• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Various NSX model's price-points...

Osiris_x11

Gold Member, Moderator: Marketplace
As the ever-changing market passes us by as w/ time, at what price-point do you decide to change, switch/swap, or add another NSX model to your garage?

For instance:

- '91-'94 NSX 5spd. models w/ maint'/service history & average miles can be acquired for $22,500 - $27,500

- '95-'96 NSX-T 5spd. models w/ average miles can be acquired for $27,500 - $30,000

- '97+ NSX-T 6spd. models w/ relatively good miles can be acquired for $35,000 - $40,000

- '02+ NSX-T 6spd. models w/ higher than average miles (>5k/year) can be acquired for $50,000 - $55,000

At what price-point does a particular NSX model that you don't have, but wouldn't mind having or adding another ( :D ), become more attractive?

- '91-'94 NSX 5spd. models w/ maint'/service history & average miles can be acquired for $22,500 - $27,500
Really? This is the year range I'm looking for but the cheapest car I've found is around $27,000. Where are these $22,000 cars with service history (without ugly/botched mods)?

once a blue-moon...

Really? This is the year range I'm looking for but the cheapest car I've found is around $27,000. Where are these $22,000 cars with service history (without ugly/botched mods)?
You gotta be vigilant and patient for something like that to appear. About a month or so ago, a very good friend of mine in towne sold his '91 NSX 5spd' w/ 70k'ish miles (Berlina-black/Onyx) which was bone-stock w/ full maint'/service history & accident-free for $21.5k (advertised for $23k, I believe). He was really involved and busy w/ his new business and he just wanted to dump it, literally... :(

However, for a clean, stock '91 NSX 5spd' w/ a clean-title and up to date maint'/service as well as reasonable miles, anticipate $25,000 - $27,500 and consider it a great deal. This model of NSX is virtually done depreciating, and by some accounts it's appreciating in value (ie. NADA, KBB, etc').

Also, remember that avg' miles for an NSX is 5k/year... thus, '91 model would be @ 85k miles for a 17 year-old car. And the maint'/service to look for is the 60k ($400-$600) & 90k t-b/w-p ($1200-$1600).

Last edited:
"Once in a blue moon" is right. Those are NOT typical prices. (Not even the 60K service, which is totally misquoted above, and in fact will cost you upwards of $1000 at almost every experienced NSX mechanic in the country.) I'm not saying it's impossible to find deals like that, but they depend on an unusual confluence of circumstances and just plain luck. If you aren't depending on being the luckiest guy in the world, there's no way you can count on anything even remotely close to those prices. No way at all. But a guy can always dream...

Last edited:
trends...

Not even the 60K service, which is totally misquoted above, and in fact will cost you upwards of $1000 at almost every experienced NSX mechanic in the country.
The price-range is for an independent shop (low-end) to an Acura dealer service-center (high-end) w/ a NSX-certified tech' and discounted/price-matched OEM parts.

(though, I'm not entirely sure if it includes valves-adjustment, as often it's stated to be 'case-by-case'; however it does include everything else)

nsxtasy said:
I'm not saying it's impossible to find deals like that, but they depend on an unusual confluence of circumstances and just plain luck. If you aren't depending on being the luckiest guy in the world, there's no way you can count on anything even remotely close to those prices. No way at all. But a guy can always dream...
It's not about dreaming man. I'd love to trump up NSX values all-day long, I'm such a NSX fan-boy to begin w/.

However, reality is a different story. Prices aforementioned in the original post are what I've seen people pay for their NSX'es in the past few months after some diligent searching. I wouldn't dare call them opportunistic or 'lucky'. Sources for their acquisitions range from Autotrader & Cars.com to ebay & Craigslist, as well as NSX Prime. Also, the few active sales/dealers/flippers on 'Prime that I speak to regularly have affirmed my figures.

If you don't believe me, check the for-sale portals I just stated above. Indeed it was a surprise to me as well... :(

Ex.

'91 NSX 5spd. w/ 85k miles, bone-stock, full service maint'/service history, clean-title...

$30,000... ideal transaction
$27,500... IMHO fair deal
$25,000... apparent reality

There is a difference between ideal perception and perceivable reality. Ideally, the various models should conform to the NSX Prime pricing-table or relatively close to it. Reality is that a clean-titled, average-mileage, and maintained/serviced NSX can be had for a very surprising price.

Anywayz... I just wanted to see what numbers/figures would make someone jump out of their seat and make a move for a different or additional NSX.

The price-range is for an independent shop (low-end) to an Acura dealer service-center (high-end) w/ a NSX-certified tech' and discounted/price-matched OEM parts.

(though, I'm not entirely sure if it includes valves-adjustment, as often it's stated to be 'case-by-case'; however it does include everything else)
Well, that's one possible reason for the discrepancy.

I've checked around (today) and for a complete 60K service (valve adjustment, fluids, filters, plugs), the independent shops are charging $800-1100 (low end is a guy working out of his home garage, high end is a regular independent mechanic with a shop and employees) and the dealers are charging $1000-1300.

