• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Trailering an NSX?

Hi, guys. I'm going to be traveling about 2300 miles and want to trailer my car on a 16', car trailer (not enclosed). I have two questions I'd like to ask.

1) Where is a good place to attach the tie downs? I'm guessing, the wishbone suspension is not the best place. Not very mechanically savvy, so pictures would go along way, as part of your explanation.

2) I am also concerned about rock chips. I plan on using my OEM bra, but also want to use the OEM car cover. My question there is, is it advisable to use a car cover at 60 MPH, and should I be concerned with the car cover "flapping"? If not, what other suggestions might I try?

Thanks in advance.

OEM Car cover might blow quite a bit in the wind unless totally wrapped with tie downs. When I bought mine, the guy I bought from put the OEM cover on it, but the trucker didn't get far and said it was buffeting quite bad, so took it off. Is it going to be used frequently along the way, or one long trip? I once took the time to shrink wrap my entire car. Took quite a while but with time and patience, wrapped the entire thing with a roll of 18" shrink wrap.

OEM Car cover might blow quite a bit in the wind unless totally wrapped with tie downs. When I bought mine, the guy I bought from put the OEM cover on it, but the trucker didn't get far and said it was buffeting quite bad, so took it off. Is it going to be used frequently along the way, or one long trip? I once took the time to shrink wrap my entire car. Took quite a while but with time and patience, wrapped the entire thing with a roll of 18" shrink wrap.

It will be used as one long trip. I think I've decided not to use the car cover, instead, using a bra and painters tape combination and hope for the best. I will be towing behind a pickup truck. Any ideas as to how much "spray" will be kicked up?

I just drove my NSX on to my tandem trailer today. There are four places under the car to secure it to the trailer. It is quite easy actually. Have an appointment to get a whole bunch of maintenance done to my car next Monday. We'll see how it tows behind my truck for 200 miles tomorrow.

Note to self, if your car is lowered and you're using a usual trailer, take off your front lip. It will not fit over the wheel stops. Luckily I had mine off when I loaded my car.

I just drove my NSX on to my tandem trailer today. There are four places under the car to secure it to the trailer. It is quite easy actually. Have an appointment to get a whole bunch of maintenance done to my car next Monday. We'll see how it tows behind my truck for 200 miles tomorrow.

Thanks. I would be interested to know if you encountered any rocks thrown at your car during your trip. Also, if you have any photos of your car on the trailer with the truck you used to pull it. That would give me a good idea if your setup is similar to what mine will be.

Thanks. I would be interested to know if you encountered any rocks thrown at your car during your trip. Also, if you have any photos of your car on the trailer with the truck you used to pull it. That would give me a good idea if your setup is similar to what mine will be.

I trailered my 91' from Oklahoma city to Ogden, Utah (back in 2001 and the mind might be fuzzy :wink:)and I strapped the back down by using the what I would assume strap rings up underneath the rear valance (Peak your head up underneath the car behind your rear tire and you will see it) and in the front I just put the strap thru the front wheel and then wrapped it thru and then back to the tiedown. It was about 1300 miles and I pulled it with a Ford Explorer and I didnt have any issues with rock chips as the car didnt sit above the top of the Explorer , and then the trailer deflected anything coming from the tires. It was the loading of the car that was the hardest..

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions

Thanks, to everyone that has chimed in. From the responses, I think I will be fine. .... Now, if I can relax enough knowing my wife will be driving, I'll be happier than all get out. I start the long journey tomorrow morning.

I was advised to not cover a car with anything while open trailering. Too much abrasion from the wind vortices. Your painters tape is probably the best solution barring an extravagant front fairing on the trailer...safe travels to you and yours.

Towed my NSX to the dealer today. 231 miles, no issues. Open tandem trailer pulled behind my Ford F-250 Super Duty. Pulled it no problem, 70-80 mph freeway with ease. I screwed 2X4's in front and behind all four tires and used the factory tow hooks under the car and it did not budge at all on the trip.

Well, I'm little more than half way, and the only issue is the painters tape has left some adhesive residue on my paint. Other than that, no issues. Crossing my fingers that nothing else happens.

Last edited:
sucks not driving it to the destination make the wife and kids drive the other car LOL while you cruise behind them in style LOL

- - - Updated - - -

oh and for the record..................NEVER USE YOUR CONTROL ARMS FOR TOWING on any car not just the NSX, with it tied down a bump in the road can bent it very easy since its tied in one point on the arms. all cars have a tow point refer to owners manual.

I've stopped using my Hrant F-16 cover at work because one windy day with a lot of pollen in the air put my car in serious need of a detail. The abrasion of a car cover at 60MPH for many miles...could be very bad.

Back