• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Using a straight edge razor

after years of using Gilette's mach 1,2,3,4,5, fusion razors.

i am starting to use a straight edge razor.

right now i am using a beginners set made in India.

Anyone would like to chime in what brand they use.

Any tips and techniques for novices? I have seem some youtube videos.

shave with the grain, hold the blade 30 degrees, etc.

how important is that shaving brush and type of cream used verses the one you can get in a can (ie: Edge shave gels)

thanks

Anytime I hear straight edge razor I alway think about my brother in law getting a shave at a barber shop many years ago. We both had a few beers and went to get a hair cut. He decided to get a shave, LOL, the barber just shredded his face. He was covered in nicks. Worst shave I have ever seen. I wish there had been cell phone cameras back then, would have been a good pic.

Anytime I hear straight edge razor I alway think about my brother in law getting a shave at a barber shop many years ago. We both had a few beers and went to get a hair cut. He decided to get a shave, LOL, the barber just shredded his face. He was covered in nicks. Worst shave I have ever seen. I wish there had been cell phone cameras back then, would have been a good pic.

hi steve, what a great story. Yes it is very easy to get nicked with a super sharp straight edge razor. It is difficult to find a great barber who can do a nice shave, and good ol' american style barber shops are slowly depleting :(
you get places like Hair Cuttery, Knockouts, etc.

Nowadays if I have to get the barber to do a full shave, I would no longer have enough to buy mods lol.

Wow, brave brave man. I too have been nicked to near death with a straight razor, after having it done enough to be comfortable, and swore I'd never do it again. That said, I hope the best for you w/ this endeavor. ;)

If you don't have good success, and go back to the Mach/Fusion set up. I'd recommend using eshave.com products. Badger hair brush, pre-shave oil, shave cream, and after shave cream. Even their aluminum block is good.

Prep, good products, and technique = you won't be beating up your face just to shave.

Been using a ST8 for years but if time counts a DE.

Best thing I learned was to ship my 6-7 razors in every year to have sharpened.

Check out: http://straightrazorplace.com/

the forums have great info and the people are good quality like here.

BTW: never have cut myself with a razor but it will take time to get the skill...watch youtube vids and get a good quality razor you only buy them once!!!

holyshit, it's jeffshoots.. old school rx7clubber

600x400-handa-knife-caravan-22-600x400.jpg

Wow, brave brave man. I too have been nicked to near death with a straight razor, after having it done enough to be comfortable, and swore I'd never do it again. That said, I hope the best for you w/ this endeavor. ;)

If you don't have good success, and go back to the Mach/Fusion set up. I'd recommend using eshave.com products. Badger hair brush, pre-shave oil, shave cream, and after shave cream. Even their aluminum block is good.

Prep, good products, and technique = you won't be beating up your face just to shave.

oh yes, i'm sure we all have had our fair share of nicks and gashes ;)
thanks for the link, i'll look into their products

Been using a ST8 for years but if time counts a DE.

Best thing I learned was to ship my 6-7 razors in every year to have sharpened.

Check out: http://straightrazorplace.com/

the forums have great info and the people are good quality like here.

BTW: never have cut myself with a razor but it will take time to get the skill...watch youtube vids and get a good quality razor you only buy them once!!!

hey thanks, that is such a great resource for straight razors

holyshit, it's jeffshoots.. old school rx7clubber

I am also a rx7clubber since '04 :)

Did u not know he's been on this forum for a while?

And jeff, i texted u a while ago......

i'll pass on this lol

2nd on the eShave shaving cream with a badger brush. I don't use a straight razor... I use a Gillette Fusion but the shaving cream makes a huge difference. The shaving cream is pricey but it lasts a long time.

Back