• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

timing belt pdf- alternative to pin punches

First of all, I'd like to thank Gary Kentosh, Larry Bastanza and Prime for the PDF on changing the timing belt and water pump. A simple alternative to the pin punches for locking the camshaft are hex bolts. 5mm- 8 x 50mm are available at Home Depot for 60 cents each. They are 5mm in diameter (threads are 4.9) with a 8mm hex head and 50mm long. I couldn't find the pin punches and didn't like the idea of using drill bits (metal can be brittle and break). Never would have tackled the job if it wasn't for this very informative and detailed PDF. Jeffrey

I also used the excellent Gary Kentosh et al PDF when I did my timing belt 18 months ago, and it was invaluable. Great job, guys!

I used 2 pin punches & 2 drill bits (it's what I had on hand), but placed the shaft end of the drill bits into the cams so there was no chance of the cutting edges coming in contact with the cam or bearing caps and producing metal chips.

I'll have to add your comment on the bolts to my notes for when I do the belt again in another 6 to 8 years.:biggrin:

I also have hit a dead end trying to re-located the PDF. (I admit it - the WIKI conversion has left me mostly baffled.) However, I do have a copy of it, plus my own personal additional notes I made when I did the job on my '96, plus a picture that shows where every bolt goes on the timing belt covers - which helps when you consider how many of the bolts are impossible to see.

PM me with your personal email address and I'll forward you any or all of the above-mentioned documents.

Last edited:
Back