• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Twin turbo NSX for 2004 JGTC

Brian2by2 said:
i don't know too much about JGTC, but isn't the 500 series called the "500" because there is a 500hp limit?? I always thought that superchargers made more low end than turbos :confused:

Either way, its siiiick! and im lookin forward to learnin more about JGTC this year (now that i have an NSX :D )

Superchargers that deliver good low-end torque numbers typically have a weaker top-end, i.e. twin-screw and roots blowers. On the other hand, centrifugal blowers like Paxton and Vortech have tremendous top-end, but do sacrifice low-end torque. Some of this can be off-set by running a small pulley to produce boost quicker and then vent off the extra unwanted boost on the top-end. Although, this configuration will produce much more heat and will need to be dealt with in one way or another.

A properly designed turbo can get you the best of both worlds. In the case of the JGTC NSX, it is using two smallish turbos that will spool up ultra-fast resulting in great low-end torque, yet also have the ability to deliver good numbers on the big end too.

I thought that JGTC rules only allowed for "stock" items or items only offered by the factory. That's why I thought they started offering that "interesting" looking F1 style air intake on the rear hatch.

Somehow, I don't really think that this means Honda is going to offer turbos on their production cars. Rather, this is just some sort of allowance to allow the NSX to remain competitive (ala the realtime NSX having a SC). Nissan and Toyota had the advantage in that they could work the engine as well as turn the boost up. Honda could only work the engine.

PS. Look at the size of that side intake!!!

SpeedAddict said:
Rather, this is just some sort of allowance to allow the NSX to remain competitive (ala the realtime NSX having a SC).

So if they realize the race car is not competitive and add a turbo, why can't they see the road car is also not competitive and needs a turbo??

Who is running this joint??

Serioulsly though, if Honda added a Turbo to the 2005 NSX (until HSC), would anyone complain? I bet it would make all the mags and reviews galore and also bump sales up.

I don't see a downside??

Also, does anyone make JGTC bodykits for the NSX??

Who is running this joint??

Actually, Takeo Fukui is. I hear that he is a big racing fan, which may explain the development of a new nsx after all these years. I remember him saying that he wouldn't release the new car until they were winning again in F1. If you haven't been following F1, after years of being a mid-pack runner at best, BAR-Honda is raising eyebrows in practice with fast laptimes. Albeit it is still testing, the outlook does look promising.

SpeedAddict said:
I thought that JGTC rules only allowed for "stock" items or items only offered by the factory. That's why I thought they started offering that "interesting" looking F1 style air intake on the rear hatch.

Toyota has been running their 4 cylinder turbo engine in the supra for a couple years now although it is based on a production engine. Not sure what the limitations of the rules are. Now if only Speed channel would televise the whole JGTC series!

That side intake is intense. Must be a big intercooler in there.

As it was stated multiple times in other threads, the JGTC rules (at least for the 500 class) are very liberal. You can use nearly any engine you want (AFAIK the Toyotas had also other engines than in the production cars), you can mount it how you like (for the NSX it was vice versa compared to our cars), you can build a whole new suspension etc. - so the race cars have nearly nothing to do with the cars in the showroom.

That's also the problem for someone who wants to use a JGTC car for Le Mans or other european challenges: The rule books are too different.

Back