• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Two-Tone Interior on a Black Car?

So I'm kinda torn on what, if any, I want to do to my interior to freshen it up. My car is a 94 and the original black leather seats are all cracked and torn, so I'm going to be recovering them soon. I've also looked at the DIY interior stitching mod which looked really cool in red thread, but I got to wondering if any accent color like red, or whatever, would like cheesy or ricey on a black car. I can understand if the car is red, then some red accents might look appropriate. But we've all seen horror examples of people that have gone way overboard, like spray painting all their plastic interior pieces yellow or red. I'm definitely not going for anything like that, more of a subtle refresh.

So anyway, I'm torn on this issue: is red, or any other accent color on a black-bodied car considered ricey, or tacky? (I suppose brake calipers might fit into that category as well, but I'm focused on my interior right now). What about something subtle, like a frost or light gray contrasting stitching? Would the seats look too weird in black leather with say, charcoal or light gray inserts? How about light gray door leather inserts? Argh I'm just unsure what kind of look I want to go for. I'm not too concerned with resale, I'm really just trying to figure out what I really want to do, and hopefully you guys can help. I would love to see some pictures of two-toned interiors that are not the typical black / red interiors. That seems to be the most common, and I'm not sure that would look right on a black car.

Thoughts?

I would say charcoal grey accents, like the center of your seats, the door inserts, etc, but I would do the perforated alacantra for those pieces.

A red/black two tone would look great if done right. In my opinion not too much of the seat should be red and the red should not be a bright red. This would be ideal
interior.png

Last edited:
neat idea - but that's more of a burnt orange than red. I do think it would look sharp in a black car and certainly unique in an NSX. You could match it with a dark graphite.

Here's a color swatch from LeatherSeats.com

BurntOrange.jpg

DarkGraphite.jpg

Could make for a very classy interior setup in a seat style like this:
combo.gif
and add the burnt orange color contrast stitching.

That looks like the Umber color offered in the MDX Advance. Others call it tobacco. A saddle color contrast would be nice and will probably have a longer shelf life esthetically than real red or similar vibrant color.

Agreed - even tan/black two-tone leather will still look classy even years from now, while reds etc. may look gaudy later on.

i've got the 2 tone forest green/black set on leatherseats.com

if you go 2 tone, i'd suggest going for a darker pair of colors, more subtle and classy, rather than something bright that will look ricer/cheesy

Thanks for the thoughts.

I ended up sticking with black. I did order black leather with black alcantara seat body, so it'll feel nice :)

Back