• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Group Buy Tilton Engineering Lightweight Flywheels are back

This is a: Third Party Group buy paypal
Minimum Number of Units: 10
Maximum Number of Units: Unlimited
Closing Date: 5/12/2014
Product Will Ship: After the group buy is closed & when flywheels arrive
Deposit: $400 Non refundable deposit* when submitting order, the remaining $400 (and shipping) due before Flywheel(s) ships
Payment Methods Accepted: Paypal, E-Check and Cash (if local). My Paypal is [email protected]
Estimated Delivery Time: Lead time is 8-10 weeks so estimate about 12 weeks depending on where you're located. (international is OK, but will incur all additional shipping costs and
Shipping & Insurance Costs: $25-35

Information;

I am happy to announce the Tilton Engineering Flywheel is back from the dead! After several conversations with my former boss' they agreed to do another run of these wonderfully engineered flywheels for us NSX owners! This product has not been available for many years and may not be available again after this group buy. If you ever wanted to own the lightest single piece, full chromoly NSX flywheel now is your chance.

These flywheels are being made by Tilton, a 100% American company with the highest standards in the industry for drivetrain and brake components.

Along with all of the added benefits of a lightweight flywheel, the Tilton Engineering Flywheel offers these benefits over the competition;

- Weighs a mere 7.8 pounds (the OEM flywheel is 15.5 lbs!)
- Has the lowest MOI (moment of inertia) of any flywheel made for the NSX
- Utilizes the factory twin disc clutch (or any other replacement/ rebuilt clutch assembly) for ease of installation and a great choice for stock or lightly modified NSXs.

Please respond in this thread or PM me with any questions regarding this product and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Your name will appear on the group buy list as soon as I have received your deposit.

Thanks for looking!

-Jon

*non-refundable deposit is only applicable if minimum order is met. If minimum order is not met all funds will be returned promptly

Deposit received:

1. Greenberet

Last edited:
I'm wondering after the group but and a replacement is needed... Will this still be produced or would I have to inquire with tilt on...

I'm wondering after the group but and a replacement is needed... Will this still be produced or would I have to inquire with tilt on...

If the time comes when enough people need replacement flywheels to be able to justify another group buy I can/will do another run

Is there any data to back up the claim of having the lowest MOI of all NSX flywheels? Perhaps something that charts all of the flywheels one can be compared against another?

I have a question that may have been answered previously and if it has my apologizes, but is this flywheel ONLY for stock clutches? It was my impression that most if not all after market clutches come with after market flywheels?

Or could it be installed on the other numerous clutches out there like SOS's, Exedy, Comptech, and the others. I ask because my old exedy carbon carbon came with what they claim to be a lightweight flywheel as well and I believe my rps single disk 6 puck came with one as well.

Is there any data to back up the claim of having the lowest MOI of all NSX flywheels? Perhaps something that charts all of the flywheels one can be compared against another?

There is a very good chart made by Mark Johnson on his site (he developed the flywheel with Tilton) here's the information taken that Mark gathered:

Flywheel OEM \ JUN \ SOS \ Dali Tilton \ Dali Fidanza
Weight (lbs.) 15.50 \ 9.25\ 9.70 \ 7.80 \ 7.50
MOI 280 \ 159 \ N/A \ 126 \ 144

Please note that the Fidanza is the lightest flywheel in that bunch but has a higher MOI than the Tilton unit. The Tilton flywheel has a lower weight and MOI than the JUN flywheel, at the same list price as the JUN you can purchase a Tilton LWFW with the added benefits.

Last edited:
I have a question that may have been answered previously and if it has my apologizes, but is this flywheel ONLY for stock clutches? It was my impression that most if not all after market clutches come with after market flywheels?

Or could it be installed on the other numerous clutches out there like SOS's, Exedy, Comptech, and the others. I ask because my old exedy carbon carbon came with what they claim to be a lightweight flywheel as well and I believe my rps single disk 6 puck came with one as well.

Not a problem to answer this question. This flywheel is designed to work with any clutch that shares the dames dimensions as the OEM unit. Hope that answers your question.

Question... I believe I have one of these in my car as the previous owner made mention of having one from Dali installed. With that said, if I get a new clutch installed, is it possible to reuse the existing flywheel? If not, I'll be looking at getting in on this for my major service this summer.

Question... I believe I have one of these in my car as the previous owner made mention of having one from Dali installed. With that said, if I get a new clutch installed, is it possible to reuse the existing flywheel? If not, I'll be looking at getting in on this for my major service this summer.

Most people will recommend that you replace your flywheel if you're installing a new clutch as you're already there and mating new friction discs to a worn surface can result in premature wear and tear on your new clutches.

The friction surface on the Tilton flywheel cannot be resurfaced as the case used to be with older cars.
I hope this helps

- - - Updated - - -

Most people will recommend that you replace your flywheel if you're installing a new clutch as you're already there and mating new friction discs to a worn surface can result in premature wear and tear on your new clutches.

The friction surface on the Tilton flywheel cannot be resurfaced as the case used to be with older cars.
I hope this helps

Well figure me for one of these at this point then. I need to get into my dealer and have a sit down with the mechanic doing the work to discuss everything that I'm going to need to get together for this major service. This group buy should time in nicely with my scheduling.

