• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tire wear

D

dollenz

I have a little over 2K miles on my '99 and I'm a little alarmed at the signs of tire wear I'm getting. I know the original Yokos don't last over 10K but every time I pull into my garage I can smell the wear (burnt rubber) and tire dust accumulates on my rear bumper at an alarming rate. It only takes about 200 miles of driving to put a light coat of tire dust on the bumper. Is this normal?

I'm now running 30 psi front and 37 psi rear. Has anyone used 33 in the rear? Does that change the handling characteristics? What about the tire dust on the bumper? Is that normal?

have 32 front 33 rear on my stock 15/16 combo and wear is good. I have heard of others using this pressure with good luck.

Originally posted by dollenz:
It only takes about 200 miles of driving to put a light coat of tire dust on the bumper. Is this normal?

Yes, but it's not tire dust. It's primarily by-products of combustion from the exhaust.

You can increase tire wear by changing your alignment settings; see the FAQ for details.

Use whatever tire pressures give you even wear across the width of the tread. I find that the recommended 33F/40R does just fine if you drive the car fairly hard.

Back