• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Used SC experiences?

I'm sorry if this is a redundant thread, but does anyone have experiences to share or advice about used SC's ?

Thanks guys.

Batmans - did driving ambition find it for you and install too? How much was it 'all in' ?

If you are buying a used one, depending on mileage on it, I recommend you do check the seals for any potential leak. I had to do that on mine after an install but the Autorotor had some miles on it. Otherwise the only unknown would be if it was over-oiled or not oiled enough. And yes, Driving Ambition did mine.

If I recall, BBoxer on this forum had to refurbish his Whipple SC - I believe it was the snout.

Hrant,
I actually ended up not rebuilding the Whipple. At Shad's advice, i sent the unit back east to have it rebuilt for $650. I was told over the phone that it was better to buy a new unit from them. Since my problem was only excessive noise and no loss of performance, i conferred with Shad again and decided to have it shipped back. We reinstalled it and filled it with the new GM supercharger-specific special oil. Like magic, all worked well and excessive noise is gone. Power still in the 350-360 RWHP like it always was.
Note: my CT SC has 50,000 miles, installed by Shad at CT in 2000.

Your lowest price is going to be bbsc. Then maybe old ctsc. Mine had 55k miles and zero issues. Of course, the guy who bought it may have it implode at 56k.

Do your research. if you are buying from a prime member look up their posts and see what they have said in the past about their cars with the sc.

Most are selling because they want to sell their nsx and put it stock or because they are going turbo. At least that is what i see.

Thanks guys.

Batmans - did driving ambition find it for you and install too? How much was it 'all in' ?

Yes they did. It was a NSX "organ donor" that had the right organs.

Not everyone is qualified to drive a NSX with almost double the power.

I started my training with a 430rwhp FD and a 560rwhp GTO. So the NSX was the most anemic and I got used to it fast.

Do your research. if you are buying from a prime member look up their posts and see what they have said in the past about their cars with the sc.

Most are selling because they want to sell their nsx and put it stock or because they are going turbo. At least that is what i see.

Turbo is good if u don't have much to worry about in the smog state like California.

I just passed the sniffer with the SOS SC and Driving Ambition's water IC. Passed with flying colors too.

Passed the visual too. Unless the smog tech has a tape measure laying there and knows what to look for, the upgraded SOS SC looks like a CARB legal Comptech Autorotor version.

Turbos? At your own risk. Trust me, i was going back and forth and decided that I didn't want to face a fine for a not smoggable power adder.

Turbo build and assembly and tuning is a hit or miss.

Most of the guys that seem to be selling the supercharger are running the lower end blowers and often on the low boost kit. I know I would.

Got mine used. Been two yrs. No problem at all. I have the low boost whipple though. I like it.. No extra time in shop for anything. No tune needed. Plug and play kinda thing.

Back