• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

track events?

ak

Legendary Member
Do anyone participate in open track events/driver's ed type events around DC area? I was considering going for NASA event at VIR in Oct(given that there are still spots open). Anyone have experience with them? Also if you can give me some insights to getting started for high performance driving around this area, I'd appreciate it.

Originally posted by ak:
Do anyone participate in open track events/driver's ed type events around DC area? I was considering going for NASA event at VIR in Oct(given that there are still spots open). Anyone have experience with them? Also if you can give me some insights to getting started for high performance driving around this area, I'd appreciate it.

ak - try Summit Point raceway in Charles Town, WV. I go to Ferrari track events there a couple times/yr for the Ferrari of Washington crowd. I know they have track dates set aside as well as professional instruction.

Just thought of a lot more information so I thought I'll append it to my previous post.

Summit Point has track events on Fridays (FATT - Fridays at the track). Visit their website for more information http://www.bsr-inc.com/FATT.HTM. Although, BSR does not have the best instructors, and their classroom sessions are rather useless. FATT also tend to fill up quickly after the Washington Post wrote a story about it last year.

VIR is approximately a 4.5 hour drive from my area, perhaps half an hour shorter if you leave from Reston; however, as far as I know they will only be doing the North Course for the Oct. 12/13 event. IMO, east coast NASA has the best environment for learning, good instructors, good classes, and good organizers. Generally, NASA may offer a discount if a group of 15+ attend their event, so check local car clubs in the area for more information.

Personally, I am signed up for CarGuy's Seat Time event http://www.carguys.com in Nov. and possibly their Summit Point event that same wekened. Seat Time is basically for drivers who know a little about the course, and have a good idea about what they are doing. There are no instructors available for CarGuy's Seat Time, so most likely you'll be in the car by yourself. Although from my recollection, an instructor may be available if you specify you need one PRIOR to the event, but he/she will not be available to ride with you throughout the day (maybe until the noon sessions). I personally prefer Car Guys because they allow you to "earn" free track time. Call CG and tell Arie that you'd like to work the flags. For every two track days as a worker you'll earn a free track day as a driver, can't beat that!

[This message has been edited by fangtl (edited 30 August 2002).]

Summit and vir are close but don't overlook pocono about 2.5-3 hrs drive and pda,carguys,trackquest for other clubs besides nasa and fatt.

Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking about FATT this month but taking off Friday could be rather difficult in corporate america these days... Anyhow, i'll look into some more events. Do post here if you guys are getting toghether for track somewhere
smile.gif

Originally posted by fangtl:
If anyone wants to get together for FATT let me know, I am off on Fridays anyway.

redface.gif
....i wish i could say the same...

[This message has been edited by ak (edited 03 September 2002).]

Back