I indicated interest in this item in the feeler thread. But because 1) my horsepower level precludes me from continuing to use the OEM clutch and 2) flywheels are not intended to be re-used (making this a consumable that cannot be replaced outside of another group buy), and 3) clutches I'm shopping today come with a flywheel, I have to back out. Sorry.

J

I indicated interest in this item in the feeler thread. But because 1) my horsepower level precludes me from continuing to use the OEM clutch and 2) flywheels are not intended to be re-used (making this a consumable that cannot be replaced outside of another group buy), and 3) clutches I'm shopping today come with a flywheel, I have to back out. Sorry.

J

I understand, thanks for your interest!

At this point I also need to back out after talking with someone familiar with the prior servicing of my car and finding out I probably don't have a lightweight flywheel to begin with.

My only issue with the Group Buy is the availability of the flywheel after the group buy ends. For that reason I will have to pass on the Group Buy as well.

Since Tilton is currently not willing to produce NSX flywheels in batches of one, you've got to order at least five to get production going. If you order five, the price is currently $1000 per flywheel. When producing 10, well, let's just say Track Addict isn't earning any money off this, it's a labor of love.

Personally, I was hoping my NA1 five speed would rev as quickly as my old 911 did when I installed a Comptech Powergrip single disc clutch and aluminum flywheel. Unfortunately, it doesn't. I didn't notice any difference. That's why I want to go back to the OEM twin disc clutch and combine that with a lightweight flywheel.

From what I've read, nothing lasts as long as the OEM clutch so after it's installed, the unit shouldn't need to be touched for a long, long time. Whenever the flywheel needs replacing, hopefully four more people will also want to order one from Tilton. Or maybe someone will have one in stock or maybe Tilton will be willing to manufacture flywheels in batches of one by then. If not, a heaver JUN flywheel or going back to the Comptech Powergrip would be alternatives. Neither of those will let the engine rev as freely as the Tilton would, however.

Last edited:
This setup should last long long time. Then if new flywheel is needed and no tilton around you can always go back to stock. I don't understand the reasoning not to get it just because it may not be available in 10 years. I put SOS clutch in otherwise would totally get this with new oem double disc.

Well figure me for one of these at this point then. I need to get into my dealer and have a sit down with the mechanic doing the work to discuss everything that I'm going to need to get together for this major service. This group buy should time in nicely with my scheduling.

I'd be happy to put your name on the list, once I have received your deposit. Just makes it easier for me to be sure when I order from Tilton.

My only issue with the Group Buy is the availability of the flywheel after the group buy ends. For that reason I will have to pass on the Group Buy as well.

Let me address this concern as it seems to be on many Primers minds;

The reason I stated in the OP that this group buy might be the last time that the Tilton Lightweight Flywheel might be available is that this part has been discontinued for a long time, no other NSX parts shop currently stocks or has decided to purchase enough flywheels to make it worth their time (for their own reasons) at a price that they can make a profit on.

I'm doing this group buy as a favor to all the NSX owners that have wanted this flywheel, but can't justify paying $1000 dollars for one (but having to make a minimum order). I CAN do another group buy in the future, however I am trying to get the flywheel cost down to something NSX owners can afford/ will pay given the current market and available alternatives.

That being said happy to help anyone that has any further questions. Thanks for looking!

My concern would be buying a new OE clutch, which would leave an expensive paper weight (OE flywheel). Would we be able to get a complete clutch and flywheel from tilton?

My concern would be buying a new OE clutch, which would leave an expensive paper weight (OE flywheel). Would we be able to get a complete clutch and flywheel from tilton?

Tilton hasn't made a clutch for the NSX to use with this flywheel, unfortunately. However most Tilton clutches aren't exactly what could be described as "streetable", their stuff is primarily aimed at track only and full on race cars

This might be a silly question as i think i know the answer but can you change the flywheel on the SOS twin plate carbon clutch or is it part of the actual clutch?

So if there is no streetable clutch available from Tilton, is there any clutch available that does not come with a flywheel?

I know you can order new friction discs from Acura to use with your existing pressure plate, bu tI am not sure if you can order the pressure plate new. Please contact your local Acura dealer for more information on the OEM parts availability. as far as other clutches available that have the same build as the OEM I am uncertain at this time, please allow me to look into this further.

The clutch parts Honda / Acura don't seem to sell separately are the flywheel, midplate, and pressure plate. If you no longer have the midplate and pressure plate from your stock twin disc clutch, an easy way to get those parts would be to buy a used clutch.

NSX Prime member kevgk currently has one for sale which he describes as follows:
"Stock clutch fs. Has 29,000 miles great condition no issues never abused lots of life left. Comes off 93 5 spd car. 200 plus shipping." See here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/181485-Stock-clutch-fs

Personally, I'd remove the midplate and pressure plate from the $200 used clutch, buy new friction discs from Honda, and bolt it all to the Tilton flywheel. Then you'd have a clutch that should last a really long time and lets the engine rev freely, like a sports car should.

Back