

For seals, if you want to replace both on the trans:

91207-PR8-005 (drivers side)
91206-PR8-005 (passenger side)

When you do the job, the passenger side does not have to be removed, since there is an intermediate shaft between the axle shaft and the trans. So you can replace the drivers side seal only and complete the job, if you want to do both, you will need to remove the intermediate shaft on the passenger side as well.

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
Yeah, that sounds correct;). I saw the price and thought it was for one, but what you say does make sense. Also I noticed in the bottom of the listing it has two item numbers listed.

Inner and outer CV boots are the same, the number you have above.

You need to be careful on the drivers side. It can be tough to get the axle out of the trans. If you struggle it can ruin the seal on the drivers side.

For seals, if you want to replace both on the trans:

91207-PR8-005 (drivers side)
91206-PR8-005 (passenger side)

When you do the job, the passenger side does not have to be removed, since there is an intermediate shaft between the axle shaft and the engine. So you can replace the drivers side seal only and complete the job, if you want to do both, you will need to remove the intermediate shaft on the passenger side as well.

HTH,
LarryB

Ok last thing, if i wanted to replace CV boots on all four corners including inner and outer. Does that mean I need two 42017-SL0-000 per side? One for inner and other for outer? For a total of 8 kits of 42017-SL0-000?

Ok last thing, if i wanted to replace CV boots on all four corners including inner and outer. Does that mean I need two 42017-SL0-000 per side? One for inner and other for outer? For a total of 8 kits of 42017-SL0-000?

Maybe a stupid observation but hopefully you are ordering the replacement CV boots in order to refurbish your old driveshafts? Obviously you do not need them for the new Insane shafts (which are a slightly different design and those boots may not work).

Maybe a stupid observation but hopefully you are ordering the replacement CV boots in order to refurbish your old driveshafts? Obviously you do not need them for the new Insane shafts (which are a slightly different design and those boots may not work).

I have no clue what to order to be honest & I don't know why I was thinking of CV joints in the front.

To clarify, if I order the new shafts, I don't need that CV joint kit?
If I order new shafts, I only need Transmission fluid + seals and nothing else?
Would you guys suggest replacing this 91057-SL0-008 (Half shaft bearing) at the same time as the new drive shafts?

Last month I bought shafts directly from Insane Shafts; total cost for everything $600 (versus $1180 per side OEM).

My mechanic charged $400 for the installation (as I am mechanically declined) and I'm good for another 140,000 miles,

Matt

Glad I asked then. The new shafts will arrive complete and assembled, you will just need to buy the transmission fluid, replacement seals ( just in case you damage one ) and if not supplied with the new shafts you will need two new hub nuts (one each side).
No need to change the bearing if you have no issues with it.

Axle boot kits are for overhauling your own axles. They include the grease, two sealing bands, rubber bellows, hub nut and set ring. Hub nut available on its own by the way.

I have no clue what to order to be honest & I don't know why I was thinking of CV joints in the front.

To clarify, if I order the new shafts, I don't need that CV joint kit?
If I order new shafts, I only need Transmission fluid + seals and nothing else?
Would you guys suggest replacing this 91057-SL0-008 (Half shaft bearing) at the same time as the new drive shafts?

Glad I asked then. The new shafts will arrive complete and assembled, you will just need to buy the transmission fluid, replacement seals ( just in case you damage one ) and if not supplied with the new shafts you will need two new hub nuts (one each side).
No need to change the bearing if you have no issues with it.

Axle boot kits are for overhauling your own axles. They include the grease, two sealing bands, rubber bellows, hub nut and set ring. Hub nut available on its own by the way.

Is this the hub nut I need?
http://www.oemacuraparts.com/acura/...t/driveshaft-scat/?part_name=nut-spindle-26mm
90366-SP0-003

- - - Updated - - -

Last month I bought shafts directly from Insane Shafts; total cost for everything $600 (versus $1180 per side OEM).

My mechanic charged $400 for the installation (as I am mechanically declined) and I'm good for another 140,000 miles,

Matt

Curious if these shafts required any modifications to install or were they a perfect OEM replacement?

Last edited:
I ended up ordering all the clips, bolts, seals for the the half shaft. I am still curious if people actually replace the half shaft bearing when doing putting in new drive shafts.

Hi,

after looking at the image on that ebay listing i must ask:

aren't both NSX shafts almost the same size ??

in the image, they look like a NSX set of shafts but the
bottom one seems a lot longer than the upper.

Nuno

EXCELLENT PRICE! It beats the recent group buy cost here on Prime. I just replaced both shafts on my car with Insane Shafts and they went in beautifully. I also replaced 2 axle bearings, 2 shaft seals, trans oil, and axle nuts (New ones come with Insane Shafts units), and one intermediate shaft bearing. I did this for reliability since I've had the car 17 years and don't want any problems for the next 17. There were no other problem except the CV units wer worn and teh simple rebuild did not last long enough. The group buy offer was substantially lower in cost than the dealership and this offer is even lower in price.

Back