• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Uneven brake pad wear

Am running the RM/AP big brake kit with a larger Front caliper (AP 4-pot) and the OE Rear caliper, all on 13-inch drilled rotors.

I've had about 8+ track events on them using performance street/track pads from RM. Mostly at medium-braking tracks (1 apiece at RoadAmerica and MidOhio, the rest at Putnam/Gingerman).

Current status:
- need to change FRONT pads (still have "some" material left)
- my REAR pads (specifically, left rear INSIDE) were down to the backing plates after 4 events, scoring the rotor
frown.gif
) [note: the outer pads still looked OK]
- on the scored rotor, I installed OEM rear pads (whilst waiting for replacement rotors) - these lasted me 3 track events (presumably the scored left rear rotors were like a cheese grater on the pads)

I'm changing the rear rotors, and pads all around (have a 3-4 day track weekend coming up). This time I'm remounting the pads supplied by RM, later I'm switching to Porterfield R4S.

Anyone experienced MORE pad wear on the rears? Should I be investigating other alternatives, like either a harder rear pad compound or a proportioning valve?

Also, there is a noticeable wear difference LEFT to RIGHT, at least on the rears. The LEFT side wears faster - still have ~2-3 mm on right and left is at backing plate.

Will also look into cooling (hoses/deflectors/etc), although the brakes are NOT fading, the pads are just wearing faster.

Appreciate any advice. TIA

------------------
Manuel C
93 NSX S/B #394
93 300CE
93 NH750

[This message has been edited by nsx1164 (edited 08 June 2001).]

My RM kit is also not wearing even from left to right. But I think this is due to the track having more left turns than right turns.

------------------
For some, it's a compensation.

Originally posted by maomaonsx:
My RM kit is also not wearing even from left to right. But I think this is due to the track having more left turns than right turns.

I thought about that, although most of the tracks I frequent are clockwise, and have hard braking into RIGHT turns more often (expection would be Road America turns 5 and 8, Gingerman turns 1 and 5)

Its my LEFT side that wears out faster

Back