• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Time to replace Rotors/pads

While getting my major service done on my 98't, I wish i would have ordered headers and had them installed while engine was out...but i have noticed i need new rotors and brakes! any thoughts or suggestions on Rotors and pads? aftermarket or stock? thanks guys!

dlynes said:
While getting my major service done on my 98't, I wish i would have ordered headers and had them installed while engine was out...but i have noticed i need new rotors and brakes! any thoughts or suggestions on Rotors and pads? aftermarket or stock? thanks guys!

Unless you track your car and want to have slotted rotors, I would stick with the stock rotors and stock pads, if you want to go for looks you might try the 2 piece slotted rotors that Dali sells but that will cost you money, either way it's a DIY job so you will save some $$'s if you do it yourself.

Is it alright to resurface the rotors on an NSX? I have been told by some that the rotors should be replaced each time the pads are replaced. Is this true? Also, how much does a brake job cost?

the general concensus is that if you can not feel the ridge at the edge of your rotor, you should be fine with machining the existing rotors. But by my experience, even you can feel the edge, it still doesn't automatically saying your rotor is done-deal. (this one is my own experience, on the nsx, which even the rotor is beaten up with heat stressed crack and a deep edge, the brake still works fine on the street.)

I also just bought the Project mu street pads for steet, it works pretty good and have nice controllable initial bite yet there's virtually no brake dust. However Dali site didn't say it's a 0-400 degree pads, I do kind of worried about the brake fade, but then again, I haven't tried smoking the pad except when I did the bed-in.

JDM_SXE-10 said:
Is it alright to resurface the rotors on an NSX?
Yes. And if the surface is fairly smooth, you don't even need to resurface them at all when you're replacing pads.

JDM_SXE-10 said:
I have been told by some that the rotors should be replaced each time the pads are replaced. Is this true?
No.

JDM_SXE-10 said:
how much does a brake job cost?
Allow an hour for labor for either axle (front brakes OR rear brakes). It may take less, but it may not. Hourly rates vary; around here, independent mechanics are $70-90/hour and dealers are $100-120/hour.

Brake pads that are as good as the stock pads or better generally cost $100-200 per axle.

Unless your rotors are cracked or thinner than the minimum spec, there's no need to replace them.

I've been extremely pleased with the GT Sport brake pads from Cobalt Friction. They have a nice bite, they grip even when heated on the track, they almost never make noise. Highly recommended, for the street as well as the track. But if you never track your car, the stock pads are probably just fine too.

Whatever you do, though, don't go to your neighborhood auto parts store for brake pads for the NSX. The composition of the "generic" pads made for a variety of cars really aren't up to NSX standards. And even if you never PLAN to go very fast, if you buy crappy pads, all you need is one time, and... well, you know. Anyway, get the stock pads, or get premium aftermarket pads that are designed to perform better than stock. Brakes are one place you really don't want to try to save money.

Back