• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Timing belt replaced - still looks good

MvM

Legendary Member
With all the work going on I decided I might as well have the timing belt and waterpump done.
Waterpump was replaced by the newer model with new cover which has a modified water-drain. Pump itself looked fine but the cover did show some minor signs of leakage.
According to the technician who did the job it looked like the timing belt was never changed before. Meaning that it is now 11 years old with about 88000 km / 55000 miles on it.
I will admit I have very very limited knowledge about things like this, to my eyes the belt is still looking very good.
Am still glad I had it done though. Just for my piece of mind.

5180TimingBelt.jpg

I had mine replaced last week. It's a '95 with 56,000 miles and it looks good to me. Still, I'm glad I replaced it. Peace of mind and all that.

DCP06187cs.jpg

Wouldn't it be great if you pulled them off and they looked frayed and ready to break? I'm doing mine this spring and I am sure it will look brand new...to the naked eye...under a microscope or under stress???? Probably not.

You can't check to see if a timing belt is good. Time is more the enemy than mileage on a timing belt. It's just piece of mind to have it changed at the stated factory interval.

If I had a used belt and a new one where you can't tell the difference, which one would you take??? The tension, exposure to the elements and heat cycling all take a toll on a timing belt. Honda used good quality matierials in their timing belts but they'll eventually go. Better not to risk postponing this service only to find out it may cost you up to five times as much should the belt go. Also to note, the belt may not break. The teeth could sheer off which is just as bad.

swbatte said:
Wouldn't it be great if you pulled them off and they looked frayed and ready to break? I'm doing mine this spring and I am sure it will look brand new...to the naked eye...under a microscope or under stress???? Probably not.

agree, it was cracked and worn it would be too late.

Back