• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Too much wax?

The other day I took my car in for a service. While there I asked them NOT to wash it. (As many of you know by my previous posts on this thread, I am somewhatic neurotic about my car, and yes she is a garage queen.) Well, today I washed the car and discovered that I can see the lines where the tech had his protective liner while working on the car.

Here is my question, should I rewax the area of the car which is noticible or is it time to go through my annual cleaning procedure, which was about nine months ago?

I used Meguira's NXT in the past, but I thought it was too much glare rather in-depth shine. So, I covered the car in Meguira's white carnauba paste wax, by hand, and the results were fantastic.

My usual procedures for annual work are:

- Wash with Dawn detergent
- Rewash car with Meguira's Liquid Gold
- Mother's Clay with Mother's Detailer
- Wash with Meguiar's Liquid Gold
- Use Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner
- Use Meguiar's System Polish
- Use Meguiar's Solid Carnauba Past Wax

All of this I do by hand. I don't have the guts to try a buffer.

Any suggestions regarding products and procedures would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

I would skip the dawn for removing the wax. I would think the paint cleanser would to that. A spray of 50/50 iso alcohol and water would help remove it if you want to switch to a paint sealant or start over.
If the lines that you see are minor clear coat scratches, you can try to fill with a glaze and then re-wax OR try to remove with a polish by hand OR polish by machine.
Fear shouldn't be a factor in using a machine to remove minor defects in your paint. Porter Cable or other random orbit machines are easy to use and remove VERY little surface from your clear if used properly. Not wanting to invest the time/money/effort IS a valid reason to stay away from these machines :wink:
PC or cyclo will really take your detailing to the next level!

Last edited:
Have you tried just washing the car, to see if the lines come off? If so, and if you don't want to do your annual procedure at this time, then I would suggest just doing the last two steps (polish and wax) to get the lines off. (Wax alone won't remove anything, it will just cover up what's there.)

Or, you can do your whole routine now, instead of three months from now. Your choice...

Dtrigg said:
The other day I took my car in for a service. While there I asked them NOT to wash it. (As many of you know by my previous posts on this thread, I am somewhatic neurotic about my car, and yes she is a garage queen.) Well, today I washed the car and discovered that I can see the lines where the tech had his protective liner while working on the car.

Here is my question, should I rewax the area of the car which is noticible or is it time to go through my annual cleaning procedure, which was about nine months ago?

I used Meguira's NXT in the past, but I thought it was too much glare rather in-depth shine. So, I covered the car in Meguira's white carnauba paste wax, by hand, and the results were fantastic.

My usual procedures for annual work are:

- Wash with Dawn detergent
- Rewash car with Meguira's Liquid Gold
- Mother's Clay with Mother's Detailer
- Wash with Meguiar's Liquid Gold
- Use Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner
- Use Meguiar's System Polish
- Use Meguiar's Solid Carnauba Past Wax

All of this I do by hand. I don't have the guts to try a buffer.

Any suggestions regarding products and procedures would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Man you guys stinkin work too hard at trying to keep your cars clean and detailed.

No need to DAWN your car, if it is nice and smooth there is no need to clay. Also why in the world does everyone think they must wash, clay and then re-wash????

Why not wash the car, rinse off the soap and then clay the car while it is wet? Don't buy that overly expensive "clay lube" either. It's nothing but soap and water....mix up your own.

You have 3 wash steps alone.....no offense but that's just rediculous.

You should only have to use ONE polish that will both clean and then also remove fine marring. Then you simply wax the car. There is no need to buy 3 seperate cleaner/polishes and then a seperate wax.

Anthony

The two initial wash steps seem redundant but is your choice if you like to continue doing that with Dawn and then a paint shampoo.

During your wash, you can use the soap on the wash mitt as the lubricant. See how in this thread and look at technique 2- Claying During Your Car Wash.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50886

(also read in this thread "When do you use it?" to see if you need to clay)

I recommend washing after claying since the clay is exfoliating the contaminants from the paints surface so you want to get rid of it before drying. In the case of having rail dust or other particles (like bird doo)removed while claying, if you wipe the surface with a MF, it will create scratches so I suggest washing the clayed areas afterwards before drying and going into your detailing routine.

Also, if you have clayed the car correctly, you shouldn't need to use a paint cleaner which is a redundant step.

Back