• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Trunk lid hinges

d.n

Experienced Member
My last NSX had a cracked trunk hinge, my new one has 2. Is this common? Any alternatives or are folks just buying new replacements from Acura? Any way to keep this from happening again? I tried to do a search and didn't come up with much, but I did end up stumbling cheap replacement trunk lid struts :biggrin:

could you post a pick? I have not heard of the parts cracking,typical failure is the strut shocks weakening.

Much like docjohn said, I too have never heard of the hinges cracking/breaking, unless it was due to an impact. You're best bet is to replace the whole unit for both sides. Best of luck :cool:

Thanks guys, I'll just pick up a replacement for both sides. I do notice that there aren't any "rubber" stoppers on the hinges and the rear bumper is missing as well. Perhaps this contributed to it. Here are pics from my 91. My 02 had this problem as well

DSCN3091_v2.jpg

DSCN3094_v2.jpg

DSCN3092_v2.jpg

Last edited:
Notice you're in Daly City (I assume CA) right on the Pacific Ocean... this car looks like it's lived its life outside in salt air -- everything the photos has rust on it. And all the bolts have had paint worn off -- accident(s)?

what color is that car? looks like primer:confused:

lol you guys are tough customers. I guess that's the price to pay for good advice :biggrin:

Car was originally berlina, but was repainted GPW. It spent a number of years in Houston (SE Houston I believe) and I just picked it up not long ago - early Christmas for me. The previous owner had literally monkeyed with everything and anything as is evident from the pics. Luckily the underside is in pretty normal looking shape for a 20yr old car that hasn't been driven on salted roads, so I'm not sure what's up with the rusty bolts on the shiny side. There is some more of it under the engine bay glass.

Anyhow thanks for the info and hope you're having a Merry Christmas. I know I am.

PS - in response to Daly City, we're situated such that the air doesn't smell of salt and the cars don't have any rust problems associated with the ocean. I think I would move if we did :)

Last edited:
looking at those pics looks like the lid was stressed trying to be closed with something preventing full closure and the metal fatigued...just a guess.

You're missing the little rubber cushions that fit around the tab. Here's where they may be. I found mine and wrote this up years ago that's still up on the NSX Northwest site (which I don't have access to anymore).

http://northwest.nsxca.org/tcushion.html

looking at those pics looks like the lid was stressed trying to be closed with something preventing full closure and the metal fatigued...just a guess.

Looks to me like someone really torqued up on the lid to force it past full open. Pretty strange / uncommon. Three for one owner has me really puzzled. Is it maybe windy enough in that area that it has repeatedly caught the trunk lid? Rage issue? :tongue:

In this case Docjohn might be right. Perhaps when the hinges were painted, they were misaligned and did not close well and the owner forced the lid closed. That's the only thing I can think of. My last one was the same situation in that it was an inherited problem.

I'm going to buy two new hinges this time around and I'll be sure to get the rubber bumpers and the bumpers that go on the body side. If it happens again, I'll know it's my fault :cool:

i thought it was a normal thing for them to crack. the driverside hinge on my nsx has also cracked .

** Not sure what hinges cost but you could have them welded, then repaint them. Be sure to replace all of the rubber bumpers, before shutting it with any force again. The ones on my 92' are fine, I'm pretty sure it's NOT normal.

Last edited:
Back