• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Third Brake Light Wiring at Trunk Strut

Have any of you experienced this "clean" break/cut in the third brake light wiring?!

Just noticed it; and there is very little play in the wire's length to start with. The struts were replaced about 2 years ago so not sure if that got damaged in the process and it took this long to show up. But the cut is very clean!

Last edited:
An embarrasing moment in my life: An out of town buyer comes in to buy my 91. We drive it. Everything is great and then, as a result of the recent strut replacement, I discover that the spoiler brake light is in-op. The wire is severed at the strut wire loom.
He was gracious and I did a splice of the wire before his 1800 mile drive home. Yes, it can be a real issue based on the lack of any wiggle room with the wire plus the replacement strut and loom issue.
The struts I got were fine for holding up the trunk lid but they had a slightly different geometry than the originals. The result was the broken wire.

I guess I am not the only one then :wink:

So, where did you splice and add new wiring? Did you totally bypass the strut mount and just zip tied it?

I was fortunate and had just enough room to put in a solderless connector. Stripped the wires and crimped the connector in place. Wire tie to complete the job. The then new owner is a member. Perhaps he'll comment on how it held up and if it needed more attention.

That wire snapped on my 92 recently. Although (obviously) I've had the stays replaced, I think the real cause is that the sleeve plastic stiffens with age and heat. The sleeve on mine is really stiff, barely bends at all, and therefore failed at the flex point.

Fortunately, I caught it before both wires broke, and so far all I've had to do is add a bit of support to the cable. The light still works because it was the ground wire that broke. Eventually I'll have to cut, solder, and shrink-wrap the cable.

Anyone have any idea what the part number is for this cable? The "wire harness" parts diagram is not easy to decipher. I would rather replace than repair if possible.

Anyone have any idea what the part number is for this cable? The "wire harness" parts diagram is not easy to decipher. I would rather replace than repair if possible.
Wow, really? That replacement is a PITA due to the tight spaces. The repair takes only a few minutes; thread on some shrink tube, solder, shrink, done.

Back