• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Transmission?

Just another note...My fifth gear seems to want to sometimes grind into place. I am told this is the transmission. All other gears shift no problem, but at high speed when I put it into 5th..it's almost like I have to jam it in there to get going...I am hearing new transmission? True or false?
Thanx.
Dan

------------------
'91 BLK/BLK
"SLAKJAW"

Originally posted by Slackjaw:
Just another note...My fifth gear seems to want to sometimes grind into place. I am told this is the transmission. All other gears shift no problem, but at high speed when I put it into 5th..it's almost like I have to jam it in there to get going...I am hearing new transmission? True or false?
Thanx.
Dan

check the tranny oil level - was it serviced recently?

------------------
need more info? please private me @

[email protected]

Mark Johnson, CEO of Custodial Services @ Dali Racing, a Not For Profit Company.

You have a 5th gear synchro that may be going south. If you have changed the tranny fluid (OEM is always suggested) and it still persists, it's definitely the synchro. To get it fixed, your tranny will have to be taken apart and the problem synchro replaced. While it is apart, you may want to replace all the other synchros for good measure as well as all the needle bearings. The parts may cost a few hundred more but you'll have fresh parts and won't have to worry about any tranny problems.

Vytas

Fifth gear synchro - or the synchro spring ring. These are actually two different parts that mate together. The irony is that often the sychro is ok, but the spring ring is the culprit. It is a $5 (?) part.

My tranny does the same thing. Fortunately, if I pause about one second when I shift from forth, it goes into fifth fine. If I shift fast, about eight times out of ten, it grinds.

Basically, I have the same deal. If I wait about 1 second, it goes into 5th fine as well..How were you going to go about fixing that?

------------------
'91 BLK/BLK
"SLAKJAW"

I'm not - the effort to remove the tranny, rebuild the tranny and reinstall the tranny is not worth it. Simply put, I don't make redline 4th-5th shifts every day.

99% of the time during street driving, I can time the 4th-5th shift w/o grinding. Even at the track with adrenaline flowing, I can shift +95% of the time w/o grinding.

Originally posted by AndyVecsey:
Fifth gear synchro - or the synchro spring ring...

I'm guessing the latter simply because I can't imagine wearing out the 5th gear syncro, much less before any others that take 10 times the beating. Unless of course there is something about the one for 5th that makes it particularly vulnerable, but I haven't heard that.

Wondering why 5th gear synchros would go first? I recall reading somewhere that 2nd and 3rd have 2 sets of synchros so they won't wear out as fast and are the ones usually getting hammered. why 5th before 4th though? Random luck?

Fritz

Originally posted by nsx4fun:
Wondering why 5th gear synchros would go first? I recall reading somewhere that 2nd and 3rd have 2 sets of synchros so they won't wear out as fast and are the ones usually getting hammered. why 5th before 4th though? Random luck?

Fritz

I believe that only 2nd gear has the "double" synchros, which is really an outer ring much like any other, with a so-called synchro cone inside that, then the inner ring which is quite different and helps to improve speed matching through friction with the cone. All other gears are of the normal single variety.

Back