• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TX 85 MPH speed limit!

Yesterday news of this came on the radio while coincidentally ... I was doing 85 on the highway (Prevailing traffic speed,Not the hwy in the news).

In the panhandle of Texas it's a 80mph limit, but I got pulled over for 90... dammit. Didn't think 10 over would get me a ticket.

In the panhandle of Texas it's a 80mph limit, but I got pulled over for 90... dammit. Didn't think 10 over would get me a ticket.

You were doing 90 MPH!! Let's think about that for a min... You were doing 90 MPH and didn't think you should get a ticket!:biggrin: That arbitrary rule applies at 65-75 speed limit. The 10 MPH cushion starts shrinking fast after that.

Regarding the 85 MPH road.... Its an empty toll road that is wide and mainly used to avoid Austin traffic on the way to San Antonio. Most of us were doing 85 already with our V1's:wink:

You were doing 90 MPH!! Let's think about that for a min... You were doing 90 MPH and didn't think you should get a ticket!:biggrin: That arbitrary rule applies at 65-75 speed limit. The 10 MPH cushion starts shrinking fast after that.

Regarding the 85 MPH road.... Its an empty toll road that is wide and mainly used to avoid Austin traffic on the way to San Antonio. Most of us were doing 85 already with our V1's:wink:

Now you can do 95 with your v1 :biggrin:

85 is fast... I hope people have some sense and tone it down during inclement weather... Here in Arizona, they don't seem to understand that wet roads offer less friction. There always seems to be 2 - 4 serious wrecks on my 20-mile commute in the winter (every time it rains).

File:US_speed_limits.svg

Montana used to have a speed limit posted as 'reasonable and proper', but it's now speed limit is 75mph.

85mph would be pretty cool...if Texas roads weren't junk.

It was 80mph out where I was, and you'd be stupid to get up there.

85mph would be pretty cool...if Texas roads weren't junk.

It was 80mph out where I was, and you'd be stupid to get up there.

The toll road in austin where the speed limit is 85mph is new. I cant speak for the othere cities in texas, but austins roads are pretty good, except for downtown!

Just one more thing California could learn from texas

It's funny I heard some people on the news talking about this, and they were acting as if 85 was soo scary fast, it was ridiculous. Maybe in the 1960's doing 85 was scary, but in modern cars, on a smooth road 85 mph feels like just cruising along at 50. Besides lots of people drive that fast on normal freeways anyways, it's not like your wheels fall off and the car disintegrates. Obviously the situation changes if the road is not well maintained or the rain is pouring down, but some common sense has to apply here. I wish to see higher limits here in CA as well but it's probably not gonna happen. Too many people are stuck on the "speed kills" mantra. It only kills when you hit something solid :)

Well, when you consider tue pure math of it combined with the minimum leagal driving age, as well as the average amont of "sense" out there, 85mph is too fast for a lot of people to handle in the event of unforseen circumstances. Most people don't factor in the "what ifs" when driving on the freeway. Not to mention all the distractions people have now-a-days.

Back