• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

VIR - Grand Course, June 18/19

Yup.. I can't even total the number times I'm going to end up at VIR this year.........

anywho..

www.mazdadrivers.com

Registration starts March 8th. (i.e tomm.)

x

I will be at VIR in June. Not sure if I'll be in the NSX or Elise.

VB- you coming to VIR March 26-27? Look me up - I'll be in the burgundy Elise. Reportedly there will be six Elises there, plus a few NSX's. -Howard

Yup.. i'll be there on the 26/27th.....

I just have to leave early on the 27th to make it back in time for church... :redface:

yeah.. family wasn't too happy about the racing on easter bit but hey.. i made it for church right?

x

actually, the do have a small, informal service during the noon "quiet hour" on Sunday at VIR.

DCNSX said:
actually, the do have a small, informal service during the noon "quiet hour" on Sunday at VIR.

Yeah.. i know about that one.. i go to VIR so much the guy who runs the service AND the track workers who attend the service all know me... :biggrin:

think i go to VIR too much....

x

This one is for Pedro ;)

x

fangtl said:
^^

That's because this event has been oversold for the past month.

Hank you goin?
x

I wanted to, but looks like I am going to take a pass at this one. The waitlist must be 30 deep by now.

I'm in! I'll be instructing. Good to see the old gang (including the infamous H guys) back at VIR. Should be a great time if the weather works out. I'll probably be bringing my son.

Jeff

Sadly, I cannot make this one. - "H-Guy" Howard

Looks like Hank is out as well. (see above).

I WILL be there next year if they have this configuration again.

fangtl said:
I wanted to, but looks like I am going to take a pass at this one. The waitlist must be 30 deep by now.

Just talked to David N @ mazdadrivers and there is at least one more spot available. It would not hurt to check it out.

yes, zpd doda (Ilene) had to drop out. #@! I wish I could go.

PS- There will be at least one Lotus Elise there- say hi to Max if you get a chance (can't miss it- Dark Green w/ yellow stripes)

I spoke with David N earlier today...there are a couple people ahead of me...keeping my fingers crossed...

We're back from this event. I had RSF944 (Jay) as one of my students, and Max in the Elise as the other! We all hung out together and had a great time. Both of them had spins with me in the car - 2 new members of the 180 club. Jay spun in the bitch (that's the actual name of the turn) due to a bit too much throttle. Max spun on the off-camber blind uphill sweeper that connects back to the full course. Both stayed on the pavement but had to drive off afterward to turn around.

But generally we kept a tight leash on them and were safe overall. Max solo'd on day 2. I'm pulling pix and videos from the camera, and will post a few here soon. Mike Fitzpatrick was there too, along with Xavier and Pedro. Good times were had by all.

For me, one of the best parts was that they allow the instructors to pass anywhere on the course in the instructor's only group. I passed on the inside of the tight turn going into the roller coaster with Max riding along as my passenger. It was awesome. :biggrin:

Jeff

Last edited:
Here's some videos. Jay, maybe you can snap some stills from it.

First one is a bit of Max in his Elise and more of Jay in his NSX going thru the esses. It was taken by my son who is not a star photographer. Max And Jay Video (9 megs).

Here's an in-car video of a full lap of the VIR Grand East course, in my car in the instructor's group. If you haven't seen the grand course, it may be interesting. The MazdaDrivers site says it's the longest road course in the US, at 4.2 miles. VIR Grand East lap (18 megs). Some trucks (like Busch series race trucks) were there, and one blows by me going into the tight twisties in the east course near the end.

Jeff

Max and Jay- Welcome to the 180 club. What, you couldn't make it 360??? :biggrin:

Jeff A said:
Here's some videos. Jay, maybe you can snap some stills from it.

First one is a bit of Max in his Elise and more of Jay in his NSX going thru the esses. It was taken by my son who is not a star photographer. Max And Jay Video (9 megs).

Here's an in-car video of a full lap of the VIR Grand East course, in my car in the instructor's group. If you haven't seen the grand course, it may be interesting. The MazdaDrivers site says it's the longest road course in the US, at 4.2 miles. VIR Grand East lap (18 megs). Some trucks (like Busch series race trucks) were there, and one blows by me going into the tight twisties in the east course near the end.

Jeff

Nice Jeff!....except the Sunglasses you forgot on the sun viser! :eek: :biggrin: Of course, I've forgotten my garage door opener on the viser for a whole event before... :p

You noticed! Yeah, I normally leave them there to put them on before entering the track, but it was cloudy when I pulled out so I forgot to. I really wanted to put them on during the session, but that's a really stupid thing to attempt while performance driving. Mostly they keep the dust out of my contacts.

Hope to see you at another track event soon.

Jeff

Thanks for putting this up Jeff.

There certainly was a lot of info to process with this being my first track event....overwhelming at times, but it was fun.

X...you were right...you don't realize how much you like it until you leave. I'm already looking to sign up for my next event!

It is a little disheartening to see nice cars getting damaged though...both a Boxter and a Viper got crunched (in different sessions).

hehe... :biggrin:

yer hooked now... I talked to Max and he's looking for his next event also..
:smile:

Hope to see ya round... be safe and do me a favor.. shoot me an email that way we can get a pool of track peeps to find ways to split hotel costs...

the more the merrier... err.. cheaper at least.. :tongue:

x

Back