It's not about dreaming man. I'd love to trump up NSX values all-day long, I'm such a NSX fan-boy to begin w/.
I don't "trump up NSX values" and I resent the snide insinuation. I really don't care what they sell for, as I am not in the market to sell or buy. I am merely an observer, and am well aware of what cars generally buy and sell for. And the simple fact is, you just can't go out and buy a car at the prices you indicate. Every time anyone has posted a particular car with an unusually low asking price, such as you are doing here, I've looked into it for further details, and 9-10 times out of 10, the car has some undisclosed problems and/or is not fairly represented in its listing. You can read "excellent condition" and find that the finish and interior are truly beat up, "full service and maintenance history" and find that the timing belt hasn't been changed since the car was new, etc. The sad fact is, this board is frock with tales of someone hopping on an airplane thinking they were going to get a bargain, only to be severely disappointed once they actually saw the car in person. Sure, there are immaculately-kept cars that don't have such flaws, but usually the owners of such cars ask, and get, a premium, and such cars sell within days, and are rarely advertised on Autotrader or similar websites.

Also, the few active sales/dealers/flippers on 'Prime that I speak to regularly have affirmed my figures.
I am constantly talking to people who are buying and selling NSXs, people who have been doing so for months, trying to see what they can get and where the market is. And the numbers above are simply not representative of the market; you cannot go out and get a '91 NSX with average miles and decent condition for $22,500 as you claim (or even $25,000). Which is why there's a recent topic on NSXprime called The Mythical $25K NSX.

Again, I'm not saying that this never happens. As you mention, it's possible you may be the lucky guy who just happens to talk to the guy who wants to dump it on the one day he makes that decision. But it's just not common, and you can search for months without ever finding cars at the prices you state.

There is a difference between ideal perception and perceivable reality. Ideally, the various models should conform to the NSX Prime pricing-table or relatively close to it. Reality is that a clean-titled, average-mileage, and maintained/serviced NSX can be had for a very surprising price.
I don't see the NSXprime pricing table (in the FAQ/Wiki) as "ideal" in any way. The market for used NSXs can move up and down as it pleases. As it happens, in my most recent experience and observations, the values in the pricing table tend to be quite accurate for the '91-94 Coupes that comprise the majority of NSXs, but overstated for the newer cars, and particularly so for the '02-05.

so I guess if I were looking to sell my 92 w/73k and maintenance records for $28500 that would move pretty quick.:cool:
If the scheduled maintenance is up to date (and won't need a timing belt in the next six months), there's nothing wrong with it (everything works properly), there are no undesirable or major modifications, and the snap ring issue has been fixed, then you should be able to get $30K if it's in reasonably good condition, and $32-33K if it's truly immaculate (glossy like-new finish, no visible wear on the seat leather, etc).

Last edited:
Not to get in the middle of a tiff here, but my own example seems to be indicative of prices in our area (D.C.). 97 Red w/38K, 98 Yellow w/30K both fully documented, accident free. 97 current on everything, 98 had not had timing belt/WP service. Both sold, within days, for $35K.

I drove both these cars, had the 97 inspected by the dealer. Both were as clean as you could hope for, no issues except tires. Last summer when I was looking, similar cars were $45K and out of my price range. I was pleasantly surprised with these two examples. Now, both sellers had backup offers and several people waiting in the wings to inspect the cars so perhaps they were both sold a bit low but neither were a fire sale because of a need by the seller.

real-time valuation...

nsxtasy... may we chose to agree to disagree, so to speak? You have your insights, I have mine. Neither one seems to be willing to recant based on their own collection/interpretation of data/trends/observations.

My S.O.P. is to state what I believe, and then reply just once in rebuttal/rebuke if need-be (w/ your comments/replies, quite often the case). I don't ever go back-&-forth bickering and trying to elucidate given points even further (though I would love to at times, but I hold back... nothin' further to gain, as'per my mantra). At times I wish forums/boards would only permit the individual one original comment/post and then one reply (a recant or affirmation), per thread. Alas, that would be nice. . . (I'd like to articulate further that this tangent was not directed at anyone in particular)

104349342dbbaa8c92aowb3.gif

92NSX said:
so I guess if I were looking to sell my 92 w/73k and maintenance records for $28500 that would move pretty quick.
92NSX/Maurice, I think that is a very fair price for you as a seller to accept and as well as for a prospective buyer to offer. Six months to a year ago, I'd say it would be too low!

Your NSX is a '92 w/ slightly below avg. miles, snap-ring free, full maint'/service history, and clean-title (sans' accidents/collisions/etc'). I'd say anywhere from $27,500 - $30,000 bone-stock would bring a timely sale, all depending on how long you were willing to wait.

Being the 3rd owner, I have a '91 NSX 5spd' w/ 91k miles (out of snap-ring range) w/ full service/maint' history, brand-new clutch. If/when I would offer it, it would require zero-dollars in repairs/etc'. This NSX has always been in Texas. I have minimal bolster-wear on the driver's side, interior is near-immaculate. However, I do have a ~18" touched-up scratch on the passenger-side rear quarter-panel. As it would be offered bone-stock (OEM parts reinstalled where relevant), I would do back-flips & cartwheels at an offer of $27,500! No lie... :D

Not to get in the middle of a tiff here, but my own example seems to be indicative of prices in our area (D.C.). 97 Red w/38K, 98 Yellow w/30K both fully documented, accident free. 97 current on everything, 98 had not had timing belt/WP service. Both sold, within days, for $35K.
Thanks for your honest insight. I actually followed your thread and it was actually a big catalyst for myself to draft up this one, for real!

If one of those aforementioned NSX'es was a Kaiser Silver, I was going to contact you so I could make a counter-offer that the seller or new/prospective buyer couldn't refuse! :D

Last edited:
Back