• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TX: No Front Plate Bill Time Again

I've seen this posted before a few years back, but I came across it on another forum recently so I am passing the word around (copied and pasted):

Here is where to find your rep… http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/

This is the bill from the current 82nd legislature, Texas only meets every 2 years so this is a big push….so please call or email your rep…

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/billlookup/History.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=HB1068 if you want to read the bill, its real simple……..rear only license platers required.

Here is our chance to help eliminate the requirement of a front license plate on our beloved sports cars. They look bad on our cars, they are not aerodynamic (which uses more gasoline and hurts the environment), they cost the state of Texas in excess of $3 million dollars a year to produce, they cost the counties additional tax dollars in storage, etc. You get the idea. With our current state budget crisis, now is the best time to influence our lawmakers to eliminate front license plates.

If you agree, see the rest of the message below and let your state representative know how you feel. Also, please pass this message along to other car clubs, sponsors, businesses and anyone else that is like minded and would like to support this change.

This grass roots support initiative was started by the Z Club of Texas (ZCOT), a car club in the Dallas area for Datsun and Nissan Z cars. Now we're looking for others to join us, from A to Z, in supporting HB 1068 to eliminate the requirement for a front license plate.

-----Original Message-----

Several members of ZCOT have expressed an interest in not having a front license plate. If you agree with this idea, now is your chance to help make it law.

Rep Fred Brown of Bryan has started a bill, HB 1068, to do away with the requirement for a front license plate in Texas.

Its going to be an uphill battle, but car groups like ours can help make it happen.

A member of ZCOT (Jim Horn) has talked to the Transportation Committee Chairman who assured him he would give the bill a fair hearing and make DPS show the real law enforcement need.

We need all Texas ZCOT members to send letters, emails, phone calls, whatever, to their reps/senators and get other car clubs and their members to do the same. We especially need to work the Transportation Committee
members. Bill tracking/members/etc available at : www.house.state.tx.us

We have seen opposition like Rep. Vicki Truitt and Senator Craig Estes, so if they are in your voter district you should let them know you don't appreciate their opposition. We need to be prepared to have some folks from around the state go to Austin to testify when the bill is set for a committee hearing.

I got pulled over Sunday for not having a front plate outside Houston city limit (Hwy 288) but was only issued a warning. Not worth being harassed without it so much to my disappointment I'm having mine installed. Is it possible to have a SOS stealth license plate holder group buy?

Last edited:
I've been very lucky in all my years. Never had a front plate, never will, knocking on wood.

Has the Po-po ever bothered you for not having the front plate? I never have had one on the NSX, and I haven't heard a peep from them. *knocks wood*

I've been very lucky in all my years. Never had a front plate, never will, knocking on wood.

It's usually only when your acting like a dick or going 5 over that they use the "No front license plate" reason they pulled you over bit. Obey the law you will never have a issue,like me. :cool:

Back